Path of Exile is going VULKAN. Most under-rated news out of Exilecon...

"
Strained wrote:
I work in game development and have used Vulcan, DX11, DX12, OpenGL, etc.

Vulcan is not magically faster, as people seem to think. In fact, it can be much slower due to building shader states on the fly (DX11/12 get around this by letting you build those binaries before hand). That said, you can do the same for Vulcan by precaching during load time (at the expense of some additional loading time).

Vulcan's selling point is it's platform support (much like OpenGL) but with a more modern API (like DX 11). The actual underlying speed is pretty negligible between all the APIs.

Nope, it's not "magically" faster and it "can" be slower. But that comes back to if it's implemented and optimized well, it is at least equal in most areas, slightly better in some, and slightly worse in others--while being far more flexible platform-wise.
I have a pretty good sense of humor. I'm not German.
"
Strained wrote:
Vulcan's selling point is it's platform support (much like OpenGL) but with a more modern API (like DX 11). The actual underlying speed is pretty negligible between all the APIs.
You mean DirectX 12 in that part I bolded. OpenGL targets being a platform agnostic API that is similar to DirectX 11.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Nov 19, 2019, 9:28:11 AM
"
aggromagnet wrote:
Nope, it's not "magically" faster and it "can" be slower. But that comes back to if it's implemented and optimized well, it is at least equal in most areas, slightly better in some, and slightly worse in others--while being far more flexible platform-wise.

Agreed. OP seemed to be in the camp of, "Vulcan gives us a significant performance for free!" which it doesn't. If it did, everyone would use it by default. :)
PoE has always been vastly underperforming on AMD cards. Maybe Vulkan will change that.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
Strained wrote:
I work in game development and have used Vulcan, DX11, DX12, OpenGL, etc.

Vulcan is not magically faster, as people seem to think. In fact, it can be much slower due to building shader states on the fly (DX11/12 get around this by letting you build those binaries before hand). That said, you can do the same for Vulcan by precaching during load time (at the expense of some additional loading time).

may be a party with 6 necro consist of multiple golems, zombie, skelly, vaal skelly. That's cause enough congestion on DX11 drawcalls. :)

this league I have been to team like that with 4-5 necros, my quad core CPU is never over 60% in hideout where everyone doing nothing. It is almost as if one the CPU cores are choked.
Last edited by Darkkrows on Nov 19, 2019, 12:02:48 PM
"
Xavderion wrote:
PoE has always been vastly underperforming on AMD cards. Maybe Vulkan will change that.

Exactly. I still believe that POE performance on AMD video card is like 30% lower than Nvidia when u have approx same class gpus. Maybe Vulkan support can fix this.
Will this help me run poe at 100 fps steady on my gtx 1080ti?
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
DirectX is so over-bloated and is an inefficient GPU API so Vulkan is good news for better client side gpu performance. Now if you could just get a hold of a cargo ship of Scalosian water so we can play faster (hyper speed runs) then we can all reach level 100 in the first week of every league.  :)
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
"
"
I would say it is the most overrated news, as well as Vulkan itself.

In the very best case Vulkan will add 10% more FPS, but Vulkan support in PoE means GGG would have to split their time between dx11 and Vulkan which overall will reduce game performance. I.e. Vulkan support will give absolutely nothing to the average player.
10%? Maybe, if it was really, really, really, poorly implemented.

Says who - Vulkan witnesses cult member? I've seen FPS comparison in different games on modern PCs and difference in FPS between Vulkan and dx11 was from -5% to +8% (mostly +). Difference between Vulkan and dx12 wasn't even noticeable.

"
you can't get close to the performance capabilities of a well optimized Vulkan/DirectX 12 implementation.

You just admitted that Vulkan and dx12 have similar performance.

"
Why would you support both DirectX 12 and Vulkan when one is supported by one O/S (with features spread across multiple versions of that O/S...) while the other is supported by Linux, Macintosh, Android, iOS, Windows 7, Windows 8 and all versions of Windows 10 (Vulkan)?

According to https://www.statista.com/statistics/265033/proportion-of-operating-systems-used-on-the-online-gaming-platform-steam/, different versions of Windows are used by almost 96% of all gaming PCs. Therefore, rhetorical question is - why any game developer company would bother adding support for 3rd party API potentially used by only 4% of players when dx12 with guaranteed support on windows exist?
retired from forum because of censorship and discrimination
cross platform? you think path of exile has a chance at being cross platform? cause that would be incredible

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info