EXALTED ORB Price Shenanigans [Expedition].170:1 Terrible patch = terrible economy. *shrugs*

"
DarthSki44 wrote:
Spoiler
Spoiler
"
BrettLee wrote:

1. How have you determined that GGG focuses on les than 1% of players? Is this an exercise in mental gymnastics?

2. What makes you think they don't care about the actual game experience? Can you reconcile this with your comment that they want the average player's money? Perhaps you can't because you are clueless? While you are at it, find me another 10 year old game with quarterly updates similar to POE.

3. Explain how bloat is an issue. When a player encounters a new mechanic for the first time, they have the option to learn it, or ignore it and learn about it later. POE has a lot of mechanics, build types, etc. etc, but the amount that you actually need to know to play the game isn't that deep. As new players learn the basics, they can start to engage with and learn different mechanics.

How does removing mechanics benefit the game? Should we remove delve, heist and <insert random mechanic> that at least a reasonable number of players enjoy? Just another baseless remark from. The depth and variety is part of the appeal of the game. The fact that players can continue to learn things after more than a day or two of playing the game is a pro, not a con.

4. Nerfing the most overpowered and meta skills alienates players? Thats a new one.

5. Ultimatum's player retention statistics are aligned with Ritual at the moment. Most leagues follow a similar trend. The one exception to this was Harvest, which had markedly lower retention, and the worst player retention out of any league released to date.

This is a long, seemingly baited post, but I will try to answer your questions, even though I dont believ they are in good faith, nor do I believe that you even want to consider many issues with the game as problems (for whatever reason)

1. If you have read the most recent manifesto's on their balance changes, it's hard to imagine anyone coming to a conclusion that their considerations are based on total player experience. Harvest is a good example, but it isnt the only one. Using TFT discord or Reddit item showcases as reasoning behind some of the crazy items available, shows the disconnect. Perhaps, at most, a couple thousand (likely less), used their guilds, discord, etc... to make outrageously OP items. Most players used Harvest as a way to fix average items to assist in gear progression, not spending dozens to hundreds on exalts, influence orbs, maven orbs, to cratf multiple x5 or 6 T1 gear. That's a total lie and misrepresentation of the playerbase.

Also with their statistical analysis on skill usage, they tend to look at what's most common at higher levels, which on its face seems fine. However they never detail what percentage of players make it to those benchmark levels. (70, 80, 90 etc..). So you end up having a double percentage analysis, which is faulty. If 15% of players make it to 90+ (totally made up), how is the analysis of that particular segment a good basis for wholesale balance changes of a particular skill? It's not reasonable.

2 & 3. These are pretty tied together. PoE's performance, visual clutter, skill effects, and texture issues are well documented. Even in extremely high end rigs (see Shroud's disbelief), the game is a nightmare.

As far as the bloat is concerned, you could easily invest 60-80 hours and reach level 90 without even touching Delve, Jun, Heist, Alva, and more. This doesnt even touch on the atlas & conquerors, Maven, Sirus, passives unlocks, ect. Again it seems like the game is providing choice, but all progression and balance is tied to multiple features. Map drops rates, crafting, currency & drop rates take into account all the previous league mechanics. It's too much, and they are unable to balance it.

4. We already touched on their flawed analysis of what they think the "meta" is. They look at the top end performance of skills without asking how many got there, or how successful those builds are without significant min/max. What ends up happening is they balance content off "meta" performance of the minority of the playerbase, and dont consider what those impacts have on the larger scale. Not everyone is capable of spending tons of currency, are experts on PoB and min/maxing, play the flask piano, etc. Every league is seemingly a knee jerk reaction to what they see (stream/reddit/forums), and less on what is actually happening. I dont see how significant changes to minions, then nerfing, then buffing, then nerfing again, is helpful. The same thing has happened to many skills, and leaves the average player wondering what the fuck is going on league to league.

5. Your analysis of league statistical performance is both flawed and misguided. If you are going to compare different league expansion sizes, at different time launches, to serve a particular narrative, that's fine by me, as it's not a winnable argument with the limited data we have. It's hard to even get a clear picture with COVID, bots, or game competition, and only grabbing data from Steam. What it really boils down to is revenue performance and how retention of actual players impacts this. We wont really know this for awhile yet. I have my suspicions that recent GGG development strategy is going to impact them negatively, but we will see.

For this league specifically, I will be interested in seeing the challenge level break down as that actually involves statistics for all players in the league.

1. Completely incorrect. TFT and discord are not the reason harvest was nerfed. It was nerfed because it was completely broken, with or without trade.
(a) SSF Ritual players had better items in one month than the top builds in trade league Heist after 3 months. For evidence, look at manni's items after 1 month, particularly on his Raider and BV Occultist.
The assertion that you need guilds to make crazy items when players were doing it in SSF is laughable. Are double elevated tailwind, onslaught boots with 35%, elusive, t1 res and life not godly? How about T1 life, power crit, additional curse, res, explode chest? That is one month of SSF, no guild, no trade. Not to mention 131 life helmet with -9% fire res, phys as fire, t1 INT and T1 res helmet. Introducing the ability to obtain better gear is one thing, but this suggests that it was over the top.
(b) The game is not that difficult. Anything short of content such as the feared or 100% delirious maps is doable with maybe 2-3ex of equipment for the vast majority of characters. If harvest was to remain, content would need to be ramped up signficantly and harvest crafted equipment would become compulsory for the new end game encounters.
(c) Its power was completely out of whack with any other mechanic in the game. If you remove trade from crafts, or harvest crafted items, then you have no option but to farm harvest non-stop. Every league from here on out would be the same as well, Atoll, Atoll, Atoll.
(d) The risk/reward element is non-existent. Kill a pack of mobs and get targeted exalts/divines/20 chaos orbs worth of fossils. Yeah ok.
(e) Harvest pushes you to a point where you can compltely trivialise content in a short amount of time. When you first encounter bosses like the Sirus, Uber Elder or the Maven, these can be challenging fights. With Harvest in the game, you go from being able to beat them to insta phasing them in a short time frame.

2 & 3. No real response, but your second paragraph is complaining about an ARPG having content. And no, you don't need to do any of those side mechanics. Your response is odd, because you talk as though Alva and Jun are mandatory mechanics, and THEN players have to complete the Atlas / Conquerors / Sirus? Its the other way around, and you can completely skip other mechanics. Map drops aren't connected to these things as well, you can definitely progress without engaging with every mechanic you see. I'm at T16s now, I only do ultimatums and zero effort mechanics such as breach/blight/legion when they appear in maps.

4. You have tried to dodge the question. Are you going to tell me that Blade Vortex, Carrion Golem and Spectres were not OP for several leagues? You can still push the vast majority of skills to red maps on a modest budget/shit gear. Meta and OP skills get nerfed, deal with it.

5. Its not a perfect or deep analysis, but the figures are not nothing, are relevant, and are the best that we have. I'm not arguing that Ultimatum is their most successful league, but it is aligned with recent leagues. I would argue that having broadly similar retention rates to an expansion league (3.13 echoes of the atlas) is a success.
Last edited by BrettLee on Apr 27, 2021, 8:57:02 PM
LOL homies saying level 100s toons broke. Well they should be. its idiots un trade that make it ez at 70 or 80 that got it nerf

literally tons of player complained it's all TFT-all-the-time. Anyway I dont mind nerfs if they stuck to manifesto script. But has NOT been. tier 4s nerfs to the ground. As in not worth playing let alone payin 12c for
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Apr 27, 2021, 9:09:33 PM
Exalted is less then 150c now 😵 - what is happening.
Last edited by magicdownunder on Apr 28, 2021, 8:32:58 AM
Without any research I'd guess some youtubers made videos about how profitable Heists still are and now everyone and their mom is back to farming exalts in Heist.
"
Sadaukar wrote:
Without any research I'd guess some youtubers made videos about how profitable Heists still are and now everyone and their mom is back to farming exalts in Heist.

I know some streamer posted the exalted shard farming plan yesterday but I don't think the impact should be THAT big when 3.14 throws chaos at everyone.
crazy how people don't understand what's going on and just make stuff up. Exalted are worth a lot more cause of demand, they are used for new style of crafting very good items.
"
momonami5 wrote:
they are used for new style of crafting very good items.

Close your eyes and slam is the "new style" of crafting.

LOL
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
146:1 Actually going down? What's hapepning?
Last edited by SunL4D2 on Apr 28, 2021, 5:51:17 PM
A bot ban! League is saved!
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/988f3369-4b68-4eb9-bc0e-edfce4c3c950

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info