Path of Exile is going VULKAN. Most under-rated news out of Exilecon...

"
"
"
I would say it is the most overrated news, as well as Vulkan itself.

In the very best case Vulkan will add 10% more FPS, but Vulkan support in PoE means GGG would have to split their time between dx11 and Vulkan which overall will reduce game performance. I.e. Vulkan support will give absolutely nothing to the average player.
10%? Maybe, if it was really, really, really, poorly implemented.

Says who - Vulkan witnesses cult member? I've seen FPS comparison in different games on modern PCs and difference in FPS between Vulkan and dx11 was from -5% to +8% (mostly +).

There's your issue right there. The main benefit of Vulkan and DirectX 12 is the effect it has on low performance/very old CPU's. It drastically reduces the CPU bottleneck, but if you have a CPU that is barely bottlenecked then you're not going to see much difference.

So the benefits of DirectX 12 and Vulkan is that a significantly broader range of CPU's can sufficiently handle the CPU side of a games work load.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Nov 20, 2019, 2:37:40 AM
"
different versions of Windows are used by almost 96% of all gaming PCs. Therefore, rhetorical question is - why any game developer company would bother adding support for 3rd party API potentially used by only 4% of players when dx12 with guaranteed support on windows exist?

There are multiple versions of DirectX 12 with differing feature sets and the version available to someone is dependent on their version of Windows 10. All complete (for their time) DirectX 12 suites are exclusive to Windows 10 (a subset is available for Windows 7)

There are multiple versions of Vulkan available for all versions of Windows 10, and recent versions of Windows 8, Windows 7, Mac, Linux, (iOS & Android) etc. and all of them have access to the same feature set when using the same version of the API regardless of O/S (feature set is only limited by hardware capabilities).

While it's harder to debug issues with Vulkan than DirectX 12, it's far simpler to get a consistent experience across multiple platforms with Vulkan.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Nov 20, 2019, 2:42:38 AM
Watch when there are bugs or it crashes a lot, or they scrap it entirely...
They will blame Nvidia and AMD.

ALL GGG DOES IS BLAME OTHERS WHEN THEY SCREW UP...
My life is slipping away...
Addiction is a harsh drug...
"
EstocSlayer wrote:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2645473
Someone's evil twin.
"
Bluppins wrote:
"
EstocSlayer wrote:

blah blah blah

"
GGG wrote:

Recent versions of the Nvidia driver including the most recent, 436.30, have this issue. We can't reproduce the problem on Nvidia driver version 419.17. We don't yet know what Path of Exile is doing to cause the crash, but the graphics driver should never crash regardless of what the game does. We have contacted Nvidia to bring it to their attention.

Blaming Nvidia, good job GGG
"
EstocSlayer wrote:
"
Bluppins wrote:
"
EstocSlayer wrote:

blah blah blah

"
GGG wrote:

Recent versions of the Nvidia driver including the most recent, 436.30, have this issue. We can't reproduce the problem on Nvidia driver version 419.17. We don't yet know what Path of Exile is doing to cause the crash, but the graphics driver should never crash regardless of what the game does. We have contacted Nvidia to bring it to their attention.

Blaming Nvidia, good job GGG
Hate to break it to you, but they were right in that the game shouldn't be able to cause the GPU drivers to crash lol. And 436.x in particular was in fact a pretty buggy series of updates, with the drivers crashing in a wide variety of games. I couldn't play Raft or GTA V without rolling back, myself. Even 440 didn't work for me with those games, but 441 has been fine.
I have a pretty good sense of humor. I'm not German.
Last edited by aggromagnet on Nov 20, 2019, 4:23:45 AM
The fact is there is no proof and they are always passing the blame.
"
EstocSlayer wrote:
The fact is there is no proof and they are always passing the blame.

aha you think games and drivers communicate perfectly 100% of the time
All I'm saying is that it appears there is a recurring theme with them passing blame...
Vulkan is not a miracle. The game won't run 50% better because of it. Go from 40 FPS to 60+ FPS? Not going to happen. It's the game's fault for bad performance, not DX11.

This account is going to be deleted in 1 day.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info