Desync and why it's fixable

"
ciknay wrote:
Still waiting on GGG response
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
ciknay wrote:
Still waiting on GGG response
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
desync is another mod of the game.

Sewer Map
Quantity: 85%

Mobs do fast things
Mobs hit hard
You get hit hard
Mobs hit more hard with ice.
Map has desync
There's fire on the ground.
"
Warmey wrote:

Sewer Map

Mobs do fast things
Mobs hit hard
You get hit hard
Map has desync
Seeing this post made me realize that these forums are now all troll, all the time.

Should I try to fit in, or stick to my ideals? I'm kind of on the fence right now.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Dec 1, 2013, 8:21:56 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Warmey wrote:

Sewer Map

Mobs do fast things
Mobs hit hard
You get hit hard
Map has desync
Seeing this post made me realize that these forums are now all troll, all the time.

Should I try to fit in, or stick to my ideals? I'm kind of on the fence right now.

Fuck it, when has any feedback post been listened to since CB.

Even the OB ones like moos's seem to be ignored. mana is still stupidly balanced. I just go around telling people they are wrong now
"
Real_Wolf wrote:
Life node reduction experiment and Eternal Orb were both examples of OB suggestions which GGG ran with. Not exactly the most stellar examples, so maybe that's why they're reluctant.

Of course, reducing life nodes without increased base life wasn't really sticking true to the suggestion, was it? So there's a decent chance that feedback will be given a GGG twist (perhaps for the better, perhaps for the worse) before implementation.
I'm not sure this will get heard...

but the one major thing that most of you are forgetting about (but some of you have touched on) is actually, yes, the hacking.

Ready for a prime example???

Diablo 3 PC version, is much like PoEs server/client relationship (most of the calculations are done on the server side, and then sent to client, etc etc) - not as many hacks (outside of maphacks/botting)...

VERSUS

Diablo 3 CONSOLE Version - where ALL of the work is done client side (in fact, they're not even connected to a server, they have offline mode) - and what happened in the first day of release?? Yes hacked items galore, everyone gets a hacked item - you get 4 socket weapon, and you get 4 socket weapon, and YOU get one too...

Look folks - when it comes to the PC, ANYTHING touched on the client side CAN and WILL be manipulated in order to gain a substantial advantage- why??? Because there's MONEY in it... and you know what I"m talking about...

This is why things like WarZ had such HUGE problems with hackers (DayZ too to some extent) - the WarZ calculations for bullet travel and damage were all done on the CLIENT side... why??? So that there was LESS LAG!! The company wasn't big enough to house a gigantic server infrastructure like, say, Blizzard - so they had the clients handle all of the work... and now, you get some hackers/scripters to code up some Injections, and wamo bamo, you have no travel time bullets, esp, super fast run, yadda yadda...

So do you want to have a bit of desync that you have to learn to deal with (and there are ways to LESSEN the amount of desync - say like - stop whirling blading into 30 mobs and always expecting to make it out safe and sound) or do you want a game completely ruined and unplayable because everyone has the best items on the server - everyone has 10 mirrors in their inventory, and the best gear in the game...

Pick your poison...
"
Prostasisx wrote:
Spoiler
I'm not sure this will get heard...

but the one major thing that most of you are forgetting about (but some of you have touched on) is actually, yes, the hacking.

Ready for a prime example???

Diablo 3 PC version, is much like PoEs server/client relationship (most of the calculations are done on the server side, and then sent to client, etc etc) - not as many hacks (outside of maphacks/botting)...

VERSUS

Diablo 3 CONSOLE Version - where ALL of the work is done client side (in fact, they're not even connected to a server, they have offline mode) - and what happened in the first day of release?? Yes hacked items galore, everyone gets a hacked item - you get 4 socket weapon, and you get 4 socket weapon, and YOU get one too...

Look folks - when it comes to the PC, ANYTHING touched on the client side CAN and WILL be manipulated in order to gain a substantial advantage- why??? Because there's MONEY in it... and you know what I"m talking about...

This is why things like WarZ had such HUGE problems with hackers (DayZ too to some extent) - the WarZ calculations for bullet travel and damage were all done on the CLIENT side... why??? So that there was LESS LAG!! The company wasn't big enough to house a gigantic server infrastructure like, say, Blizzard - so they had the clients handle all of the work... and now, you get some hackers/scripters to code up some Injections, and wamo bamo, you have no travel time bullets, esp, super fast run, yadda yadda...

So do you want to have a bit of desync that you have to learn to deal with (and there are ways to LESSEN the amount of desync - say like - stop whirling blading into 30 mobs and always expecting to make it out safe and sound) or do you want a game completely ruined and unplayable because everyone has the best items on the server - everyone has 10 mirrors in their inventory, and the best gear in the game...

Pick your poison...
I totally agree that anything client-side will be hacked eventually; if you're lucky, maybe not right away, if you're unlucky it'll be exploited Day 1, but inevitably it will happen.

However, what I'm talking about putting client-side is just monster AI, the decisions regarding movement and skill use... and with the exceptions of positioning and animation, all results of those skills — hit chance, crit chance, damage — would still be done server-side. That, and the server is doing the same calculations server-side, and trusts its own results, not the client's.

So which hacks are really possible here? You could make monsters appear further away, or appear not to attack... but they'd still be moving and attacking and damaging normally on the server, so that wouldn't get the hacker anywhere. You could predict monster actions a moderate degree of time into the future, which I guess is at least somewhat relevant... but is preventing that really a fair trade, something we're willing to sit through all that desync in order to prevent?

I just don't see any serious security risk here.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Dec 1, 2013, 9:43:39 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Real_Wolf wrote:
Life node reduction experiment and Eternal Orb were both examples of OB suggestions which GGG ran with. Not exactly the most stellar examples, so maybe that's why they're reluctant.

Of course, reducing life nodes without increased base life wasn't really sticking true to the suggestion, was it? So there's a decent chance that feedback will be given a GGG twist (perhaps for the better, perhaps for the worse) before implementation.

Yeah, I know there are some OB suggestions/feedback that have been heard. Even a tiny bit of release feedback I know has already been heard.

But overall, the forums themselves aren't where the information comes from, its things they themselves picked up on, and the feedback on the forum is ignored
"
Real_Wolf wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Real_Wolf wrote:

Yeah, I know there are some OB suggestions/feedback that have been heard. Even a tiny bit of release feedback I know has already been heard.

But overall, the forums themselves aren't where the information comes from, its things they themselves picked up on, and the feedback on the forum is ignored

Crazy talk, they've listened to and implemented countless suggestions from the forums.

Most of these things take a lot of time and consideration to implement though, so yes they tend to be conservative and have their own internal reasoning.

Edit:
What I'm trying to say, if it wasn't clear it's that feedback apathy is a terrible thing. Hard to always keep motivated, interested or care enough, but you should probably still try if you're at all interested in seeing the game improving.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info