Now that the diamond supporters have made a nice 1 handed axe....

Another point that could possibly be made here:

The Rare items that might be just as good or better than the uniques ... are, well, rare items. You're not going to find many of the exact same one out there. Its name will not be recognized as a "must have" item, because it's a rare.

Uniques, on the other hand, are all pretty much the same as others of the same type, and have name recognition. This fact alone means that they will be seen as "best in slot" items, because what else are people going to go for? A rare that just happens to have this and that and some other property, right? Sure, but how many are there of the exact kind you're thinking of? And how many others are just about the same but ever-so-slightly different? You can't just slap a name on it and have people looking for it, because chances are the rare they roll won't be nearly the same as the one you did.

The advantage of uniques then become their ... unique properties, and the fact that you then sacrifice the high rare qualities should, in theory at least, be a drawback. However, sure, little inherent drawbacks are always nice to see.
Invited to Beta 2012-03-18 / Supporter since 2012-04-08
"
VideoGeemer wrote:
"
Ocylix wrote:
"
magree wrote:
Can someone create a good physical dagger, claw or sword? My melee shadow and ranger feel left out since axes will not work with whirling blades. :(

I tried to make a claw sir, but they said it wasn't possible the way I wanted it. D:

How is that possible? Did you want it to be a fire cat or something?

well I wanted cleave to work with the claw. it turns out, we can't make an item have two types (sword claw, axe staff, etc)

so I went for something else. :D
I need more purple titles
Not only is that new Axe crazy as hell, that new belt is absurd as well.

For anyone who didn't catch it. If the unique making process really is just "Give me a belt with some WED, Mana and ES and some nice Phys Mana Leech with Power Charges and %to decrease freeze/chill duration with higher ES"

Some guy in the unique design department went above and beyond the call. Lol

65% of the average "good" ES of 8k is 5600.. At 3k HP I get frozen/chilled for like .0002 seconds or something laughable. It's basically the new Chayula.. Then that mana leech + ES rolls... Jesus.

Almost makes me want to remake my CI Crit Dagger.
IGN: NoahsArChen

"Oh awesome, this guy posted his current gear. Let me find him an upgrade!" ~Said no one ever.
Last edited by SaintSoLo on Jul 5, 2013, 8:16:30 PM
My CI Crit Shadow would sell his soul for that belt.
"Danger is like jello, there's always room for more."
http://www.twitch.tv/vejita00
So...yeah...if anyone finds that axe message me, I'll pay top currency for it (within reason)

(for serious)
Last edited by Route1 on Jul 5, 2013, 8:24:25 PM
"
Me no so good math.

Can you break down what that line about chill duration and energy shield actually means? Maybe I'm unusually dense but I find it really hard to interpret. It takes about duration but gives no units of time, and 'based on' is really ambiguous.

Someonehelp.

oh, hang on. So it means it calculates it ...okay. I got it.

Oh dear lord.

I think what it means, is that for the Chill/Freeze duration formula that uses your max HP value to calculate normally (which is why most CI users get frozen for so long and needed Chayula, because their total health was usually low) it will now use 65% of your ES value instead.

So basically when it comes to Freeze/Chill duration if you have 8k ES you will be treated as having 5600 HP essentially.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Freeze

At least that's what I came away with from reading the wiki about how Freeze is calculated.

EDIT: Oh you got it, derp.
IGN: NoahsArChen

"Oh awesome, this guy posted his current gear. Let me find him an upgrade!" ~Said no one ever.
Last edited by SaintSoLo on Jul 5, 2013, 9:07:14 PM
Usually based on max HP (and damage received), now based on 65% of your ES instead.

Edit: crap. The post I made before was too late, this one is too late. Next time I just press F5 instead of bothering with the message, I guess >_<

Anyway, it's dream fragments, chayula is stun.
✠ ✠
Last edited by wiggin on Jul 5, 2013, 9:09:15 PM
"
"
Barry wrote:

Yeah I have read that post that's how I know they're going to neuter the item, which I'm all for. I was just hoping Charan could give us the inside scoop.

I'm riding the coat-tails of others here, because it was deteego who made it clear that they can't just patch an item once it's in. This is why renaming my sword was such a hassle as well. Basically, it involves changing the item as it drops 'from then on' (thus legacy items). To fix this, they need to backup the entire database, effectively 'destroy' all the old ones and replace them with new ones.

It has happened before, but mostly during Closed Beta (Limbsplitter being the most obvious case in my memory). I think LG will be legacied, unfortunately, BUT I do hope that GGG will at some point do a sweep. This may mean some downtime, which of course is something GGG is famous for *not* having.

I was very outspoken regarding the rebalancing of LG when I took a good look at it, and was thoroughly amused when Chris responded to the call with a personal, rather than official, stance. I reckon someone in the office got the evil eye regarding the implementation of that bow as it stands!

So I don't have any insider info, other than knowledge that changing uniques once they're in isn't anywhere near as simple as it should be, from a player/designer's perspective.

This is why I'm concerned right now at the trend towards very powerful Diaternal uniques. Chris taught me the term 'power creep' and yet here I see it, not so much creeping as leaping.

I think given the transfer of items from hardcore to softcore, and the fact koams etc is already in circulation in softcore, Id just remove Lioneyes Glare for the full game release and leave the legacy items as they are. It will be increasingly about the new leagues etc. I sold my lioneyes already but yeah, people have them now, I would just let them have their fun and make sure new leagues have a more balanced item introduced.

Put in a new one with the same damage stats but on a slower base bow, change the special stats to Resolute Technique + Player Cannot Evade Enemy attacks.
A Unique Butterfly Knife anyone? :P
IGN: Golem_Antsy, Harvest
"
Ocylix wrote:
"
magree wrote:
Can someone create a good physical dagger, claw or sword? My melee shadow and ranger feel left out since axes will not work with whirling blades. :(

I tried to make a claw sir, but they said it wasn't possible the way I wanted it. D:

I applaud your effort none the less.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit - The Tick

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info