How dare the reddit PoE mods lock down the 'official' PoE sub-reddit

This post and post like this one provide zero value to the game. Zero. Nothing to be gained here. Nothing new to learn.

The game is divided by those that promote and do ToS breaking things and those ethical few.

That's why they should either close it permanently or hand it over to GGG and that's why all these posts need to be locked away.

Like what do you even hope to gain from posts like these? you expect GGG to buy reddit? What's the point? It's a third party. Nothing to do with GGG. You want GGG to be able to do something about it? then, they should either close it permanently or hand it over to GGG.

Simple.
"
KaTet wrote:

It's not for the greater good. It's for greedy app devs like Apollo that think they can profit off another companies platform. Moderation tools and accessibility have already been confirmed by reddit to not be affected. Use the official app. It works just fine.

This isn't about apolo...

There are dozens of free third party clients for android, they were there much earlier the official app was released and they are still much better in almost every aspect.

Reddit official app has been proven worse than Facebook, Tiktok, Snapchat and Instagram regarding privacy (https://privacy.commonsense.org/evaluation/Reddit)

I have been enjoying Reddit since 2012 but nothing lasts forever.

If people want to know where this may be going, a lot of people seem to go the fediverse route, including mods of old reddit that already have created a community there for PoE with it's own instance

This is also beneficial for PoE official forums. It has been a while since PoE staff don't post on Reddit, get over it people, Reddit is dead. Long live official forums and fediverse!
Last edited by sanleon on Jun 15, 2023, 5:17:59 PM
"
taggedjc wrote:

All I can say is this:

Code of ConductThe Path of Exile forums and in-game chat are for civil, constructive discussion of the game. Posts or names that are deemed to breach these guidelines may be edited or removed at GGG’s discretion, and the player’s forum or chat access may be restricted. A probated player is not allowed to post on any alternate accounts to circumvent this restriction.

Please do not:

● Make hateful or needlessly negative comments

● Discuss inflammatory topics, such as Politics or Religion

● Personally attack or cause harm to the reputation of others

● Antagonise others in an obnoxious manner

● Disrupt forum or chat use for others

● Reference explicit or illegal material

For more please visit: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1457463

● Impersonate Grinding Gear Games staff
Last edited by StinkStink on Jun 15, 2023, 3:39:14 PM
lol the same person posting in these threads with multiple accounts is hilarious
Listen if you think there shouldn't be any community driven discussion that GGG doesn't have authority to moderate, that's certainly one way to go, I doubt people will be clammering to get behind that way of thinking.

And your summary on TFT was...well it was something.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
Listen if you think there shouldn't be any community driven discussion that GGG doesn't have authority to moderate, that's certainly one way to go, I doubt people will be clammering to get behind that way of thinking.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

You can't be judge, jury, and executioner.

You can't be the plaintiff and the defendant.

You can't be "for the community" and at the same time hurt the community.

People love to twist things around and when you confront them with facts they just ignore them and go back to whatever bullet point they where taught. It's almost as if there is no real discussion ever. Just one say saying something and the other side completely ignoring the facts.
Last edited by StinkStink on Jun 15, 2023, 3:54:53 PM
"
Nubatron wrote:
I honestly think that smaller subs are fine, but once you start getting into the millions, you're bound to have bad apples that are shockingly awful and equally loudmouthed about it. Not all subs are bad and I realize that's a broad generalization, but that has definitely been my experience. The toxic subs are still better than the echo chambers that ban any outsider opinions. Those are funny in a way I suppose.

As for YT, FB and Twitter: I'm not sure that is the finest example of good places to be. I largely quit using FB a few years ago because it was getting so bad. One of my high school acquaintances became a raging racist and seemed to be able to say some pretty awful things without any repercussions. YT comments can be pretty vile as well. I don't use Twitter much, but it does appear that a lot of bigoted awful things are unmoderated now in the name of "free speech absolutism" (while ironically censoring things that the thin-skinned CEO gets his feelings hurt over).

Now some will say that everyone should be able to say whatever they want, and that's kind of true I suppose if you think the vilest deserve a megaphone. I tend to reference the Paradox of Tolerance when it comes to that point though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_tolerance

It's not a megaphone though - tweets don't spread on twitter unless a lot of people like and retweet them. Same for videos on Youtube and posts on Facebook (I suppose at FB - I use it solely to run ads so I've got no idea how the algorithms work). The spreading potential of anything on a social network is directly proportionate to how much it resonates with the users, and if there're enough people to push a fringe opinion to the point where it could be considered a megaphone, is it really a fringe opinion?

My favorite example of this are flat-earthers - that's an absurdly stupid belief, and it hasn't been censored at all. The result is that the vast majority of everyone recognizes it as the brand of idiocy that it is, and it's not like there's a flood of any flat-earth content on any social network.

Allowing stupid ideas to be beaten up in a public discussion is a fairly effective way to push them into irrelevancy while protecting an idea from public discussion by outright banning it gives it sort of a sacred status ('they wouldn't be banning it if it wasn't true').
Last edited by Xyel on Jun 15, 2023, 3:59:20 PM
"
StinkStink wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

You can't be judge, jury, and executioner.

You can't be the plaintiff and the defendant.

You can't be "for the community" and at the same time hurt the community.

This is exactly what your are arguing GGG should be able to do, and control all Reddit discussion topics? (Like they do here to a degree)

Nah dude that's not good logic.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on Jun 15, 2023, 4:09:50 PM
"
Xyel wrote:

I use reddit a lot, it's by far and wide my most used social website, and one of its issues is that the subreddits tend to become echo-chamberish at times. The self-moderation contributes to it, because in many subreddits, mods tend to delete posts they disagree with.

I've been around quite a few subreddits, some of them completely unmoderated, and it wasn't a cesspool or anything of that sort. Reddit already has the self-moderation function where heavily downvoted commets vanish and heavily downvoted posts sink, and the imagination that there's an army of people waiting to post most reprehensible of things if only there weren't so many mods on reddit has nothing real behind it.

TRUTH !!!

"
DarthSki44 wrote:

This is exactly what your are arguing GGG should be able to do, and control all Reddit discussion topics? (Like they do here to a degree)

Nah dude that's not good logic.

1. GGG doesn't benefit from the shady groups leeching from the game.
2. GGG has a clear code of conduct with rules that are enforced, not abused. No conflict of interest here. No mods or employees secretly working for third parties.
3. There is not a single word on this forum advocating or promoting things that break ToS/CoC.

Now, compare that to how the poe sub team does things and you will see it's the complete opposite.

Sorry, but the logic is solid. They should either close it permanently or hand it over to GGG.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info