Dec 24: One-week HC Race

"
Metronomy wrote:
Are you even reading what you quote? He isnt saying anything that could be associated with IP's since he disagrees with limiting playtime (and rightly so). Perhaps you took an extract of his post, but you took away the name so we dont know who posted it, can you please stop doing this? (without the name I cant look at the full post)

I agree that there should be more race types, but adding cut-throat mechanics to non cut-throat leagues isnt a good idea at all.

Sorry I quoted the wrong guy while copy pasting I caught more posts and removed the wrong one. Edit it to the correct post now.

It's not a league it's just a race type(leveling as goal with cut-throat because normal ct only ends up players killing each other from terraces till ledge) that would prevent exping in certain spots, aka prevent the same names getting demigods because only 3h solo/party has been perfected already. There is no need to test it before open beta anymore it's just a giveaway to the same racers again.
3h solo turbo is the only mode left where the common names die.
Beside some uncommon Firewitch builds for short races I pretty much know every common build(yet I must say I hope for some luck and I don't take resolute technique as templar)
If I talk for myself I don't know certain maps really well.
For example on last races I got stuck in the new passage layout many times, the same thing happened when the prison layout changed.
That's one main reason losing time besides using a non RT Templar build.
Another deciding factor are level 10 or 12 items for merveil.
My best time to reach act 2 in normal mode were 36 minutes and my worst time being 1h 6 minutes because simply because I didn't find a base type and nothing to buy one dropped(one reason frozen pulse builds are less itemdependant)
Cut Throat mechanics would really prevent farming the common farmspots and add a difficulty in boss fights. Imagine it's 3h Turbo you are in Top 10 fighting brutus some level 6-7 joined your instance puts a bear trap under your feet and brutus does that rest.
Being in Top 10 or Top 5 of class in ct races would become a target to drop out of the race.
For example what shadow is more suited to kill players or escape them? FP vs 40+ cold res or whirling blades + viper strike?
That way winning builds will look different.

Or party race with cut throat. First group farms cruel ledge and the 2nd party attempts to kill them 10 minutes later and on 6 vs 6 there certainly will be deaths on both sides any possibly the third party might get lucky.

"
This whole 'limiting' thing is silly (which is what that other guy is saying), more race event types would be helpful since people could just play the races that suit them.

Limited races would be easier for the devs than creating a race type that starts mid or end game because it's hard to decide how many Transmutes, Alterations etc are needed so players can create builds that aren't casters or summoners.
It's simply because short timed race builds get stuck at some point, while long timed builds will get higher kill speed.
I saw players during events who did poorly till level 30 or 40 but from 30->40 or 40->50 they barely needed time and they were solo all the time, so a time limited race would be better for them than being forced to play for example 8h straight.
The 4h race already had less participants.
5 or 6h might be possible but either players won't play 5-6h or less players will participate, so why not give those players a time interval and they have a countdown and the league for that account ends after the timer expires.

The main question is what can be realized earlier. A time limited mode so longer races are possible without forcing players to play 5+ hours or start at another point of the game.
Especially on higher levels other aspects of builds become more important not to mention some builds such as melee shadow/summoner start to become playable.

"
Beloresin wrote:
I want to win the 100 meters olympic game but some jamaican guys can train for 16 hours /day... I can't do that. It's not fair.

We have to put some limits to theirs daily training duration.

old casuals vs hardcore prob....

This is a terrible analogy. 16 hours a day of physical training will do WAY more harm than good. Hell even half that amount of time would still be more detrimental than good to even the top athletes in the world. Not to mention the 100 meters isn't even endurance race...
Just replace 100 meters by Ironman challenge, Jamaicans by Team Hoyt, and the crying one by anybody who can't even run 10 miles straight.

Should be fine.
Just to set the record straight, the 10 hours extra played that Kripp claims I have is not as it seems. The reason I always am 8-10 hours ahead of him in played is because he finishes for the night at about 11am, where I finish at around 3am. So when I wake up and play, I play for 8 hours that he has not because he's going to be up much later in the night catching right back up to the same hours played.

Another huge part of why I have extra hours played is because of how fast they leveled from 1-53~ because of their group strategy. I leveled up to fellshrine merciless with one friend, and we trudged along through it. I even wound up doing the end of ruthless and merciless by myself, which definitely slowed me down and put me behind.

Also, I have slept 6-8 hours every night of the race, and have not been up for more than 15-16 hours at a time.

Lastly, contrary to all the trolls, I am not multiple people, and I did not play 48 hours straight, I'm not a Korean pro player, a botter, etc.

I don't care if you believe how I died or not, but I died to desync and rubber banded back into a room from two rooms away in the Crematorium map. Don't always believe everything you hear on the internet.
If they want to judge you about " too much played by day " then the monster nolife is ZoldyckSucks. Because he died once with a level 64 char and was first and he is now back at the 4th position.
Don't hate on mattster365 ffs...
People must have really shitty lives if it's their only concern to hate on 1 person...
As of right now the EU gateway is screwed up again (failed to join instance). I can't log back on, and I really can't afford the lag on US servers at this stage in the race. Gonna grab some sleep. Hope the servers are doing better 6-7 hours from now.
"
PureLuck35 wrote:
"
Beloresin wrote:
I want to win the 100 meters olympic game but some jamaican guys can train for 16 hours /day... I can't do that. It's not fair.

We have to put some limits to theirs daily training duration.

old casuals vs hardcore prob....

This is a terrible analogy. 16 hours a day of physical training will do WAY more harm than good. Hell even half that amount of time would still be more detrimental than good to even the top athletes in the world. Not to mention the 100 meters isn't even endurance race...

And here you come thinking that your opinion on what's good or bad somehow invalidates the analogy presented. Whether training 16 hours a day is detrimental or not isn't the correct connection with the logic you are being bombarded with.

Try working around the idea that if 16 hours a day training would be beneficial to physical performance, top athletes would simply train this hard, without question they would. Does anyone object now that some only have time to train 2 hours a day while others have 6+ in the same fashion as is being proposed here? I don't see that happening, the world would join in a massive facepalm if such a proposition would come alight.

Nevertheless, sport has it's limitations - performance drug abuse and the like. In the gaming world, you could transfer that to the various forms of cheating, likely botting in our case here. But having enough time to play being the issue? Endurance-based sports ring a bell? That is well mental. Not only would that create more problems that it would try to "solve", but it would also bring the apocalypse of good game design - "The Day Developers Stood Stupid".

At the end of the day, everyone is entitled to opinions. Some are shouts in the darkness without substance or thought and fortunately that's why their authors don't work in the industry for long, if they ever do.

Listening to the community is a good thing, but it must not be done blindly. It's almost like a teacher at school - some kids will have fine bright ideas that you could perhaps shape to existence, the rest not so much.

Finally, let me say that I detect these propositions being slightly personal. "I can't play this hard yet I would like to compete and have a chance to win too" sort of feeling. Dropping this feeling of entitlement is the wise thing to do here. "I can't frag rapha we should both play with our testicles instead".

The question at hand is - would you be as far as someone in the top 20 if you had their playtime?
It's very likely you wouldn't as there's more than just raw time at play here, isn't it.
Code. Frag. | gplus.to/mystrdat | twitch.tv/mystrdat
Last edited by mystrdat on Dec 29, 2012, 10:33:04 PM
I only wonder how many of the high ranked builds were Spork builds.
Even with optimal time management and a starting time some other time I highly doubt that I would have been in the Top 10 if I had participated. Level 76 or 77 max with the remaining time.
I guess if I miss Top 20 in normal 1 week events during Open Beta I will most likely only participate in 1 week turbo races because my strength is survival since I barely make mistakes on long term races because I only rush maps the last day.

And now the predicted unhealthy 23h playing full time playing will start. Not to mention some Top 10 players are already online for hours.

"
Just replace 100 meters by Ironman challenge, Jamaicans by Team Hoyt, and the crying one by anybody who can't even run 10 miles straight.

Should be fine.

I want to see any body RUN 10 miles. The top speed on long distance races is around 18-20km/h that's twice high walk speed.
Not to mention those top athletes pretty much got a ruined body when they grow older.
Same thing happens to high endurance gamers. Thrombosis, damaged back etc.

And iron man isn't a good example too even with exactly the same training swimming speed differs on different body proportions and the swimming suit.
Leg to torso ratio also make a difference on optimal power when riding a bicycle not to mention that the bicycle itself matters.
But you can compare bicycle, shoes and suit to the PC and Internet connection.

But you can't compare body proportions with anything.

Also it has nothing to do with training. There are people who have to work during Christmas and new years eve.
There are people who have only around max 2-3h free time a day. That's max 21h on a 1 week race, something high ranked racers got within 1 day.
A normal person is awake 15h a day, working takes around 8h a day, now several people have to prepare for work or university and doing it right also costs time.
The way to work and home takes time. If you sum everything up there isn't much time left.

How can such a person play 16h straight without affecting their daily life?
The only chance they got is to team up with other players in a similar situation and instead of getting 3-5 level 60-70 characters they got 1 character that can compete in Top 20.

"
Don't hate on mattster365 ffs...
People must have really shitty lives if it's their only concern to hate on 1 person..

Those are some of Krippers audience that behave like a sports fan and create enemies.

On other races there were only comments in chat about a rip and even it was laughing it was forgotten minutes later but some viewers like to push it even it already happened 48h ago.

But that's the same minority of his viewers that spam global chat and get ignored quiet fast.

Hilbert, Team Hoyt, and then delete your retarded answer, some people can't even run 400 meters, can't even run( asthm ) and still play video games...

Ignorant.

" 18-20km/h that's twice high walk speed "

WR of high speed walk: 50 KM - 3:34:14 /check your math...

BTW... stop the analogy because some morons can't even make the difference between orange and apple. Sounds like some childish wow forums with no logic and free flaming.
Last edited by Beloresin on Dec 29, 2012, 11:17:08 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info