Path of Exile is going VULKAN. Most under-rated news out of Exilecon...

So, for those who aren't aware, during an interview with a streamer (it was amusing - the streamer died 3 times at a level 2 boss), Chris confirmed they are porting POE over to Vulkan due to its multi-platform support (it is also what the mobile game will be on as well).

This is a HUGE deal.

DX, in all its versions, has a LOT of bloat to it. Vulkan allows creators to max out performance while taking negligible performance hits. It is going to help POE in terms of performance by a TON. Yes, I know not all of the lag and frame skips are because of the engine. But they are working on that as well, and now having a vulkan Api, the game will be 100% cross platform, and likely (if optimized well), will perform like a champ.

Do some research on Id's Doom re-release with the Vulkan patch, and read how some older AMD cards went from double to triple digit FPS, just by using vulkan (and because ID tweaked the hell out of it, squeezing every last bit of performance out of the API).

I can't wait.
Last bumped on Jun 21, 2020, 11:45:49 AM
"
ZionHalcyon wrote:
So, for those who aren't aware, during an interview with a streamer (it was amusing - the streamer died 3 times at a level 2 boss), Chris confirmed they are porting POE over to Vulkan due to its multi-platform support (it is also what the mobile game will be on as well).

This is a HUGE deal.

DX, in all its versions, has a LOT of bloat to it. Vulkan allows creators to max out performance while taking negligible performance hits. It is going to help POE in terms of performance by a TON. Yes, I know not all of the lag and frame skips are because of the engine. But they are working on that as well, and now having a vulkan Api, the game will be 100% cross platform, and likely (if optimized well), will perform like a champ.

Do some research on Id's Doom re-release with the Vulkan patch, and read how some older AMD cards went from double to triple digit FPS, just by using vulkan (and because ID tweaked the hell out of it, squeezing every last bit of performance out of the API).

I can't wait.

Yep, should be quite beneficial in general...so long as they implement it well, and so long as players are patient with any growing pains that come with it. Some games have switched over relatively pain-free, others such as No Man's Sky had a host of issues to work out.

The only real downside is for people playing the game on older potato gpu's. They won't have any choice but to finally upgrade to a newer one.
I have a pretty good sense of humor. I'm not German.
Last edited by aggromagnet on Nov 18, 2019, 11:01:28 PM
"
ZionHalcyon wrote:
(if optimized well)

I hold on doubt.
"Parade your victories, hide your defeats. Mortals are so insecure."

Once you break the cycle of fear no angels or demons can whisper you their sweet nothing words.

Retired since crucible.(Not a free tester anymore for a multi billion dollar company).
"
aggromagnet wrote:

Yep, should be quite beneficial in general...so long as they implement it well, and so long as players are patient with any growing pains that come with it. Some games have switched over relatively pain-free, others such as No Man's Sky had a host of issues to work out.

The only real downside is for people playing the game on older potato gpu's. They won't have any choice but to finally upgrade to a newer one.

As far as i remember nvidia has Vulkan support all the way back to 650 cards, so potatoes grade machines should still be fine.
"
SaintLucifer wrote:
"
aggromagnet wrote:

As far as i remember nvidia has Vulkan support all the way back to 650 cards, so potatoes grade machines should still be fine.

Technically supported and actually tolerable can be two very different things though. My personal experience with low-tier supported AMD gpus and graphics-heavy games that switched to or launched with Vulkan was...far from good.

NMS being a good example. Pretty decent performance at medium to medium-high settings on my wife's R9 295x before Vulkan pretty much evaporated overnight when they switched in August. It's playable but it's really subpar compared to before. Whereas on my 2080 rtx it's even better than it was before. And she's one of those not-so-serious gamers who doesn't feel like she should have to upgrade for a game that was just fine, so I often find myself getting chased away from my PC when she does want to play. Sigh...
Last edited by aggromagnet on Nov 19, 2019, 12:57:47 AM
I'm hoping that Vulkan support means we'll finally get a native Linux client. That would make me a very happy little exile.
A MacOS client is coming. If it sees a reasonably decent adoption rate, a Linux followup seems plausible.
"
Magn3th3ad wrote:
I'm hoping that Vulkan support means we'll finally get a native Linux client. That would make me a very happy little exile.

I second that. Although PoE going Vulkan will probably be sufficient for Wine to handle it even better.
It already runs nearly flawlessly on Wine/ Proton with dxvk.
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
Awesome news, should be a tremendous performance uplift for 10 year old CPU's. My i7 290 and Geoforce 1070Ti easily hits the 200FPS cap in DOOM 2016 with Vulkan for example while hovering around 120FPS (depending on scene) with OpenGL.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Nov 19, 2019, 3:18:04 AM
I would say it is the most overrated news, as well as Vulkan itself.

In the very best case Vulkan will add 10% more FPS, but Vulkan support in PoE means GGG would have to split their time between dx11 and Vulkan which overall will reduce game performance. I.e. Vulkan support will give absolutely nothing to the average player.
retired from forum because of censorship and discrimination

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info