Banned for getting free stuff?

A friend of mine has been playing for a couple of months now, putting hundreds of hours in PoE...

A couple of days ago somebody in our Discord mentioned that he felt generous because of the new year and said whoever writes him first will get a couple of Exalts.

Well, two days later he got his account banned for breaching the ToS. He didn't use a bot. He didn't pay real money for currency or whatever. We were just having fun in this game and a random guy was being nice to him.

What is this?

Can I go out with other characters and randomly trade people I hate, giving them a couple of Exalts for free and get them banned?

Feels an awful lot like SWATing...

I get that GGG needs to be harsh in banning. I don't ever want this game to become as bot ridden as Diablo, but really... that's a bit too harsh, or am I missing something?

(Oh yeah, and obviously this is a trash account, because I'm not even sure if GGG is not just rage banning people and I don't want my account with thousands of hours getting wiped because somebody is having a bad day...)
Last edited by illumino941 on Jan 6, 2021, 3:56:33 PM
Last bumped on Jan 7, 2021, 1:45:44 PM
"
illumino941 wrote:
A friend of mine has been playing for a couple of months now, putting hundreds of hours in PoE...

A couple of days ago somebody in our Discord mentioned that he felt generous because of the new year and said whoever writes him first will get a couple of Exalts.

Well, two days later he got his account banned for breaching the ToS. He didn't use a bot. He didn't pay real money for currency or whatever. We were just having fun in this game and a random guy was being nice to him.

What is this?

Can I go out with other characters and randomly trade people I hate, giving them a couple of Exalts for free and get them banned?

Feels an awful lot like SWATing...

I get that GGG needs to be harsh in banning. I don't ever want this game to become as bot ridden as Diablo, but really... that's a bit too harsh, or am I missing something?

(Oh yeah, and obviously this is a trash account, because I'm not even sure if GGG is not just rage banning people and I don't want my account with thousands of hours getting wiped because somebody is having a bad day...)

well since you are logging into this "trash account" from your home and personal pc, GGG now CLEARLY knows who you are.
So GL Exile........ :)

PS.: Your friend can appeal his ban. Put in all the info you have that you want GGG to take into account --> chat logs from this person / trade, Discord logs of this and so on.
Last edited by HanSoloDK on Jan 6, 2021, 4:18:20 PM
Bringing it here isn't going to help your case.
@HanSoloDK
Thanks for the advice. Of course I only created a new account and took no other measures to make sure. And to be honest, if it's somehow a bannable offense to write forum posts about questioning ban politics of a company, then I'll happily move on to another game.

Regarding the appeal: He did appeal. He is still waiting for a response and he has all the chat logs ready. I'm not writing here to get anybody unbanned - especially since I am not mentioning names or are not connected to these accounts in anyway.

The reason why I am writing this is because I think it might be time to rethink the whole system. Maybe give people a temporary ban first, instead of insta-banning them. In that way, people who are not just 24/7 botters have some time to react and get in touch with GGG.

I would assume you would be quite unhappy if you would wake up tomorrow - probably after years (and without botting I hope) - to find your Level 100 char and all others gone because a trade with your friend looked suspicious.

@Shagsbeard
As I said, I am not trying to help the case. Why would I post anonymously if that's my intention? I was wondering if people are aware of this and agree with it, or if they want to change something about that. If you police something "for safety and fairness" with no limits, you end up in China, not Utopia.
It is called rmt....

"correct" or relatively safe way to do is via guild stash
This is the start of forum signature: I am not a GGG employee. About the username: Did you know Kowloon Gundam is made in Neo Hong Kong?

quote from the first page: "Please post one thread per issue, and check the forum for similar posts first"

This is the end of forum signature
Last edited by neohongkong on Jan 6, 2021, 4:55:39 PM
"
neohongkong wrote:
It is called rmt....

"correct" or relatively safe way to do is via guild stash

Its not RMT. He could get banned for being supsected of RMT, but not for RMT w/o any evidence.

Keep in mind that getting banned in PoE for "nothing" isnt new in PoE. Even some streamers (like Empy) got banned for some bs and had to wait few days for unban.
receiving free stuff clearly in the grey area of ToS. GGG think it is rmt then it is rmt. And yet appeal process is not public so we never know the exact ban reason

For streamer, well, some of them clearly receive a lot of free stuff from follower or accused rmt, and quite a lot of them use script that clearly flagged as not allowed software for non-streamer

And yet GGG was very often accused of give ban immunity card to streamer....
This is the start of forum signature: I am not a GGG employee. About the username: Did you know Kowloon Gundam is made in Neo Hong Kong?

quote from the first page: "Please post one thread per issue, and check the forum for similar posts first"

"My friend", a classic opening line in most of these posts.
Still play SSF on my main account :)
Over the years i giveaway more than 500 ex.Never had a problem
"
d1rtiq wrote:
Over the years i giveaway more than 500 ex.Never had a problem

It is different from receive....

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info