Things that Last Epoch does better than POE.

Use some chisels on a white map. Transmute map to make it magic. Use alts to get good mods. Run the map. Should work well especially for map tiers up to 14 or 15.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
"
alhazred70 wrote:

Okay so thats a disingenuous or uninformed take. POE is deeper more complex and more developed, with more stuff to do and more aspirational items. Its also better looking and sounding, has some of the best music in any game, and despite being from 2013 has better animation* also if you're a "screens have to explode or I can't get an erection" type POE is also much more of that. (just being thorough I am not one of those guys)

Not even close bud, more aspirational items?
You can take any unique in last epoch and make it a hybrid with rare roll mods on top, some of them with multiple, this is a lot harder to achieve on t0 rolls than finding a mageblood (which i found 3 of this league and 2 mirrors).
Hard disagree on better looking, and first thing i do when i install poe is turn the music off.
Last edited by plaguefear on Feb 24, 2024, 1:25:48 PM
Does anyone of the POE defenders here really believe from the heart that stuff like Qol, loot, crafting or trade are so good that they can't be improved? Or even in a remotely decent spot to begin with? And what do you think are the chances GGG will ever even attempt to improve those things after a decade of doing absolutely nothing?

My answer to all those questions is a clear "no". LE is still lacking in some aspects, mostly the amount of content and polish. But i am confident that EHG will improve on those things overtime. 1.0 already goes a long way in terms of polish and content quantity will increase naturally. LE is a really good game already and it's likely to get better going forward.

POE might still have the edge now but i don't see it improving down the line because GGG is way too stubborn with their vision. Plus i don't buy their talk of running POE 1 and 2 in parallel. If Poe2 ends up being a success POE1 is doomed to maintenance mode and eventually, death. Let's not kid ourselves there.

GGG is unhappy with what this game has become as it is, Chris stated that back in 3.15. They just don't want to lose tens of thousands of players by bringing it back to where they want it to be. They'll kill it as soon as they think it's no longer needed.
"
plaguefear wrote:
"
alhazred70 wrote:

Okay so thats a disingenuous or uninformed take. POE is deeper more complex and more developed, with more stuff to do and more aspirational items. Its also better looking and sounding, has some of the best music in any game, and despite being from 2013 has better animation* also if you're a "screens have to explode or I can't get an erection" type POE is also much more of that. (just being thorough I am not one of those guys)

You can take any unique in last epoch and make it a hybrid with rare roll mods on top, some of them with multiple, this is a lot harder to achieve on t0 rolls than finding a mageblood (which i found 3 of this league and 2 mirrors).
Hard disagree on better looking, and first thing i do when i install poe is turn the music off.

That's not an equal comparison tho? If you're going for the absolute highest stuff in LE you have to do the same in PoE and that means 3 implicit synth items with "item sells for more" replaced with a corrupted implicit.

I also enjoy the look of PoE including the UI way more and I listen to the PoE OST while playing other games because it's that good.
"
plaguefear wrote:
"
alhazred70 wrote:

Okay so disingenuous it is then.
"only 10% of players care about melee" - Aesop's Fox if he was a GGG dev
"when you die in this game, typically you're getting one shot, you're dieing in one frame; almost always" -Ben_
"
Baharoth15 wrote:
Does anyone of the POE defenders here really believe from the heart that stuff like Qol, loot, crafting or trade are so good that they can't be improved? Or even in a remotely decent spot to begin with? And what do you think are the chances GGG will ever even attempt to improve those things after a decade of doing absolutely nothing?

My answer to all those questions is a clear "no". LE is still lacking in some aspects, mostly the amount of content and polish.

This is a strawman, no one said POE is perfect. In fact I'd wager that outside of INo you'd not find anyone asserting that on this forum. However someone did say that LE does almost everything better than POE. which is a take so devoid of nuance or fairness that it's temping to just write it off as a deliberate provocation the person surely can't actually believe. Or someone trying to validate their preferences with extreme hyperbole.

Personally I have a positive review of LE up on steam posted a day or so ago. You might notice that I posted it right smack in the middle of a review bombing. A deluge of Mixed reviews. So I'm clearly willing to be both reasonable and perhaps even a little generous towards the game. I feel like I am anyway.

Why is LE being review bombed? Well largely because of server issues that every single online game has when they launch. But also because LE has some aspects that any reasonable gamer can say are not very well done. Certainly not "better in every way" than POE. Where those things can be objectively quantified at least. You have to ask yourself why is this person posting that opinion to a POE forum... if the game is so much better than POE during it's 1.0 early launch days what in the world are they doing posting here instead of playing? Probably the servers were down LOL. But also... maybe POE's still better for them somewhere deep down inside, and they wish POE would adopt some of the magic bullet points LE has so they can have their cake and eat it too?

That's kind of where I'm at on this issue myself if I'm being honest. POE is the better game, but if it had a mode between Trivial mode (Trade SC) and SSF a Mode made for normal human beings who don't make a living streaming the game, but also balanced to be a fun experience for a single player without "trade drop rate balancing", or Ruthless' gutted sterility. That for me would be the best of both worlds so to speak. Or hey if they would just not abandon Ruthless ("that ship has sailed") and maybe backed off some of their more obviously terrible choices, and some of their on hindsight over the top choices... that could work as well.

Subjectivity is hard, arguing about it is even harder. Its fair to like something that someone else doesn't. But there is such a thing as nuance and reason. And someone being reasonable or not come across pretty obvious in either case. Decades of reading such posts tends to auto-sort them a bit.

"almost everything" is pretty thin on nuance and reasonableness. I'll be honest I think LE is significantly worse than POE in many ways and a couple of important core aspects, but has a very nice feature list of things I'd love to see in a mode of POE.

We're what 3 or 4 days into LE's launch and I'm already done with it until whatever next league for them is. It just doesn't pull me back in. And I'm back to anticipating the next POE league.
"when you die in this game, typically you're getting one shot, you're dieing in one frame; almost always" -Ben_
"
billclinton48 wrote:
don't get me wrong,

i love to hate POE.
it could be the greatest game EVER, except it isn't.
there are soooo many QoL issues that could, no should have been handled years ago.

The fact remains that this game is absolutely UNPLAYABLE without a shitload of PLAYER-made addons.

Stopping reading at the gross generalization. I have something like ~20k hours on steam and quite a lot of hours before I switched to steam from an old stand alone account. and only this past league installed awakaned POE trade just for the price check thing.

I can admit its nice QoL, but also SC trade (which is insanely trivial to "succeed at" even for someone like me who's kinda a casual) is no challenge at all, buying things = 100% deterministic RNG mitigation, its almost impossible to not trivialize the game. I could quite easily have gone without as I have in the past.

I see this view alot I'd bet large sums of money that less than 1% of POE players ever install a third party app.
"
jsuslak313 wrote:
"
roundishcap wrote:
I think one of the biggest sins that poe does it that it really doesn't let you customize the difficulty or reward when mapping.

we can choose league mechanics and optional hard nodes, but the map mod system is wildly random.

The exact opposite of this statement is true.....pretty much ONLY in PoE can you customize the difficulty and reward to such a degree.

You have map tiers, map rarity, map mods, corrupting, scarabs, the "new" atlas tree, watchstones, etc. None of that is difficulty customization to you?

And with EACH of those different customizations comes additional or specific rewards. General rarity / quantity from mods (and quite a LOT I might add....), specific items from tree/scarab/sextant.

It's also NOT wildly random. There is a finite amount of mods you can roll, and each has a fairly narrow range of values. You know exactly what you are getting into based on what you roll: in fact, I would argue there is functionally NO randomness in map mods.

I don't think you understood my point. But to be clear, I don't consider league mechanics as a map mod. Poe lets you choose stuff to add or remove, but it doesn't really change the rewards or difficulty in any meaningful way.

The stuff I am talking about is stuff that would really customize the game, not just 5% increased chance to see a transmute orb instead of a fragment from a harbinger boss. We have basically no control over the monster type or abilities. We can't block certain Arch-nemesis mods for example.

At the end of the day almost every map I have rolled feels EXACTLY the same no matter what is different because the pool of map mods is so limited. So on the surface it looks very complex, but is rather shallow. All the stuff we add to maps doesn't fundamentally change them.

It is wild to me that you claim there is no randomness in map mods, when a player can't force any mod to exist on a map. Not even spending all your exalts and annuls trying to roll something can force it to exist if the game decides you don't get to have that mod.

The customization options just aren't cutting it. At the end of the day no amount of juicing or adding stuff too a map makes the rewards feel any better. The game has some fundamental flaws they should address, like loot on the ground being absolutely worthless or a lot of information only existing in community tools (such as minion stats or aoe breakpoints).
"
alhazred70 wrote:
"
Baharoth15 wrote:

My answer to all those questions is a clear "no". LE is still lacking in some aspects, mostly the amount of content and polish.

This is a strawman, no one said POE is perfect. In fact I'd wager that outside of INo you'd not find anyone asserting that on this forum. However someone did say that LE does almost everything better than POE. which is a take so devoid of nuance or fairness that it's temping to just write it off as a deliberate provocation the person surely can't actually believe. Or someone trying to validate their preferences with extreme hyperbole.

Personally I have a positive review of LE up on steam posted a day or so ago. You might notice that I posted it right smack in the middle of a review bombing. A deluge of Mixed reviews. So I'm clearly willing to be both reasonable and perhaps even a little generous towards the game. I feel like I am anyway.

Why is LE being review bombed? Well largely because of server issues that every single online game has when they launch. But also because LE has some aspects that any reasonable gamer can say are not very well done. Certainly not "better in every way" than POE. Where those things can be objectively quantified at least. You have to ask yourself why is this person posting that opinion to a POE forum... if the game is so much better than POE during it's 1.0 early launch days what in the world are they doing posting here instead of playing? Probably the servers were down LOL. But also... maybe POE's still better for them somewhere deep down inside, and they wish POE would adopt some of the magic bullet points LE has so they can have their cake and eat it too?

That's kind of where I'm at on this issue myself if I'm being honest. POE is the better game, but if it had a mode between Trivial mode (Trade SC) and SSF a Mode made for normal human beings who don't make a living streaming the game, but also balanced to be a fun experience for a single player without "trade drop rate balancing", or Ruthless' gutted sterility. That for me would be the best of both worlds so to speak. Or hey if they would just not abandon Ruthless ("that ship has sailed") and maybe backed off some of their more obviously terrible choices, and some of their on hindsight over the top choices... that could work as well.

Subjectivity is hard, arguing about it is even harder. Its fair to like something that someone else doesn't. But there is such a thing as nuance and reason. And someone being reasonable or not come across pretty obvious in either case. Decades of reading such posts tends to auto-sort them a bit.

"almost everything" is pretty thin on nuance and reasonableness. I'll be honest I think LE is significantly worse than POE in many ways and a couple of important core aspects, but has a very nice feature list of things I'd love to see in a mode of POE.

We're what 3 or 4 days into LE's launch and I'm already done with it until whatever next league for them is. It just doesn't pull me back in. And I'm back to anticipating the next POE league.

Nice post. I agree LE is fun. I admit I haven't played it in a few months though.

What I think PoE could do better is to spend more effort on QOL features. Maybe about a league release's worth of work spread out over a few releases.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
Last edited by Turtledove on Feb 24, 2024, 6:25:30 PM
"
billclinton48 wrote:

Short answer: well, basicly everything.

First and foremost. There is NO death penalty.
Yep, you actually get to enjoy the game without fear of losing up to 60% of experience in, like, 2 minutes. Experience that represents hours and hours of time invested and makes you want to ragequit the entire game just a few weeks into a league. None of that in Last Epoch. What a strange concept to actually let your players enjoy the game. Imagine that.

EVERYTHING is pre-identified.
You can hover over an item on the ground and immediately see its stats, and easily decide if you want to pick it up for sale or use. No need to pick up thousands and thousands of scrolls of wisdom, thousands of clicks to identify items that you are then not going to use after all.

Town Portal is a BUTTON.
How is that for a novel idea. You press the button onscreen or the key-bind and you get transported to the last town. No need to pick up thousands of portal scrolls, open inventory, click portal scroll, click portal. I wonder why GGG never thought of that.

Gold is picked up automatically by walking over it, and all crafting materials in the area are picked up by 1 click.

There is a built in and fully customizable loot filter.
YOU decide what shows up and what doesn’t.
No more loot explosions that literally obscure entire screens and that that actually follow you around if you dare to move away.

Crafting is very straightforward. You provide the materials and you get the result.
No need to be a rocket scientist like in POE in the first place, and no guarantees on crafting ANYTHING where everything is randomized so there is no telling what you get.

DOORS!
Doors can be destroyed or open automatically if you approach them. No need to click them, like in PoE and be instagibbed a fraction of a second later by the 10.000 mobs that await beyond.

Ground effects are actually visible, so you can actually move out of the way before you perish from some invisible stuff in POE.
Nothing like blight ravaged maps or breaches that are infested with a gazillion mobs, where you can’t see shit and that actually make my PC’s FPS drop to way below 1 and eventually just STOP and disconnect.

Feedback and bug reports on forums are actually read and responded to by the development team. something i have NEVER seen on the poe forums.

Boss Fights.
So far looking quite good.
POE has some of the most poorly designed boss fights with en even poorer loot table. Sirus, Maven, need I say more? Eater of worlds takes forever to grind to and he drops a 1c glove as reward. Well done GGG.

Sure there are issues in LE, it is after all still at 0.9.2 and endgame content is still a bit meagre, but I’m reasonably confident that tomorrow we will see a game that is gonna give POE a run for its money, perhaps not this week, but surely the months and years to come in a way that D3&4 never could.
I have to say you are pretty much 100% right.It would be great if poe made some of those changes poe would be even more amazing.Thing is and im a LE fan poe is miles better currently MILES!!!.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info