0.9.11 One-week Hardcore Ladder Race

rip lvl 56 I guess 700 ping was too high
RIP 62 Ranger :-(

Pwned by Vaal!

GLHF Others!
Wow - people dropping like flies - sad to see yo go. I hope you guys will restart tho - there is still plenty of time left.
I'm BACK :)
Couple days behind but I'm on my way now. Playin a Templar as a ranger. See how far that gets me:) Just gotta stay alive!
"
Psyk wrote:
Very Interesting thread replies so far. Love the "Fayded, lvl 53 maurader was killed in the mudflats". I LoL'd. Anyway to all the people screaming No life and hating on me I'd like to send a shout out to you guys as you are my biggest motivation to keep going =D But I think 62 Levels will be the bar I set for a all at once sit in.

I'd like to say that I never planned to do the race like this but once I got the lead and kept it for the length I have I figured I'd push it to the limit. I appreciate all the supporters and people who showed love to my movement. Hope someone catches up so we can start the real race.

GN everyone and Good Luck

Nice going dude! I would never get this far as my PC always plays up at Act 2 River Crossing area:/
"
jwytiaz wrote:
Pathetic is deciding that time is the more interesting commitment. The above posters would like to see a race where rate is the more important factor.

Gone are the days where a single game is going to hold all of a game-players attention. Game companies that cater to this mindset might miss out on appealing to a larger set of people that want to play in an environment where the competition does not require something as unrelated to game-playing skill as time spent on a single game.

Besides, you can always just choose to not participate in a ladder race with different rule sets. There's no real price to trying to cater to a wider set of players. And who knows, you might actually like having to come up with strategy where play time is no longer a variable.

I have to agree with this. I currently have all the time in the world if I want it. I could sit here and play the game for 24 hours straight. That's not appealing to me really.

It would be amazing to see a 1 week race where your account was limited to 2-3 hours a day. Or even a 3 hour race that was run on a weekend where it didn't matter when you played your 3 hours.

I find it much more compelling to plan your play session, and then execute a plan. This current format (which is fun, no doubt) is catering more to time spent then it is to play skill.

Don't get me wrong. The guys at the top of the ladder have to have skill. Im not saying they don't. It's just very difficult for someone who may be of the same caliber of skill to have a chance at placing in a top 10 if that person does not have the means to sit in front of his computer for 12-13 hours a day.

Hopefully something like this could get a trial. I'd love to see it.
I'm playing a melee shadow but I kinda regret that I chosen a tricky build for this event ^_^
Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.

Hardcore to the bone.
"
Hilbert wrote:
"
Septile wrote:
Fayded is fucking nuts. Race has been running for 15 hours 30 minutes as of this post, and he has been playing for 15 hours 30 minutes.

It's obvious a teamplayed character using a def and life maradeurbuild so skipped most cruel and ruthless parts.

You could see that he got terribly slow at merciless and we did like 3-4 ruthless areas(normal play) while he finished one.
We got the same speed since cruel, we also had to do the wicked spear in Ruthless twice because it didn't drop the first time.

My respect goes to the players that played normally without skipping most monsters or play classes that don't allow fastrushing.
I saw a shadow in the Top 25 but it seems he died.(Respect playing a class that easily gets killed by arrows)

If the devs create a timelimit how much you an account might be played in 24h and that your actually have to kill a certain amount of monsters then the event would be much fairer.

Or the devs could enable something like hunting mode making the closest players hostile to the leader joining his instance.

I like the use of the would OBVIOUS in his lack of a better judgement assumption that my account was played by two people. The only thing OBVIOUS in that statement is your lack of the actual truth...

That being that my account was played by, and only by, me for what at the time before logging out for the 1st time was 1 Day 4 hours and 28 Mins. Which is very extreme I must admit for a video game race, but was done on a whim of adrenalin.

The second most incorrect thing that you posted is that I skipped most monsters... which is how I got in the lead in the first place , by skipping MOST monsters.. that made a lot of logical sense. And that I wasn't playing the game normally... Explain normally to anyone who does leveling RACES plz. If you mean did I do EVERY side quest . Then you are right I skipped side quest. sorry I forgot the rules stated you have to do SIDE quest to be respected... My bad.

The only thing you did say that was anywhere near correct was that I slowed down in Merc. Yes guys he finally makes a valid point I got slow. Wouldn't have anything to do from me taking time to stop and help friends when they needed it with bosses , or the fact I had absolutely 0 reason to rush to my death. Nor the fact that I had never had a character past ruthless since I started playing the game 2 weeks ago. For all the people who are validation freaks I made the account in April yes when they did the Stress test weekend and played maybe 4 hours of the game then.

Anyway to retract from the ramble I find it sad that a community that constantly bitches and moans about IAMDisappoint/Dime/Kripparian and anyone else apart of the elite 6 winning every race has gone so far out of their way as to bad mouth a guy who did 1 extreme act of gaming(which no one in the history of gaming has ever done apparently) and is leading the pack at a VERY early stage of the race.

All I can say is the Race is far from over there are great gamers out there that still have a chance and I can only hope my first day antics win me a top 10 finish.

I again appreciate everyone who as made nice comments / supporting statements to me during my journey and hope that after this the bad mouther's will just let it die out and keep their assumptions to themselves.

Thanks for the great game GGG see you at the end of the race!

TL;DR
- I played my own account
- I DID skip side quest (but have went back and done them when the rewards were needed)
- I got slow due to 1st time being in Merc and friends needing assistance

-Psyk
Fayded 78 Marauder - 1st Place One Week Race (09/11/2012)

IKnowYouLoveMe 24 Ranger - 1st Place 2-Hour Party Race (09/15/2012)

Fayded 76 Marauder - 1st Place (Tie) One Week Race (08/23/2012)
Well, as much as you do not want to be judged by generalizations then please do not judge the community back in the same way. It was one or two people here attacking you. The same number or more actually sent congratz your way, so you might want to appreciate that too.

That being said: Good luck and keep on trucking ;)
It is even more impressive to see you achieve this without having much experience in the game. Might I ask if the experience to achieve such a lead and keep going without dying comes from other games or are you simply talented?
Last edited by Burgingham on Aug 28, 2012, 11:33:53 AM
Well, dead just before level 57.

I know everybody's sick of people bitching about dying to desyncs, but this one was extremely exceptional for me. I had 3 really excellent life flasks that could basically let me live through absolutely everything. I had experienced desyncs before and was prepared to deal with them but I was not prepared for the fucking MOTHER LODE of desyncs.

I desynced so bad that monsters could still hit me no problem, but I couldn't use any of my flasks. I hit all of them several times but not one of them went off. Even when I was dead they were still full. I didn't alt+f4 because I had no idea it was possible for a desync to cut off my input completely regarding flasks, had I known that I probably would have hit it the instant my flasks didn't go off and lived.

Only 20 hours played, but I don't actually have the time or fortitude to continue the marathon. Really disappointed that another race I had a chance at succeeding in was cut short by a bug, but it is a beta. It was fun while it lasted, at least now I can sleep.

Good luck to all of the other racers! I'm looking forward to seeing how far Fayded takes it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info