Desync and why it's fixable

Off-topic
"
mvm199 wrote:
Cleave was never OP in races
You are obviously not a racer. Cleave was the main factor behind Duelists dominating Descent races in Season 3, to such an extent that 40% of entrants ran Duelist and Cleave's OP-ness became a running joke to regular Descent competitors (usernames such as CleaveTooSTRONK were common). It needed a nerf... just a targeted one, which nerfed it for early game but didn't have such a prominent effect on end-game play.
"
mvm199 wrote:
They nerfed WED because they buffed 2hander ele dmg and introduced dyadus.
No, it got nerfed because it was 1.5 support gems that only took up 1 socket. You've got your tinfoil hat on for that one.
"
mvm199 wrote:
2handers (phys dmg) werent really buffed, unless you craft nonstop and manage to roll the highest tier flaring mod. THat was the only change to 2h phys dmg. Do you even know this?
I have a character who uses 2-handed weapons, you're just wrong. The base values on the weapons themselves were increased. I'll agree that it wasn't a huge buff though, just a moderately-sized one. And that's bad because...?
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Nov 30, 2013, 5:41:38 AM
[Removed by Admin]
Last edited by Brian_GGG on Nov 30, 2013, 6:00:50 AM
Believe it or not, race balance matters.

But enough of that off-topic shit. Let's talk about desync.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Believe it or not, race balance matters.

But enough of that off-topic shit. Let's talk about desync.

[Removed by Admin]
Last edited by Brian_GGG on Nov 30, 2013, 6:01:10 AM
Sigh.
"
mvm199 wrote:
Few ppl race, that makes it even less of a reason to not totally destroy a skill at endgame for some race balance
Perhaps you misread me, but I agree with that. I said from the start that the Cleave nerf was overboard in terms how it effected endgame characters. It wasn't underpowered, however (Cleave was a popular endgame build), so what it needed was a targeted nerf which effected early game... and only early game.
"
mvm199 wrote:
(inb4 you try convince me that more than ~30 ppl play in a race)
Be sure to click page 253 of the results.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Nov 30, 2013, 6:02:23 AM
Wow. Mod's not fucking around.

Also bump.
Bump, I guess.
[Removed by Admin]
Last edited by Bex_GGG on Dec 1, 2013, 9:59:59 PM
"
runnin17 wrote:
GGG doesn't care.
Obviously they care.

The question, I suppose, is how much? And in the end, it's not about what you feel... it's about what you do.
I'd say the core of desync isn't an necessarily a client<->server architectural issue. There will always be an authoritative game state in multiplayer games, but desync isn't this bad in every game.

Even 200+ MS of ping does not account for the 3 seconds of desync that happens. It also seems to happen more during peak hours. It appears more like a physics/data processing issue and less of a latency related thing.

There just may be a bottleneck somewhere in their server's engine. It's very hard to multi-thread physics related events in game engines, since they're mainly atomic operations. But you can always get more processing power.

The problem I see is that the server is choking on frames.

I do realize there is no complete solution for desync. But I do believe the amount and extent to which we desync is fixable.

Does anyone know what hardware they are running?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info