Dec 24: One-week HC Race

"
ragnarokgr wrote:

I don't applaud Hilbert for insulting the so called no-lifers. He just shared my view that "being forced" to play is really bad. I myself play many hours and i see no harm in playing many hours as long as it doesn't feel forced. Now you can say you don't have to play the contest to begin with or you don't have to play so many hours but in this world there are many kinds of people including the "extreme".

Hopefully nothing will happen but if anything happens it will be bad publicity for ggg and the media will blame them like the media does now with games in general after the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting and we all know they love to blame games for everything.

Anyway i hope it all goes well in the years to come and we can all enjoy PoE with no casualties :)

First off, I want to say that occasionally Hilbert says something intelligent sounding. However, his detractors are also accurate in their assessment about his many shades of grey. He may be the *only* poster here that makes me think I wish there was a rate up or down option so that he could see what people really think of this theatrics.

Secondly, please do not ever again suggest that this game could lead to anything like the tragedy at Sandy Hook. You have put yourself below the lowest by even suggesting. You must know that the media has no power over you or anyone else that you do not give it in the first place.
"
Laellu wrote:
"
ragnarokgr wrote:

I don't applaud Hilbert for insulting the so called no-lifers. He just shared my view that "being forced" to play is really bad. I myself play many hours and i see no harm in playing many hours as long as it doesn't feel forced. Now you can say you don't have to play the contest to begin with or you don't have to play so many hours but in this world there are many kinds of people including the "extreme".

Hopefully nothing will happen but if anything happens it will be bad publicity for ggg and the media will blame them like the media does now with games in general after the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting and we all know they love to blame games for everything.

Anyway i hope it all goes well in the years to come and we can all enjoy PoE with no casualties :)

First off, I want to say that occasionally Hilbert says something intelligent sounding. However, his detractors are also accurate in their assessment about his many shades of grey. He may be the *only* poster here that makes me think I wish there was a rate up or down option so that he could see what people really think of this theatrics.

Secondly, please do not ever again suggest that this game could lead to anything like the tragedy at Sandy Hook. You have put yourself below the lowest by even suggesting. You must know that the media has no power over you or anyone else that you do not give it in the first place.

Seriously why do people have hard time understanding what i write? Is it because english isn't my native language?
Where in my post do i suggest that the game could lead to a massacre? I only said that media loves to blame games for everything. Secondly if you think the media has no power over the masses ( i said masses not over me) take a look at TotalBiscuit's video about the events at Sandy Hook http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uwAo8lcAC4.

This has nothing to do with this game but like i said media loves to blame games for violence or other reasons for many years now.

I'm not supporting anyone or anything but my own views here. I don't want to suggest the game is harmful.

Besides the setup of a competition where the premise ends up being 168 hours of straight activity, just ask and look at what the players do.

GGG should have some fairly interesting statistics. Apart from exertion, you'll find it gets pretty cheaty and some things that are allowed simply shouldn't be allowed.

Are you awesome extreme? No you're not. But you can be!

It will only get harder and harder to compete on any sort of reasonable, fair level. The very idea of this format is flawed, sure it is better than not existing, I don't think anyone should be suggesting that it shouldn't exist. Having said that, it could possibly be better or have alternatives.

Even if you don't care, or it doesn't affect you directly, it could be harmful and it certainly isn't ideal as a format. People do get affected, do stupid, deceptive and generally shitty things when they get involved.

If you think this format is ideal or reasonably fair in the long term, you're probably insane.
[.]
Last edited by unknowss on May 21, 2013, 9:58:24 PM
Imo, theres no problem in a 1 week race...
as long as we still have short hours races going on.

So we could have something to please extreme players (regular ladder), people that have time and wants to play in theyre holydays (1 week race), and people that are just casuals like lots of people that wants to hang with theyre family/gf/friends and dont have many hours to spend in a fun game (short 1-2-3h races).

If you think daily would be too much for demi god economy, then 1 short race every 2 days, or even one of those cool ideas hanging in suggestion forum.

Also, 1h cut-throat proved to be a fun idea to 1h short races - but please make it with some prizes for most exp gained with pvp for exemple (you cant get experience from same person more then once to avoid farming a friend)
"
ragnarokgr wrote:

Well if you read carefully i didn't mention that people will surely die in this kind of league but the league promotes either non-stop gameplay from one person or account sharing which frankly i don't care about the second.

If something doesn't happen once doesn't mean it can't happen. There have been many recorded deaths from people who overplayed a game and those games weren't even "competitive" in the sense that they didn't have any prize from playing too much other than bragging rights for finishing first or something like that.

So all i am saying is that it's a matter of time before some "crazy" dude appears who really want's that prized loot from a league few days/months/years from now and while you can't prevent people from playing a game for many hours (unless you play some korean/japanese MMO where they force you to play few hours a day) you can atleast avoid promoting that kind of play in the first place.

I agree. A death from a weeklong race is statistically likely to happen if PoE gets popular - this is just like people dying from vodka drinking contests in Russia. There's nothing wrong with drinking in moderation, but you can die if you do it in excess.

There *is* a world of difference between merely not doing anything about a behavior, and actively encouraging it. There's a difference between knowingly and unknowingly selling a gun to someone who is suicidal. Unfortunately, it looks like the sentiment of the community shows that nothing will be done until someone does die.
The people who complain that there are no timed played caps are the ones who generally play a crapload anyways. I remember the Fayded/Panda tied race where someone kept complaining about Fayded having "no life", but ended up with only a few hours less than him over the entire event. Silly people. :)

Trying to convince the wife to rock this with me, but doubt I'll play as much as I did in that race. Was exhausted after 6 days that I just monitored the 19-25 to make sure I stayed top 20. I probably could've made top 10 but wasn't going to grind for 14 hours. :P
I actually think it would be cool to have a week long race with max 6h (for example) daily playtime (maybe transferable to next day with some maximum). Not because I dislike this kind of race or because I probably won't win in this one. Simply playing in such mode would be different.

While I do play a lot (I was near top 10 in a week race long ago), I don't always do so. I didn't take part in a few week races simply because I thought it would only make me play more.

I am not going to complain that people with more time have more chances. It's pretty much the same with every possible POE race - people who train short races have more chance, people who power-level most in long run have most chance in default ladder (I bet there will be prizes too). Some people may have not much time this race because of Christmas, others may have time exactly for this reason, but some people may be at work during 3h race and it's the same - no chance to win.

I would simply like to see a different mode and try my chances in it, preferably before OB.
First time doing this, will try to survive. Guess the best thing to do is to play within a party, rite? :)
To be the best you first got to beat the best.
Wow...didn't this thread get weird! :p

"
Morsexier wrote:

Also easy to level when you start maps at level 57.

But yes, levels somewhere in (72-74)+ are all about time invested.

Agree but I think a bigger factor is the number of friends you can leech from once you get past 76.

Progression pretty much stops for solo players after lvl77.
OB: BazzVone - 83 Dual Spork Totem Templar /w CI and minions
CB: BazzVfourteen - 80 Dual Spork Totem Templar /w CI
CB: BazzVtwo - 73 Dual Spork Totem/LS Templar
CB: BazzVseven - 76 Lightning Strike Mara
CB: BazzVfive - 78 Lightning Strike Mara

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info