3.22.0b Hotfix 4

When they first release the "POE2 GPU-based particle system", performance decrease was obvious even without objects flickering and other artifacts. Yes, maintaining self-made 3D engine in 2023 is a monumental technical challenge, and I was always greatly impressed by this part of GGG work (as opposed by game design and balance, next exp penalty rant coming soon :) ).

However, when it became clear that actual "performance increases" from this patch were few and far between, it was on GGG to refuse reverting it until fixing the problems. They decided to press on, started the league with it, and trying bandaid fixes on the fly. Poor decision.

As for "we can now make better vfx", well, poe1 never looked like modern AAA game as a whole. Even if some vfx become more complex, terrain and character meshes are still from 2012, and for now I fail to see any benefit from pushing those engine changes now.
Last edited by Echothesis on Aug 29, 2023, 1:34:43 AM
It's not about good looking, but portability. Nobody was saying the performance will be better, just GPU will take some degree of calculation from CPU, which is good in modern era.
In game is horrible amount of particle data. Just pushing some heavy engine changes without weeks of testing is highly unproper.
"End of March makes 3 months and 21 days which is almost 4 months and not 3 1/2, get your math right hoho."
"
Dxt44 wrote:

Nobody was saying the performance will be better, just GPU will take some degree of calculation from CPU, which is good in modern era.

Yeah, but at least it shouldn't have become worse :)

I bet untrained eye won't notice the difference in improving vfx they are making, but everyone notice when half objects on screen start heavily flickering and lose their drawn materials until you portal in and out of the map. And I am pretty sure my hardware and system configuration is ok and up-to-date.
I cant play the game anymore. Great job.
this is the worst optimization game i have ever played.
"
Echothesis wrote:

Yeah, but at least it shouldn't have become worse :)

I bet untrained eye won't notice the difference in improving vfx they are making, but everyone notice when half objects on screen start heavily flickering and lose their drawn materials until you portal in and out of the map. And I am pretty sure my hardware and system configuration is ok and up-to-date.

Game is in awfull state, for sure. Personally, I'd remove half of those effects from the game.
If I wasn't addicted, I wouldn't play it.
"End of March makes 3 months and 21 days which is almost 4 months and not 3 1/2, get your math right hoho."
Great, so from what I gather this patch has actually made things even worse for a lot of players than things already were :D

Somewhat ridiculous.
Stupid PoE2 Particle System Patch...

New mute system is another hot garbage.
Msi HD7870 Hawk and Fx4330
Today i got an update for 200mb and my game got fpslocked on 24 fps when im using Vulkan. When im changing to Dx11(What works so bad for my Pc) it's all Ok, if im changing to Dx12, it's fpslocked on 14-18fps(randomly). Im nothing change in my Pc or settings from prev days. Please FIX
No performance issues here, only textures missing and assets turning invisible.
Latest patch helped, but I still had textures missing from time to time.
I removed all MTX on my char and no more textures missing.

edit: Infested Valley still has issues. Map starts flickers and abilities are not visible.
Last edited by Takiah on Aug 29, 2023, 8:47:32 AM
"
Takiah wrote:
No performance issues here, only textures missing and assets turning invisible.
Latest patch helped, but I still had textures missing from time to time.
I removed all MTX on my char and no more textures missing.

edit: Infested Valley still has issues. Map starts flickers and abilities are not visible.

For me every map starts flickers if you stack enough mobs and skill vfx on screen. Easy to reproduce with buffed Blight, happens even without delirium. Infested Valley happens to have lower flicker treshold, maybe because of native fog there.

Was like this ever since first patch with "new particle system". Average fps also 20%-30% lower, but at least no insane load spikes on cpu/gpu or permanent shader compilation. Ryzen 5 5600x, rtx 3060 12gb vram, 32gb ddr4 ram. No other games have issues or screen artifacts.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info