Oni-Goroshi in Current League - are You gonna farm it or drop it?

"
Turtledove wrote:
Arrowneous deserves a special title, how about "oni-goroshi goroshi"?

I read the thread in December of 2017 about the player who actually figured out that by continuously running up the TSB, killing Hillock, and then logging out and waiting the 1.5 mins for the zone to reset and keep repeating this until into level 6 (in the beginning) eventually a different Hillock with a ghostly green aura would show up with a special sword run through him. This I learned was the magical 6-linked Oni-Goroshi. It's an amazing discovery as I would have never in a million years ever thought to logout and not advance into Lioneye's Watch. I never ever gave it any thought that the Twilight Strand Beach is the only zone that you can't travel to. You can't go back to it once you leave it. Thus the player that decided "hey what if I just logout and run the beach again and again to gain xp. Will doing this ever lead to something special?" is either a sheer genius or insanely mad to keep making TSB runs over and over, ever increasing the new character's xp until one time, not finding anything different after 100s of runs up the beach, a different Hillock was there, that which we know as Uber Hillock. A truly amazing first discovery. In Baeclast #41 Chris was asked if there are still any hidden items that no one has found yet and he was non-committal with his answer. Too bad he didn't give a yes answer. That would surely drive a few players insane. Where in the vastness of PoE are other easter eggs waiting to be discovered (we'll never know).

Anyway since my first OG I've accumalated 21 Charan's Swords to date. In the beginning UH was an easy level 6 find but GGG nerfed this as too many players were running around with an OG. Today with 19 of them sitting in my Standard League stash it's not about the use of them but it is my own personal challenge goal to grind out 23 OGs. Why 23 you ask (or probably don't give a rat's ass about... fair enough)? The number 23 has been used by Hollywood in movies and tv shows so much that it is now a magical number (just like 42 is because of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy). So my personal challenge is to grind out 23. I'm sure anyone reading this will think me crazy for doing the OG grind to this level of insanity. They could be right but I'm aspi and as such once I get a routine going I tend to want to keep repeating it (repetitiveness of a task is a comfort to aspi persons) so 1000s of TSB runs without any stress (never worrying about being one-shot) is quite soothing. Just the sound of the waves lapping up on the beach, the occasional squeak of a Sand Spitter, the moans of zombies, and the sounds of my exile walking through the surf.

My hat's off to Charan for creating such a wonderful sword and for GGG to allow a 6-link weapon to be an easter egg grind challenge at the very start and not buried somewhere in the endgame. Doing that is pure genius. The bonus of getting tons of extra dialogue using Charan's Sword is also pure genius and very fun to hear. I sincerely thank you Charan for going the extra miles to create the voice dialogues. That must have taken much time to do. Your sword will always stand out among all other player designed PoE items because of this.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
"
Turtledove wrote:
Arrowneous deserves a special title, how about "oni-goroshi goroshi"?

He is inexhaustible.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
An achievement for killing Uber Hillock would be cool.
Remember when I won a screenshot contest and made everyone butt-hurt? Pepperidge Farm remembers.
If you look at the Oni-Goroshi wiki entry there is a Rebirth divination card. But you have to get 27 to turn in for an OG. It lists 13 zones where the card can drop. In all my playing of PoE I have yet to get even 1 of these cards so GGG has foobar-ed their chance to drop but good and WTF on needing 27. That's never going to happen and GGG needs to make it a real farmable card like you can with Humility for a Tabula and same 9 quantity.

The OG wiki also has a link to a Reddit post: My final unique, Oni-Goroshi, which just went in. The first comment says "you'll drink my love until you can't". That's exactly what I was thinking when I first googled "oni-goroshi" and found out it's also an alcoholic beverage:

Oni-Goroshi, aka Demon Slayer, is the perfect name for this sword.

Edit: What would be a very cool twist would be for GGG to have the Oni-Goroshi be a 100% guaranteed drop item from UH if you are ≥ level 9. That would drive us crazy grinding into level 8. The higher you got the more you would not want UH to show up. I had to grind into level 9 (> 7.5 hours game time) on 4 exiles so GGG should make the pain of that amount of grind be a double reward.
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

Last edited by Arrowneous on Jun 30, 2019, 7:21:36 AM
Another wiki link lead me to The Goddess Swords Discussion. Has it really been nearly 6 years? The 24th December, 2017: 'Twas the night before Christmas...' part is an interesting read. Charan states the Oni-Goroshi is only 3 days old. He also said "I was actually level 8 when my first one dropped, which sucks." Today (after patch 3.2.0 nerf) we all laugh at that kwowing we routinely have to grind into level 8. Before the nerf my lowest level to get UH was just under level 6.

As for the pre Oni swords I only ever got 1 of them:

"
鬼殺し wrote:
27 was my call. 3 x 3 x 3.

The rarity was not.

I have now collected 8 across 2 accounts since the Div Card was released.
The rarity, as you have noted previously, sucks.
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
Every league since it was put in I've always farmed 4. Takes me a week with the time I have available. I find it enjoyable for some odd reason, plus it gives me enough currency for multiple builds throughout the league. So thanks 鬼殺し
Stream= twitch.tv/truskillzzruns
24:12:33 ... so just over a full day of farming across five characters -- and itr FINALLY dropped for me today!

So ... what's this league do? :-)
"
Every league since it was put in I've always farmed 4. Takes me a week with the time I have available....

...if my first true gaming love had not come back from the dead, I would be doing the same. So much better than looking for the cards...
"
Every league since it was put in I've always farmed 4. Takes me a week with the time I have available. I find it enjoyable for some odd reason, plus it gives me enough currency for multiple builds throughout the league. So thanks 鬼殺し

I find it relaxing. I like having a set of OG farmers around for when the Minotaur kills me until I run out of portals and I want to break my keyboard. In those times I can shut off the brain and get in some OG farming zen time while still being kind of productive from a "I want to make money so I can afford the gear to kill the endgame stuff" standpoint.

Just pulled down my second for the league yesterday:

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info