Updated Open Beta Date Information

To GGG: It's totally OK to delay a release date - especially a tentative one - if you feel the product is not in a state you want to have it. So, by all means, take your time! Make the game as awesome, balanced and filled with content as you would like it to be. You have my full understanding and support in this, I've seen too many full-priced "betas" (anyone remember Daggerfall? ;-)) to not appreciate a gem when I see it.

To everyone else: 10 bucks for such a great game is not a bad investment, on the contrary. And with the stress-test weekend approaching, everyone should be able to have a taste. So cheer up, it isn't that bad, and at least the GGG folks are honest to us!
A sword he brought, his foes to maim and rend,
from places dark behind forbidden doors,
But night by night he woke with frighten'd roars
from darkest dreams, too strange to comprehend.
(Anonymous)
I like being in a beta. Everything changes and is in fluid. That is great, with each patch i have to adapt new. I love that!

So, stay in closed beta as long as necessary and change and add a lot, please.

The only thing i want to get over with is the character wipe so i can keep my beloved char. :-)
I've played too many unfinished games at their 'release' to complain about such a move. I just wish more developers were able to do this.
99% of suggested changes would make the game easier. Thats why only 1% of suggested ideas are even worth considering.
I see the "see monsters through terrain" as one of the needed techs.
Increasing gameplay performance in high latency is truely a killer and I really respect that they have done as well as they have on that front, but it still needs some refinement and I hope the minion-patch can help with that.
The game has some widely occuring technical problems that can be solved with new tech: Specifically it really needs a FPS-limiter (We are quite a lot who really need to keep GPU from overheating and VSync does not work well! Besides: Blizzard took some slack for delaying placing a framerate-limiter on the login-screen untill after beta, so it is a pretty serious lack! Yes, I use a third party program to do it and it works fine, but it is really not optimal not having it ingame.) and probably also a memory-defragmenter (If that is not in the game already? I do not have this problem, but I know it was an issue that the game crashed after running for a long time. Crashes are generally something you need to avoid since users can get frustrated by them and stop playing!).
That may spare the tech-support from the unhappy customers with serial-crashing machines or worse: Broken hardware/software!

With those techs in the game I see no problem with releasing for open beta. Even though a rework of evasion/surviveability and a website-integrated trade-system might be nice, these things can easily wait 'till after open beta starts!
I appear to be living in "Romance Standard Time". That has to be good! :)
Last edited by radiatoren on Jul 26, 2012, 4:12:52 PM
Awesomesauces. Recent experience tells us that even massive games developers can utterly obliterate a highly anticipated game due to stupid marketing executives and greedy shareholders. Looks like most people on these forums will happily support GGG and PoE for as long as is necessary, and sod the final release date. Which tells me that you're doing something - hell, everything - right.
Oderint dum Metuant, baby!
well atleast a statement :)
keep up the good work, i enjoy the closed beta while u guys are working hopefully hard on the open beta :P
God bless developers of PoE. I hope that will be released in this year. Sry for my bad eng.
I agree, it'd rather stay in closed beta for a while longer than have the game not be ready for the flood of players coming.

Honestly I look at open beta with a mixture of anticipation and dread. I know you plan to make this a free game but the ten dollar fee is so small that I'd prefer to KEEP things the way they are long term and buy entrance for my wife and my broke friend Jack so they can play with me, rather than catering to the people who don't think they can give up a trip to Mcdonalds, or save a dollar a week for a few months to join in.

I want act three, and I don't mind losing my characters. I figure if I wasn't reset to level ONE I'd be doing quest content in "Ruthless" and suddenly it would be balanced for characters who had done two extra acts worth of gathering loot and leveling. I WANT to have my character reset or moved to "legacy" any time you release a new area. I mean who want's to suck?

But I don't see where I, or anyone else here, gains anything by letting a bunch of people in for free. The timing on the open beta is THE determining factor on whether I spend money to get my wife and friend in, and maybe a few more friends as well money permitting. If it's opening in a few weeks I'd simply be wasting my money and probably pissing my wife off as she gets attached to her character and would REALLY hate to see it reset too soon after she starts playing.
This is most definitely the best thing to do.. People who haven't been following the game as intense as many of us here, will dismiss it if it doesn't deliver the first time.

Danskere: PM mig, hvis I har brug for en guild.
i am fine with another delay.Just keep the great work !

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info