Last Epoch is POE Killer now

POE has turned into that aging supermodel that has undergone so many unneeded procedures that they look unrecognizable but they keep telling themselves they look better.. Meanwhile many fans still say they look just as beautiful as they did because they are so bogged down in bias.

Crafting went so far out of hand it completely took away from a loot grind ARPG appeal. Epoch while a lot simpler at least doesn't have a crafting system that takes away from the search of dropped items. Diablo 3-4 crafting system goes the other way and is so lazily implemented and basic that you might as well just not have one.

With POE1 It was a compounding and snowball effect of the pressure to add revolutionary new league mechanics nearly EVERY league and adding in more currencies (conveniently making new tabs). Then people get used to this level of addition then the devs feel the need to improve on top of that and in the end it's one big clown and circus clusterfk of bloated item/currency system

POE wins hands down in end game options and boss fight polish - for now. But that can always be improved in other titles.

No doubt POE2 will be leaning more in the way of balanced pacing and less bloated systems. POE 1 had a pretty broad appeal and turned into a turbo niche where people are so invested in the game they can't break free even if they wanted to.

More is better until a certain point then you get too saturated and everything just bleeds into the other and you lose purpose and scope. Then you have games like D4 where they just go the opposite route and have a shallow and shameless profit grab. Last Epoch is sort of in the middle and can be tweaked, but it may struggle to hold people long term if they don't improve the endgame loop and polish.
Last edited by poeGT on Feb 27, 2024, 4:30:30 AM
"
poeGT wrote:
Crafting went so far out of hand it completely took away from a loot grind ARPG appeal.

I don't mind that they add new things to craft, i mind that it is hidden behind so many stupid systems and tricks when it should just be part of the crafting bench.
I also refuse to play a league where the biggest gimmick is new crafting shit.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
"
The depth and complexity between Last Epoch and PoE is as different as a puddle is to the ocean.
Oh please, come on now. Path of Exile isn't even that deep and complex. It does have amazing systems, no questions asked, but a lot of it is just a decade worth of bloat and feature creep, the game being unnecessarily tedious and the illusion of choice.

There are NO chance to get back to PoE after LE. PERIOD.

Thank god for LE, I will suport it, my gaming budget is 100% focused on LE now.
I bought LE 3 years ago but playing on/off and tried recently on launch. If anything LE taught me to appreciate what we have at POE much more. I never used to play SSF until LE came out (I was not enjoying how hollow the game felt, so I gave SSF a try). Now, I don't think I will be back to trade or LE. SSF is my new home :D
I don't think it will be a PoE killer. People like and play both. I will say it could hurt PoE more than D4 though, largely because both LE and PoE are PC-first games.

D4's systems, endgame and itemization are all seriously lacking compared to LE and PoE. But LE was never going to kill D4, because D4 isn't really a PC-first game. You can buy D4 and enjoy the game by playing solely on a console. I've played as much D4 on my Steam Deck as I have on my PC and to be honest, the experience on the Deck may actually be better.

As a PC game, D4 stinks compared to LE and PoE. As a console (or Deck) game it's miles better than either of them. I play all three on my Deck. With D4, I can go days (or even weeks) without touching my PC. With LE and PoE I can map, delve, run monoliths, etc., but activities like crafting and inventory management are something I almost always go back to the PC for. And trading is something I wouldn't even consider attempting on a console.

For a game like LE or PoE to be a true Diablo-killer, they'd need to be as playable on the console as they are on the PC. And that would likely result in the kind of compromises we've seen with D4. I'd love a game with PoE's depth that runs as well on a console as it does on a PC, but I'm not sure that's possible.

hoho only good perk to LE is offline mode.
-Official Forum Dweller-
-I started the hoho movement-
-Exploit Early - Exploit Often-
-Moderators are absurd and OP-
Last edited by xPiranha on Feb 27, 2024, 10:38:12 AM
"
xPiranha wrote:
hoho only good perk to LE is offline mode.

It's why I bought it. It's the perfect way to kill time on my Steam Deck during my hour-long train rides to and from work. I've played online games by tethering to my phone, but the connection during the trip can be spotty in some places.
"
It's why I bought it. It's the perfect way to kill time on my Steam Deck during my hour-long train rides to and from work. I've played online games by tethering to my phone, but the connection during the trip can be spotty in some places.

Does it run good on the Steam Deck?
-Official Forum Dweller-
-I started the hoho movement-
-Exploit Early - Exploit Often-
-Moderators are absurd and OP-
Last edited by xPiranha on Feb 27, 2024, 10:45:48 AM
"
xPiranha wrote:
"

Does it run good on the Steam Deck?

I had to force LE to run on Proton Experimental, rather than the native Steam Deck OS. It doesn't seem to work well on the native OS at least at the moment. But it's easy to make that change.

Monoliths, dungeons, etc run great. Like PoE on the Deck though, inventory management and crafting is a bit of a pain.

The inventory issue I've gotten around by setting a stricter loot filter on the Deck than I use on the PC. It means I may miss out on the odd decent Rare drop while levelling, but I can live with that.

For crafting I have to use the touchscreen function, which isn't fun. I tend to save that for the PC.

EDIT: I forgot to add that some builds don't work well on the Deck because the controller just doesn't offer the same precision as a mouse. Fire Wraiths for example don't work well because you can't target one spot and summon them on top of one another. Or put your Life Leech right under them, like you can on the PC.
Last edited by madmikey77 on Feb 27, 2024, 11:01:09 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info