Oni-Goroshi in Current League - are You gonna farm it or drop it?

Uber Hillock... oh uber Hillock... please come out and play. I have run up the beach many 100s of times and have grown weary of not finding you.

UH, please don't be so shy. We can make beautiful sand castles and be friends... NO? But at least do come out and play the "dance of death" game with me. We will have so much fun and... (I snap out of my zombie killing afk state of mind). FINALLY!... there you are! (level 8.5 duelist). I was beginning to worry that you weren't going to loop back again to play with me (think Groundhog Day movie):

And so the "in your face" double strike battle begins. I wonder what ranger(s) failed to kill him and quit (arrows in his back and shoulder). Come here and let me end your suffering.

The new melee weapon swing visuals (close up look).
Watch out... Hillock packs a mean punch.

I had to back off a couple of times to let UH leap slam as I needed the Awakened so I could refill my health flasks.

To answer Charan's question: 2 minutes, 49 seconds time to kill UH with duelist DS.
And I took about 10 secs getting the right zoomed in view for the pic of the melee visuals.

UH is tougher now but with the automatic secondary damage to nearby Awakened the actual fight is even easier with the new dodge mechanics. I could run around UH and hit him in the back and he couldn't hurt my duelist. He did get one critical hit in and that took about 90% of my 183 health but easy to immediately back off and heal up (and let him create a few Awakened for flask refilling). All in all the melee changes make the UH fight very satisfying (totally smooth throughout).

I also spotted this:

We now get a red star on the mini-map to indicate the drop location of Charan's Sword. GGG is incrementally improving the visuals. Nice!

And now for the fruits of my labor:

SIGH! I'll need to Blessed Orb the terrible 72% crit roll. But I also got a Tabula drop last night so I now have two 6 socket items. I'm happy for my time spent on the beach. Now back to my rage cycloner.

To all Oni-Goroshi sword grinders, NEVER GIVE UP!
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
"
Arrowneous wrote:
To all Oni-Goroshi sword grinders, NEVER GIVE UP!

I agree. It might seem hopeless at some point but keep going and you will eventually get it.

Remember when I won a screenshot contest and made everyone butt-hurt? Pepperidge Farm remembers.
I finally got it. 14,8 hours of farming. But it got max crit roll :)
"
freddykrger1 wrote:
I finally got it. 14,8 hours of farming. But it got max crit roll :)

Awesome. I have 2 90% crit Oni swords out of farming 20 total to date (my first sword was in December of 2017). However, I do have 4 TSBL9 club members out of the UH hunters so 1/5th of my grinding efforts had to go the full distance.

Congrats to all who get to fight UH.

Edit: I triple the game time of just over 4 hours to kill UH to guestimate my total real time to get my Oni sword.
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

Last edited by Arrowneous on Jun 22, 2019, 10:37:30 AM
"
鬼殺し wrote:
So anything from 3 minutes to 15, depending. Hm. That's a lot longer than I thought. Hmm. Second question: is most of that after he draws the sword?

Also, was I reading right, that the new range changes to melee means the game reads 2 handers as 'ranged' and so will trigger his spawn-generating leap slam?

Depends on your class I guess. I have found on the duelist that dual striking with 2 Nailed Fist weapons work better than 1 weapon and a shield. Offence and speed is more important than defense in this battle. The core changes now make it better to go melee with an "in your face UH" attack than ranged as the new dodge mechanics work very well and he will only leap slam once. If you do take a crit hit it is easy to back off and heal up. Deliberately backing off and letting him LS and summon his minions for flask refilling is now a piece of cake with the melee damage of DS hitting many Awakened at once and quickly dispatching them (while still attacking UH). I had 3 life and 2 mana flasks but I didn't even need the 2nd mana flask. My next exile to eventually fight UH is a Shadow.

My < 3 minutes (2 mins. 49 secs) to dual strike kill UH should be pretty average if you don't let UH leap slam and generate (wake up) too many zombie minions. If I focused on the fight exclusively and not take time for pics I probably can get down to 2½ mins. Oh right, I was at level 8.5 so if I get to fight UH earlier (< level 8) it's going to take a little longer.

Last edited by Arrowneous on Jun 22, 2019, 10:45:02 AM
"
鬼殺し wrote:
So anything from 3 minutes to 15, depending. Hm. That's a lot longer than I thought. Hmm. Second question: is most of that after he draws the sword?

Also, was I reading right, that the new range changes to melee means the game reads 2 handers as 'ranged' and so will trigger his spawn-generating leap slam?

UH pulls the sword quite early in the battle. I guess I got his health down to 50% fast so most of the time he was attacking with the sword. He regens back to full health (no way to stop that) so I'd say at least 90% of the battle is with him sword swinging. When he is unarmed attacking he alternates between fists but the new melee mechanics make his sword wind up easier to dodge. Excellent melee changes GGG. This is most definitely "working as intended" and working well in the early stages of play.

Edit: Hmm... I had to deliberately back off and let him LS as I ran out of life flasks and needed to kill some minions. I did that twice so he did his leap slam 3 times. I'll switch to 4 life and 1 mana for my Shadow UH battle and see if I can in his face kill him and check if he still only leaps once at 10% health. I have never battled with a 2 hand weapon (I always opt for attack speed) and can't answer the 2 hand question.

Last edited by Arrowneous on Jun 22, 2019, 11:05:37 AM
Agree with you, Arrowneous. And congrats!

Now with animation canceling for melee, the fight becomes more about timing and strategy.
Which is a good thing because he starts hitting ridiculously hard as soon as he pulls out the sword, so you can't really stand toe to toe and tank him.
I don't think he has more HP when he draws the sword, but running around him makes the fight longer.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
"
鬼殺し wrote:

Some classes definitely have an easier time with Uber Hillock according to the many posts in this thread. I used a 2h weapon when I fought him and you can avoid the leap slam if you stay really close to Uber Hillock. In my encounter on a Templar, I spent more time hitting and running away before he pulled the sword out because his zombies helped me kill him quicker after pulling the sword out.
Remember when I won a screenshot contest and made everyone butt-hurt? Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Got UH after running several hours spread across two evenings. It was the third run after hitting level 7 on this character!
I didn't even notice while engaging until my first swing didn't remove at least 25% of Hillock's health.
Very challenging fight, had to get back into the hit-once-run-around tactic again that I couldn't be bothered to do anymore since level 5 or something... Had to let him leap slam twice to get some health flask charges from the zombies though.
I've ran with 3 characters: 2 duelists and 1 Scion. All had around 1h26m played time when I got UH to spawn on my first character.

Edit: Got a pretty decent roll too :)

Last edited by Gemkin on Jun 23, 2019, 1:59:47 AM
i like using a ranger to get my oni-gs. the pierce gem makes it so much safer. in the past i've tried using scion but spec throw chews through my mana far too quickly.

by the time i see UH, i'm usually level 8. and i've often found a decent rare bow. so the fight only takes about about 3 minutes or so. (i should start-up OBS when i find UH so i can record + time these encounters, huh?) also by that time, i'm using any gear that gives me attack damage. my tool tip damage text is usually 100+ (often around 120).

i've farmed 3 swords so far, and i'm wondering if they've either nerfed or bugged UH's leap slam. i got jumped on a few times, and appears i took zero damage.

*shrugs*

(sold a third oni-g for 2 ex a couple days ago.)
ooh! 'member when PoE was good and fun? i 'member!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info