Dec 24: One-week HC Race

There shouldn't be any time limits in these races. You say that 5h would be fair to everyone, well it wouldn't for example be fair to me. I'm a gamer, but I also work 8h a day and can afford to play maybe 2-3h a day.

I demand a limit to be 2h per day of play time. See how absurd this is? Races aren't for everyone, and it's completely ok. I will play HC normal and participate in races that run for couple of hours, but won't compete in ones like this.
„I don't give a fuck if it was his tenth anniversary with his goddamn neckbeard...“
„If they think I'm going to let them sweep this pizza guy thing under the rug...“
No mod action. Business as usual.
Good thing that's only a problem with races, and not general leveling, since it evens out the more you play.
I do agree that rng is too meaningfull right now, but races are always going to be a bit luck dependent, even a 3h race can be won by simply getting a great MS drop. Just gotta do your best to keep the damage done by unfavorable rng to a minimum and the impact of good rng to a max with your builds.
jeez, this isnt an rts guys. it's an action rpg, it's always luck dependent who gets #1, in d2 in anything. getting into top 10 to 20 is achievable with time commitment and not so much rng
Someone today on Nugiyen's stream chat pointed out, that a limited time per day wouldn't realy limit people who play 15+ hours a day - they'd just make another account and level another character for farming maps and gear with. You could always say "oh, then limit it on an IP base too". The realy dedicated players would just use a proxy. "Oh, then blacklist every open/known proxies" - they could get a dynamic IP address or heck, even pay another line (mobile internet).
"
mirelitbab wrote:
Someone today on Nugiyen's stream chat pointed out, that a limited time per day wouldn't realy limit people who play 15+ hours a day - they'd just make another account and level another character for farming maps and gear with. You could always say "oh, then limit it on an IP base too". The realy dedicated players would just use a proxy. "Oh, then blacklist every open/known proxies" - they could get a dynamic IP address or heck, even pay another line (mobile internet).

There are long races, there are short races, everyone can participate in what he wants. If someone has problem playing 10+hours a day, he can play the short ones. Limiting is pointless, obviously those long races are made for people which have a lot free time and for fun (even with only few hours/day you can achieve the currency item prizes.
I don't think that having races that limit daily play to a few hours would be a bad idea. It would just be another type of race. A one week race where you either have set playtimes (7-11 p.m for a week for example like they do for the current 3 hour races), or since that would introduce time zone problems, maybe an open 4 hours per day at any time, ending at a set time on the last day regardless of whether you used your 4 hours that day.

I think it might actually make the race a little more exciting in that towards the end you would have a much tighter top 20 competing in the last hours. It would be more of a horserace, so to speak.

Probably would only work with solo races though.

Worth a test I think at least to see. These races have alot of great potential variations.
The more race types the better. They should try to cover as many people as they can. Most people can't play 8 hours a day. The short races are a good idea but like a 2 week or month long race where you can only play 2-3 hours a day would be interesting too.
"
mirelitbab wrote:

Your logic is flawed because it is very easy to counter this behaviour if you want to.
No parties, no trading, time limit.
Problem solved.

Those 15h+ nerds still can participate multiple times in the same league but why should they? There will be multiple leagues.
Something for everyone.
There also will be the option to create your own league.
"
RangerSpeedy wrote:

"
Completely agree with this. Aside from the issue of end game content being left up to so much randomness to begin with, in a race/competition, its ridiculous that two people can play exactly the same, but if one of them gets lucky with drops, they automatically win.

I didn't think this was a competition of PoE at all, it was merely "who got the most time on their hands"
competition.

Any kind of race or tournament can be said to not be a competition at PoE. Short races - luck in drops, luck in desync, having a good PC. PvP - grinding for gear or countering enemies in rock-paper scissors kind of game.

This race is a competition at PoE. This is part of this game - leveling and farming for hours. Having right builds, playing accordingly to risk is important too. Also having organized party makes a lot of things faster. Vast majority of players won't reach such high levels with comparable time played on a character regardless of RNG and whether it is in the span of 1 week or months.

I'd like to try different kind of races, but it's not a reason to bitch on this race or its participants. Everyone knew a week long race is about playing a lot. You guys don't lose anything by not winning or even not playing in the race.

"
Odoakar wrote:
There shouldn't be any time limits in these races. You say that 5h would be fair to everyone, well it wouldn't for example be fair to me. I'm a gamer, but I also work 8h a day and can afford to play maybe 2-3h a day.

I demand a limit to be 2h per day of play time. See how absurd this is? Races aren't for everyone, and it's completely ok. I will play HC normal and participate in races that run for couple of hours, but won't compete in ones like this.
There are different races to cater to different players. Some only play in short races, some only play in long ones.

Yes, races are not for everyone. This one is not, others are not too. This is why people (including me) would like to see more different types of races. Maybe it still won't be for everyone, but why not give opportunities for as many players as possible? I could see one race being with 2h limit and another one with 5h limit. Maybe even they could go at the same time, so that people who like playing all day will be able to play in both.

"
mirelitbab wrote:
Someone today on Nugiyen's stream chat pointed out, that a limited time per day wouldn't realy limit people who play 15+ hours a day - they'd just make another account and level another character for farming maps and gear with.
This still gives more chances to players with less time than as currently having 1 player play for 5h hours on character and another play 18. Also, there could be a solo race without trading (trading should and probably will be removed in solo races anyway). This would actually be quite cool. Current 3h races are getting a bit boring since you always do the same areas from start with same build. Longer races would be very tiring and a lot of people would not be able to commit. With one or two weeks long races allowing for 2 or 3 hours of play we could have a much longer solo race that most people would be able to take part in. Especially if exact rules would not be known too long before the race - it would be harder to play test runs and plan builds. You'd have to make different builds and save orbs longer than in 3h races, but not in same way as in 1 week race that focuses mostly on farming end-game maps.
Last edited by globbi on Dec 29, 2012, 5:17:32 PM
At least Lightspeed should be rewarded by a little something, if desync is really the problem.

A race shouldn't be rules around " shitbugs happend ".

If they can't fix that, don't except one million builds possibilities, which is the "devs wish"... it will be like D3 " all resist game " to prevent non-solved bugs issues.

Then the full customisation promise become a lie.
Last edited by Beloresin on Dec 29, 2012, 5:18:01 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info