How dare the reddit PoE mods lock down the 'official' PoE sub-reddit

"
Gamingtwink wrote:
i dont think GGG will ever return or take over the sub. Especially as the enshittification of reddit continues.

The only thing reddit is actually good at (for GGG) is marketing new content on the frontpage and exposing it unaware people.

the community itself might as well reside on another site

see the article and apply to reddit
https://www.wired.com/story/tiktok-platforms-cory-doctorow/

They won't. They had it and handed it over. Why on earth would they want it back, especially after mostly abandoning it after being abused there.

There are plenty of options beyond the two being presented a few posts above; a false dilemma which is a logical fallacy. But really, nothing is going to change. In time they'll open the sub back up because Reddit is going to win this battle. I don't say that because I want them to, just a pragmatic view of things to come.

So, although there are plenty of potential options, there really is only one likely outcome. They open it back up and everything stays the same minus some moderator tools. I don't know what that looks like, but if some of the purported uses of those tools is true, bots/reposts and a few other negative things will start to run more rampant than they already do.
Last edited by Nubatron on Jun 15, 2023, 12:38:02 PM
"
Nubatron wrote:
"
Gamingtwink wrote:
i dont think GGG will ever return or take over the sub. Especially as the enshittification of reddit continues.

The only thing reddit is actually good at (for GGG) is marketing new content on the frontpage and exposing it unaware people.

the community itself might as well reside on another site

see the article and apply to reddit
https://www.wired.com/story/tiktok-platforms-cory-doctorow/

They won't. They had it and handed it over. Why on earth would they want it back, especially after mostly abandoning it after being abused there.

There are plenty of options beyond the two being presented a few posts above; a false dilemma which is a logical fallacy. But really, nothing is going to change. In time they'll open the sub back up because Reddit is going to win this battle. I don't say that because I want them to, just a pragmatic view of things to come.

So, although there are plenty of potential options, there really is only one likely outcome. They open it back up and everything stays the same minus some moderator tools. I don't know what that looks like, but if some of the purported uses of those tools is true, bots/reposts and a few other negative things will start to run more rampant than they already do.

Even if they don't want to take it back they should. That sub is toxic. Censored in favor third party groups. You constantly see posts in favor of bots being promoted to the first page while posts against bots get down voted, locked to keep the community safe, or simply deleted. Same goes for any post that economically affects them. Specially with a special third group that shall remain nameless, but we all know exactly who it is.

Also, you completely lost your argument like 30 minutes ago and here you are saying it all over again.

To be honest, there is no argument against such a simple claim: They should either close it permanently or hand it over to GGG.
slow clap.
"

Even if they don't want to take it back they should. That sub is toxic. Censored in favor third party groups. You constantly see posts in favor of bots being promoted to the first page while posts against bots get down voted, locked to keep the community safe, or simply deleted. Same goes for any post that economically affects them. Specially with a special third group that shall remain nameless, but we all know exactly who it is.

Also, you completely lost your argument like 30 minutes ago and here you are saying it all over again.

To be honest, there is no argument against such a simple claim: They should either close it permanently or hand it over to GGG.

Nah, that place is just like any other sub. I'm not saying that's a good thing, just that most subs tend to be about the same when you reach enough active users.

As for "losing", that's quite funny. The moment someone presents a logical fallacy as if it is the sole basis for the discussion, the discussion is basically over. There are more than two options by a long shot. Presenting only two is at best misleading. Here were the two options presented:

1. Hand it over to GGG
2. Shutter the whole thing

Both options are self-serving to the person that presented them (who is probably also you). Here are a few more options including the one I just said:

3. It opens back up with less moderator tools.
4. They win and Reddit puts the API prices at a more reasonable level
5. Reddit sticks to their API pricing, subs continue to go dark and Reddit goes out of business.
6. Someone opens a new subreddit as the new unofficial POE site and things eventually end up like they are now in a very short period of time.

I could go on, but those seems like the only choices within the realm of reasonably possible (that feels pretty generous considering the first two options). They are not all mutually exclusive either. Here is a quick summary of each one of those things:

1. A complete reversal of what has already happened. GGG owned it. They don't anymore. They didn't want responsibility then. Why would they want it back?
2. Ridiculous scorched earth that no one except jaded users of the sub would advocate for.
3. The most likely outcome in my opinion.
4. Never going to happen. They have an IPO coming, and this is a blatant money grab to sell data to AI companies.
5. Also ridiculous. Reddit would revisit the whole thing if going out of business was the only alternative. Also would never happen because it would require Reddit users to stop using, and they won't.
6. Possible. Not likely though because who wants to manage a sub that big, particularly since the group seems to have gripes about the mods. I doubt they want to do the job instead.

Anyway, option 3 is right around the corner and coming. I would recommend being ready for that outcome.
Last edited by Nubatron on Jun 15, 2023, 1:04:28 PM
Louis Rossmann On his newest video: Reddit CEO calls unpaid moderators' concerns "noise" - time to send a message he won't forget. Just said:

"
I wondered what would it be like the next time a large company does something that is horrible if there is no reddit? and it seems like doesn't really matter much at all. So I'm not posting to this (Reddit) website anymore. I have no intention to post to Reddit anymore and I suggest you stop using it as well

I know I'm not alone on this. He doesn't even know all what a cesspool the poe sub reddit is. Hasn't seen any of the agenda. Hasn't experienced any of the censoring to protect a mirror mafia. Nothing. Just in general... So I'm not coming with this out of the blue. In fact, the sentiment is shared by like 2-3 more people on this comment section.

No idea why some ppl want to push so hard against the idea that they should either close it permanently or hand it over to GGG.
Last edited by StinkStink on Jun 15, 2023, 1:07:03 PM
Imagine unironically using Reddit for anything in the current year.
My most hated game.
My most favorite game.
Such is the duality of man.
"
ValfaderTV wrote:
Imagine unironically using Reddit for anything in the current year.

It has uses that are not ironic. With regard to useful information, it is more of a desert than an ocean. But there is the occasional oasis.
Last edited by Nubatron on Jun 15, 2023, 1:29:26 PM
There's already a community in the lemmyverse created by one of the reddit mods. You can find it by Googling path of exile discussion
Last edited by sanleon on Jun 15, 2023, 1:52:03 PM
Whatever the solution to this problem, I hope it doesn't require players to have an account to interact with information freely provided by the community.

I've always thought that Devs running their own subreddit, and moderating it, was terrible optics.

Do you really want GGG controlling narratives, topics, information, fucking with rules, making edits, etc..?

While there are edgelord moderators all over discord and reddit, it's still the lesser of two evils imo, to having a massive conflict of interest, information and discussion wise, if it's all self-policed by the company internally.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on Jun 15, 2023, 1:53:10 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info