Dec 24: One-week HC Race

"
Flab wrote:
It isn't just about staying up for X amount of hours, anxiety and stress is likely significantly raised in these conditions, also races are incentivized. If it was just about "fun" as some of you people claim, why bother racing at all?

Why don't these people who boosted in previous races relinquish their winnings? Because it's about winning a competition and getting prizes.

Also, ethics don't stop at money. GGG probably shouldn't be promoting and supporting behaviour that can be unhealthy or even fatal, apart from being very inconvenient and arguably unfair to many people.

So dont participate, again ggg should not have to parent people. You should know your bed time and sleep accordingly. Even the hardcore streamers catch up on their sleep and try to restrain themselves, and they get paid to game. People are whining because they cannot participate as much as they would like.

I cannot spend that much time doing it either, but i have a completely different mindset. I like the hardcore/competitive atmosphere even if i cannot even touch the top ten. Oh and you are like completely forgetting they have 1 2 3 hour races what have you, there are different races for different groups..

Just my 2 cents, different races for different groups. Life is not fair, let it go.
I edited my previous post just before you posted yours to mention that I have no idea how you deal with it.

The reality though, is that the addiction, the competitive nature and crack effect can be unhealthy and that the races end up being about how much time you can utilize.

The challenge is set, you have 168 hours straight to optimize your XP gains.

Isn't that a pretty insane premise? How is that reasonable? How do you see it ending up as anything but dodgy behaviour when it's optimized?

I've already only really tried to compete in 2 1 week races, because honestly, they're a joke as competitive events. I have/had no interest in the early game and grinding runs, so that leaves out the shorter races too.

(Edit: The dyslexia hit hard)
I don't see how staying up days at a time would be a good way to win a week long HC event. Sleep deprivation leads to loss of cognitive function, so staying up days at a time seems to be a great way to get your character killed before it kills you. Also when you are awake for long periods of time you are gonna fall asleep for brief periods of time at your desk, I mean that is what causes the fatal car accidents, so fall asleep at crucial time and you are dead. Playing for days straight seems like the worst way to win a week long event.
"
Brendonias wrote:

You realize the people that die staying up for 3 days have had tons of pre existing medical conditions. You can easily stay up for a week without dying, however you may start to see little green men, or something similar when you start to lose it from sleep deprivation. Omg 24hrs ohhh noo. Just stop please or don't participate. It is not ggg's place to play the parent. Your ideas sound horrible k thanks.

You really have no idea do you? The only way that ggg wont be held responsible for any deaths in the contests is if they have an agreement that specifically says they are not responsible and you have to read it before you agree to participate in any contest.

"
Amoracchius wrote:
I don't see how staying up days at a time would be a good way to win a week long HC event. Sleep deprivation leads to loss of cognitive function, so staying up days at a time seems to be a great way to get your character killed before it kills you. Also when you are awake for long periods of time you are gonna fall asleep for brief periods of time at your desk, I mean that is what causes the fatal car accidents, so fall asleep at crucial time and you are dead. Playing for days straight seems like the worst way to win a week long event.

That's propably true but people still stay awake to play thinking it will help them. Plus it's way worse when it's HC which eventually you will die (your character) when you are sleep deprived.

"
Brendonias wrote:
"
Flab wrote:
It isn't just about staying up for X amount of hours, anxiety and stress is likely significantly raised in these conditions, also races are incentivized. If it was just about "fun" as some of you people claim, why bother racing at all?

Why don't these people who boosted in previous races relinquish their winnings? Because it's about winning a competition and getting prizes.

Also, ethics don't stop at money. GGG probably shouldn't be promoting and supporting behaviour that can be unhealthy or even fatal, apart from being very inconvenient and arguably unfair to many people.

So dont participate, again ggg should not have to parent people. You should know your bed time and sleep accordingly. Even the hardcore streamers catch up on their sleep and try to restrain themselves, and they get paid to game. People are whining because they cannot participate as much as they would like.

I cannot spend that much time doing it either, but i have a completely different mindset. I like the hardcore/competitive atmosphere even if i cannot even touch the top ten. Oh and you are like completely forgetting they have 1 2 3 hour races what have you, there are different races for different groups..

Just my 2 cents, different races for different groups. Life is not fair, let it go.

Again you have no clue. Nobody here is "whining" because they can't play this kind of league but that this kind of league is like Ammoracchius said that it's promoting unhealthy/fatal play or unfair too.

I don't even care about this league at this time cause it's still closed beta so i am not going to lose 1 week playing something that i am going to lose in a few days and obviously i can't get ranked in top 20 to gain the prizes that will remain after the wipe.

When open beta comes i'll propably be playing every HC league trying to gain atleast the prizes for reaching certain lvls etc.
Unfortunately it appears that getting into the Beta did not grant some of you the boon of having a brain.
"When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline. And this name is so bright and so sharp that the sign - it just blows up because the name is so powerful... It says, "Diamond Supporter."
You gotta love the discussions in this thread.

If I recall correctly I came second to our dear old Panda "NotThat" in the one week HC when 0.9.12 came out. the one that continued on for the month race.

My experience was that the race was all about stamina. I started several hours after the start and then ran a few other characters to act 2 for their skill gems. After that it was all about grinding, hour after hour after hour. My graph never once looked anything like the early "top dogs" but I just played "safe" not taking unnecessary risks and kept at it. I hardly slept in 7 days which was cruel but then again I often hardly sleep much. So Yes! this race IS very much about how long you can maintain your concentration. There are those that won't like the format but guess what, there is never a shortage of participants.

As far as Account sharing goes. No way am I gonna let someone else kill my HC char! That is my job.

I'm just well pleased that the "boosting" problem has been addressed. so yea I am looking forward to this race. Especially after my long absence. It being held over Christmas may prove to be tricky (it is a "family" time after all) but hey I'll still be able to devote some time to it.
I'm BACK :)
Coldet, you never had the honor to see Boom take top 10 and die, 3 or 4 times in the same one week race? Its not as much stamina as it is skill and game knowledge with luck. Grouping with others who know what to do makes it go exponentially faster, you don't need a whole week to cap out, though I'm not sure they still have a cap in these.

Stop trolling with this junk about "someones going to die" from a one week online game competition. One week is not enough to die from anything but maybe dehydration. Unless you have pre existing conditions, but of course. This whole threads been destroyed, I just hate knowing that open beta will bring even more trolls here :(

I give up, I'm not sure Ill play much in this event, but if so thankfully it will have a forum to itself once it starts, so this thread isn't really needed. For those that are, good luck and have fun!
In fairness the week that boom died like that was at levels 55 57 63, roughly. If you know exactly what youre doing you can reach those levels extremely fast, and then add the component of going faster than you should in hardcore, and you have boom.

Also easy to level when you start maps at level 57.

But yes, levels somewhere in (72-74)+ are all about time invested.
"When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline. And this name is so bright and so sharp that the sign - it just blows up because the name is so powerful... It says, "Diamond Supporter."
"

Simply put there is always somebody else online, so you have got a party and the risk is lower.
Also if you end up in close calls, you will be concentrated for a short time due adrenaline.
Also you have to consider most player run easy map mods and have a common build with AoE damage.
In normal mode there is only 1 boss which can kill your character on full concentration and that's Vaal in the Maze map.

But yes it already happened in 1 week races that people fell asleep on burning ground and died or died the last day because they went to their body limits.

There aren't leagues which start in mid or endgame yet.

Imagine you would have 1 week races every week and long time racers will participate in each of them. It will certainly affect their health if they play 30h+ many times.

Or better said they will get preexisting conditions.

"
ragnarokgr wrote:
You really have no idea do you? The only way that ggg wont be held responsible for any ruined socks in the contests is if they have an agreement that specifically says they are not responsible and you have to read it before you agree to participate in any contest.

Agree completely.

Its only a matter of time until someone poopsocks it up (literally) to win a long term event, dies (ingame, not irl) from stench-blurred vision in the last 24 hours, rage-sues ggg for not warning them of the dangers (physical, mental and monetary) of repeatedly crapping into footwear for 2+ weeks straight and subsequently wins a judgement of one professional anus cleaning and a year supply of cashmere shit tickets (they exist).

Let us hope ggg has also foreseen this (highly likely) possibility, and has the appropriate safeguards (and legal defense) ready before open beta.
IGN: KoTao

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info