Server providers for South-Africa

"
Hi @Fitzy - thanks for this, makes the game feel amazing!

Just one thing I've noticed while playing, not sure if it's the same for others, but certain zones will have the ping be super unstable. I.e some areas will be constant 10-15ms, others will spike between 80-200. Then I get some areas that see the ping spiking to over 1000-4000, not sure if this is localized? Tried quitting the game and joining again, seems it's the exact same instance+area where the ping spikes drastically.

Thanks again for all of your trouble, we all appreciate it a ton!

The spikey instances are on the Psychz servers, while the consistenly low latency zones are on the Azure VM. It's a luck of a dice roll which one you end up on.
Thank you @Fitzy_GGG for all your testing and effort. It is highly appreciated.

Here are some more MTR's from this afternoon.

Once again, ALL of my friends playing PoE are highly in awe of GGG and especially your efforts to try and assist in giving us a way to play.

Definitely looks like some issues as it hits the internal IP, likely a NAT gateway or load balancer of some sort.
Here's my guess:

It seems like when the servers are at or nearing capacity they start to stutter.

I notice problems around the same time we start to get kicked to EU servers.

I think it's that the resources per instance are not enough. During low pop hours there are zero issues consistently.

I really hope this gets sorted, going back to Frankfurt for half the weekend feels terrible after being at low ping.

***Edit

Caught up on the thread, two separate server providers makes sense. Leaving my message up anyway.
Last edited by addicted2pawn on Oct 25, 2021, 5:29:22 AM
Played on and off today, didn't hit lag once :) Maybe just lucky that I only got Azure server or possibly Psychz has been removed from the server pool for now.

Either way, I look forward to not having to spam new instances (and losing prophecies while doing so), or gambling with my lab runs :)

Hopefully some other options are being looked at, or they are looking at what's causing the instability on the Psychz network.
@fitzy_GGG do you think we'll see consoles added to the local server goodness? Wouldn't mind jamming on Xbox with these awesome local pings.
Fitzy_GGG is an Honorary South African.
"
Fitzy_GGG wrote:
I'm shutting down the login server for the gateway and redirecting traffic for London for a bit. I'm going to increase the size of the Azure VM I'm using so it can hold more players over the weekend.

Please keep in mind that this gateway is primarily there so I can evaluate different server providers, gather data and do stability testing. I've tried my best to set expectations to match this. It's not all going to be peachy, and the option is there to play on another gateway if you're unhappy.

Pings were much more consistent for me after this, usually <50ms with very few spikes. It really is like playing a whole different game. Never thought we'd be able to use Lockstep. We can't ever go back to 200ms pings now 🥺

PS: I bought a big Supporter Pack 🙄 Maybe it will make a difference 😁
Last edited by SabreWolfy on Oct 26, 2021, 11:14:55 AM
It's looking a lot better today on Psychz:

I have turned off Lockstep for now, but that's only because it's still somewhat instable. But nowhere near as bad as the weekend where the ping graph looked like a lie detector.

Experiencing minor jumps in ping (from 32ms to roughly 64ms). Prior to the last post by Fitzy_GGG, these would range from 32ms to 110ms on average, spiking up way high to 200-300ms.

It's getting there!
Seems like evenings when the load increases it spikes, during the day I don't have any issues and early hours of the morning, only on the Psychz servers, the Azure is stable as always, would love to know why an internal IP shows up on trace routes and WINMTR
Looks like the ZA servers have gone down completely. Going straight to London after the patch

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info