How dare the reddit PoE mods lock down the 'official' PoE sub-reddit

"
Chadwixx wrote:
Someone said you can create a new sub reddit, you can also create a new reddit :)

I don't think you understand just how much money a server of the scale of Reddit would cost to operate each month. And this is aside the cost of buying a server rack able to handle millions of users each day, security risks and costs, techs and coders.

With what little I could find in the thirty minitues I opted to spend digging, the low end cost to 'just make a new Reddit' is in the ball park of $20,000, with an expected maintiance cost of roughly $4,000 per year to keep it working, cover server costs and the like. I identified a few pieces that could in theroy be cut, that would get the initial dev cost to about half of that, but that required gutting all of the dev work supporting add and purchase support, meaning you'd have no income and have to hold out the charity cup, or just have someone pay for yearly costs out of pocket. And these where running on assumptions you're getting a heck of a deal on everything, using the absolute cheapest estimates in worker and product costs (and was in 2020). It could be as much as ten times that (and this is aside of any possible legal entanglements you might run into, or just preemptive lawyer costs for your safety).

The cost adjustments of API requests they're making will cost larger 3rd party devs upwards of 20 Million yearly, which is (in theroy) for Reddit to recoup the cost the apps put on the servers. I'm in no position to say if this is justifiable or just looking to expand profits by new venues, but API requests from apps absoultly eat up server bandwidth and taxes its power bill.
I can't imagine why anyone would want to be a Reddit mod. No matter what you do, people talk about you in the worst way possible. You're guilty by association instantly. One mod is shit? You must be too.

Now Reddit makes it so tools that help moderate are soon economically infeasible, resulting in moderating being much harder. They take a stand on the matter, and they're just bashed some more.

I'm going to guess everyone who is bashing the mods would never put in the time and effort to be a mod. Particularly since Reddit is filled with hateful awful comments that constantly need moderated and you get shit on for doing it.
Last edited by Nubatron on Jun 15, 2023, 7:19:29 AM
"
Nubatron wrote:
I can't imagine why anyone would want to be a Reddit mod. No matter what you do, people talk about you in the worst way possible. You're guilty by association instantly. One mod is shit? You must be too.

Now Reddit makes it so tools that help moderate economically infeasible, resulting in moderating being much harder. They take a stand on the matter and they're just bashed some more.

I'm going to guess everyone who is bashing the mods would never put in the time and effort to be a mod. Particularly since Reddit is filled with hateful awful comments that constantly need moderated and you get shit on for doing it.

I still remember the shock from when I found out that reddit mods aren't reddit employees, but people who, for some reason unfathomable to me, work for a billion dollar corporation without any pay or promise of thereof.

I get that people like to do things harmful to themselves, but I don't see why I should support it.
Last edited by Xyel on Jun 15, 2023, 7:22:25 AM
"
Xyel wrote:

I still remember the shock from when I found out that reddit mods aren't reddit employees, but people who, for some reason unfathomable to me, work for a billion dollar corporation without any pay or promise of thereof.

I get that people like to do things harmful to themselves, but I don't see why I should support it.

I could understand why you might want to moderate a small niche sub that's related to something you're very interested in but those subs with millions of users, most of whom are morons, yeah no thanks.
Bait
"
Xyel wrote:
"
Nubatron wrote:

Now Reddit makes it so tools that help moderate economically infeasible, resulting in moderating being much harder. They take a stand on the matter and they're just bashed some more.

It's the only way that business model works probably. Anyone being able to create a sub and Reddit being responsible for moderating them would quickly scale beyond any reasonable budget. Reddit would need to become an advertisement cesspool or users would have to pay to use. The free to use part brings a lot of people, which is part of what makes it all work, so forcing people to pay probably wouldn't fly. Ads everywhere makes an app miserable to use, and eventually they find a way to avoid them through ad blockers or just leaving, lowering that revenue stream.

Anyway, this is a temporary speed bump on the path to Reddit taking a turn for the (much) worse. If mods lose the tools to do their jobs effectively, they'll likely give up after trying to do their jobs ineffectively and then getting shit on even more. Subs will shift toward the loudest and most crass, and anyone worth having a civil conversation will be gone.

It's the natural cycle of things if you're aware of the enshittification lifecycle. They're currently shitting on their business partners. That's where we are.
Last edited by Nubatron on Jun 15, 2023, 10:12:54 AM
They dare to lock it down because they don't care at all about the community. It's all ego, self interest, profits for them.

If they cared at all. They would either close that cesspool permanently or hand it over to GGG.
"
StinkStink wrote:
They dare to lock it down because they don't care at all about the community. It's all ego, self interest, profits for them.

If they cared at all. They would either close that cesspool permanently or hand it over to GGG.

You keep making the same claim over and over again as if it means something. I don't know what it is like to be a moderator. I'm getting the impression you don't either.

If mods across all of Reddit are worried about being able to moderate after losing access to tools, I'm inclined to believe the people who actually know what they are talking about.
"
Nubatron wrote:
"
StinkStink wrote:

You keep making the same claim over and over again as if it means something. I don't know what it is like to be a moderator. I'm getting the impression you don't either.

If mods across all of Reddit are worried about being able to moderate after losing access to tools, I'm inclined to believe the people who actually know what they are talking about.

What's so wrong about them handing over the sub to GGG? I don't see what's wrong. Can you elaborate? All I see is a third party having control of the community built on top of a game made by GGG.

So... what's the problem with them handing over the sub to GGG?
"
StinkStink wrote:

What's so wrong about them handing over the sub to GGG? I don't see what's wrong. Can you elaborate? All I see is a third party having control of the community built on top of a game made by GGG.

So... what's the problem with them handing over the sub to GGG?

GGG had original control of that sub. They handed it to others to manage. What makes you think they want it back? They abandoned even posting there after it got so hostile and toxic toward them.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info