Donald Trump and US politics

"
Xavderion wrote:
"
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
Happy anniversary for the Year of Salt!

She's still not locked up. There's no wall. No repeal & replace.

Why have you no salt? Those are the only things making me salty. Can't the cheeto get anything done?

Daddy is our wall. Illegal immigration dropped 70%.

Ain't it the truth!
"
Jennik wrote:
Scrotes, how are you so consistently wrong about damn near everything? You bring up the "identitarianism." You don't reply with screeds about "intersectional majority-identitarianism" when some racist asshole posts "it's okay to be white,"

The whole point of that IOTBW campaign is to point out the 'intersectional majority-identitarianism' movement and mock its movement for being racist, both in praising some groups more than others and denigrating some groups, solely based on race.

"
Jennik wrote:
"build the wall,"

Does your computer have a firewall running? If so, does that make your computer racist? If the flood of excess immigration were coming from Canada, the Wall would be built up on the US' northern border.

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
"
ChanBalam wrote:
"
Xavderion wrote:
That is not growing anybody's economy. When a restaurant gets suddenly popular and people eat there, they are doing so instead of spending money at a different restaurant or in some other way. The owner of the newly popular restaurant may get richer, but somebody else sees lost sales. There is no economic growth; it is just moving money around within the Japanese economy in a slightly different way.

When someone opens a tier 15 map, it just means there are now less tier 15 maps for everyone else to run.....

Growing the economy is akin to map rotations, where the whole becomes greater than its individual components.
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
"
It's a pre-incarceration shot. Last chance to pose in their 'freedom' clothing together.

Indeed, for some it could be.

These Trump cultists are ridiculous. Trumplings, she lost. Get over it.

U.S. Economy Losing Billions As 'Trump Slump' Continues In Tourism Sector

It's not just illegal immigrants. Trump and his cult have turned America into a laughingstock. Nobody wants to come here anymore. #WINNING
Bad news flash: US been laughing stock overseas for years and years. At least my lifetime. Try getting off your chair and traveling. Oh, too late. You would blame it on Trump now. Laughing stock back in 1st Bush's time. Probably Nixon too but I'm not old enough.
Censored.
"
Jennik wrote:

It's not just illegal immigrants. Trump and his cult have turned America into a laughingstock. Nobody wants to come here anymore. #WINNING

Since when have Americans collectively given a damn about what the rest of the world thinks? Across a variety of political standings. I say the opportunity should be given to the European critics to step in and fill the role of 'world's police' and 'referee' for awhile. We've been doing the job for around 100 years, it's time for someone else to step up. I don't believe Trump naturally supports these positions, and is being 'advised' into playing the same geopolitical game they've been playing for decades.

I think we should sell 2-3 aircraft carriers to the EU and let them patrol the Asia-Pacific. Along with picking up our cut of NATO against this imaginary Russian military threat; that's every bit as imaginary as Russia collusion with the Trump campaign.

In case anyone hasn't noticed, there is internal disputes happening within Trump's cabinet, and it's looking like the neocon 'war hawks' have secured their position as a majority. Jared Kushner is very much of that clique, and that's part of the reason why it was successful. For this reason, it's unlikely Trump is going to deliver much on the geopolitical front that's any different than we've seen in past decades from previous administrations across political boundaries. Neocons and Neoliberals have very similar geopolitical goals. Some might even say - identical. And that's my biggest criticism of Trump. We didn't elect him to push neocon/liberal geopolitics. And that seems to be his primary focus. If he continues down that road, he'll be another 'dubya'. And that's my honest position about Trump.

But Trump on geopolitics is a completely different angle of critique than you neoliberals were criticizing him over. So "I told you so" doesn't apply here. Even though Trump is the best opportunity we've had in decades of 'crushing' the neocon-neoliberal geopolitical machine. If Trump couldn't do it, then it's unlikely anyone else will in the near future. I've always been more on board with Ron Paul's more isolationist approach. When all that would do is force others into picking up the tab for being world's police force while we get our fiscal house in order. No foreign military would ever dare attack the US mainland, even if we dropped our military budget by 70-80%. At worst we wouldn't be able to defend some of these satellite 'supposed allies'. Unless they pay us (more) to defend them, which was Trump's original position.

Give me the pen and the power, and I wouldn't hesitate the cut the US military's budget by 70%, along with sweeping cuts to other spending areas. I'd be a one man bureaucracy gutting machine. Lower taxes mean you better cut spending. The neoconservative way is to cut taxes & increase spending. Like what they're proposing doing right now. Lowering corporate tax to 20% would be good for the economy, but that should be accompanied by massive spending cuts. Every single dollar caught up in red tape within a bureaucracy somewhere is one less dollar that's in someone's pocket, or bank account that's being spent or invested into the broader economy.

Both the far left and the far right want something done about the Federal Reserve. I don't think you like it either that a cabal of private banks have most of the control over the Nation's currency. What little bit of oversight exists isn't good enough. It's laughable that little bit of oversight is considered 'accountability' in any way.

But with HRC, at worst we would have gotten identical foreign policy, with way worse domestic policy. So Trump vs HRC is purely about domestic policy, and I don't regret voting for Trump, all things considered.

Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Nov 9, 2017, 5:12:11 PM
"
DalaiLama wrote:
"
ChanBalam wrote:
"
Xavderion wrote:
That is not growing anybody's economy. When a restaurant gets suddenly popular and people eat there, they are doing so instead of spending money at a different restaurant or in some other way. The owner of the newly popular restaurant may get richer, but somebody else sees lost sales. There is no economic growth; it is just moving money around within the Japanese economy in a slightly different way.

When someone opens a tier 15 map, it just means there are now less tier 15 maps for everyone else to run.....

Growing the economy is akin to map rotations, where the whole becomes greater than its individual components.
Interesting. If we approach the Wraeclast economy as manifested in trading and in wealth of the players, this is how I would see it.

An economy would be quantified as the sum total of all transactions bound by league and time period. It would be expressed as a currency value. Each transaction would be translated into exalts or Chaos at some agreed upon average exchange rate. the sum total of all those transactions would be the value of the economy for the time period calculated.

So, the Harbinger League economy would be the total value of all transactions that have happened in the league. On day one of the league the economy had a value of zero. As players find gear and currency (introduced from outside the league from the servers) the potential for growth begins. As more and better gear and currency appear, more trades happen and the economy grows. Storing things in one's stash does not grow the economy. When Harbinger ends, it's economy will end. Using defined time periods, one can calculate the Harbinger economy for any time period one wants. A graph of it over time would be cool. Hint hint hint GGG.

For Standard it works the same way. I'm guessing that the weekly/monthly average for transactions there is pretty steady until a new temp league begins or ends. It probably drops as a new league begins and bumps up when all the new stuff from an ending league is dumped into it.

As players accumulate stuff, they get richer in their potential ability to impact the economy, but until they either buy or sell, they do not impact the league economy. I see vendoring as a pretty neutral event. I found these gloves and I'd rather have alchs. Using the chaos recipe would be counted as a transaction, because it offers something better than normal vendoring. but those are my biases.

Growth of a League economy is made possible by finding stuff, but it only happens when players use what they find (or know) to buy and sell.

"Gratitude is wine for the soul. Go on. Get drunk." Rumi
US Mountain Time Zone
Well, a real-world economy has economic specialization on both the supply end (different production skills) and on the demand end (different goods desired, different tastes). In PoE, specialization is only really on the demand end (certain builds are elevated because gearing via trade is easier than with the "hot" build or builds).

Because of this, the t15 map rotation example is a gross oversimplification. In PoE there's maybe two types of maps in that category (I haven't played in a long time) with relatively little specialization in one of the other; in a real economy there would be many more types and people who specialize in each, each of which drops different "gear," etc.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Nov 10, 2017, 12:14:23 AM
"
kolyaboo wrote:
Bad news flash: US been laughing stock overseas for years and years. At least my lifetime. Try getting off your chair and traveling. Oh, too late. You would blame it on Trump now. Laughing stock back in 1st Bush's time. Probably Nixon too but I'm not old enough.

Seems like Asia's major powers aren't laughing:

Japan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=53&v=wpJcMnv2qbk

Korea (who greeted President Trump with an AWESOME parade!):
https://youtu.be/DQlF1ybixaI?t=2s

China:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCXyBmSEtEM

China, who wouldn't even roll up an exit stairway for Obama's visit, compelling him to deplane by the rear ramp stairs, and who certainly didn't invite him to be the first US President to dine in the Forbidden City. =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
Last edited by Raycheetah on Nov 10, 2017, 1:41:15 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info