So is Armour useless or not?

"
GameQB11 wrote:
i still dont understand armor in this game. its hard to tell who knows what they're talking about and who is just complaining. The mechanics post doesnt help either.

1. So you mean to tell me that armor doesn't do ANY damage reduction at higher levels? i thought it could do up to 90% damage reduction?

2. If it is true that armor doesnt reduce damage at higher levels, why did they do this? what is the logic behind making armor useless?

Mechanics post helps just fine. It allowed me to put this together:

In Wraeclast, if someone tries to kill you... you just kill them right back.
Long story short, the problem with physical damage is that burst comes with a strong armor penetration bonus. The armor reduction should be calculated like actual armor raported to a default maximum armor value for your level. This is how I see the things.
Last edited by silenrazvan on Mar 4, 2013, 6:06:08 PM
"
GameQB11 wrote:
i still dont understand armor in this game. its hard to tell who knows what they're talking about and who is just complaining. The mechanics post doesnt help either.

1. So you mean to tell me that armor doesn't do ANY damage reduction at higher levels? i thought it could do up to 90% damage reduction?

2. If it is true that armor doesnt reduce damage at higher levels, why did they do this? what is the logic behind making armor useless?
I'm not trying to shut down conversation, but there appear to be a bunch of misconceptions in this thread.

Armour does provided reduction against any physical damage hit. The bigger the hit, the less percentage damage reduction you get (but a small percentage of a big hit can still be a larger value of damage prevented than a big percentage of a very small hit).
If you put on your full plate mail, and I throw hundreds of toothpicks at you, you'll basically not feel it. If someone catapults a whole tree at you, don't expect the armour to prevent as much of the damage.

Armour is better against lots of small hits than against a few big hits - it works well in the case of getting surrounded by normal monsters in melee, but you still need to be quite careful around bosses.

Vaal's explosion/slam seems to keep getting brought up. Please keep in mind that this spell is half fire damage, which is completely unaffected by armour, and that it's very telegraphed and it's intended that you can learn to see it coming and avoid it if you can't tank it (and it's hard to tank).
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Mar 4, 2013, 6:44:34 PM
The problem really is that it's hard to tell at what point is it better to stop investing passive points into health and put those into armor instead (or evasion rating with Iron Reflexes).

From the mechanics of armor it seems like when you have low armor you may as well give up and go entirely into health, and the definition of "low armor" according to what people are saying is pretty much however much armor you have on any build unless you're specifically focusing on max endurance charges and armor nodes. So it's good only for one build? Weird.
Last edited by redrach on Mar 4, 2013, 7:02:38 PM
"
redrach wrote:
The problem really is that it's hard to tell at what point is it better to stop investing passive points into health and put those into armor instead (or evasion rating with Iron Reflexes).

It is never better. It is fine to spend points on IR/eva/armor IF AND ONLY IF you are ALREADY nearby such passive skills; you should never be traversing to these skills unless they are near life nodes. You take those passive skills only when it is more effective not to go after more life (if the nearest life node is far out of reach and would require a lot of attribute investment) or if the investment takes you somewhere useful (ie Leather and Steel cluster gets you near Mana Flows, or Body and Soul gives +10% to resists which is worth it).
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
Last edited by anubite on Mar 4, 2013, 7:18:11 PM
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
GameQB11 wrote:

I'm not trying to shut down conversation, but there appear to be a bunch of misconceptions in this thread.

Armour does provided reduction against any physical damage hit. The bigger the hit, the less percentage damage reduction you get (but a small percentage of a big hit can still be a larger value of damage prevented than a big percentage of a very small hit).
If you put on your full plate mail, and I throw hundreds of toothpicks at you, you'll basically not feel it. If someone catapults a whole tree at you, don't expect the armour to prevent as much of the damage.

Armour is better against lots of small hits than against a few big hits - it works well in the case of getting surrounded by normal monsters in melee, but you still need to be quite careful around bosses.

Vaal's explosion/slam seems to keep getting brought up. Please keep in mind that this spell is half fire damage, which is completely unaffected by armour, and that it's very telegraphed and it's intended that you can learn to see it coming and avoid it if you can't tank it (and it's hard to tank).

This makes a lot of sense, but the problem with this system is that in Merciless almost everything seems to have the potential to throw a whole tree and it's hard to tell who one of those trees is going to come from.

IMO there should be more tooth picks and less trees, especially when it comes to ranged mobs. There should be some enemies that dish out large amounts of damage, and you should be scared of those mobs, but when a melee character can't live long enough to get into range because of the ridiculous amounts of damage dealt by all mobs, half of the builds people want to try are immediately shut out of viability.
IGN Standard: TwerkMachine
Nemesis: Imgonnarip
"
Mark_GGG wrote:

Unless you are wearing 12 times the amount of plate as compared to the size of the tree right?

Love that analogy lol.
Simple way to improve armor would be let's say reduce the 12 multiplier to 6 or another value. That wouldn't make armor too op, but it would make it twice as good so you could tank atleast some hits before going down.

Ofc if you get max amount of endurances (7) plus two rings you have 9 endurance charges, which reduces all damage by 45% making lots of hits seem way weaker than they are but charging endurance every few seconds is very tedious, make the charges to stay lets say about 30 sec's. OR even better idea, make endurace charge give more % reduction depending on your armor (lets say from 0 to 5k armor it would work the same, but after 5k mark lets say every 3k or so extra armor gives each endurace charge extra 1% in reduction (making you without rings only with passive endurance charges absorb 7% more damage then more you stack, so with lets say 17k armor and endurances you would have 4x7+35=63% flat reduction from all damage plus some reduction from armor thus making endurance charges and armor WAY better than they are now, plus making melee and armor more viable), how does this idea sound?
Last edited by NagiSoi on Mar 4, 2013, 7:50:59 PM
Semi-related question.

Does armor reduce the damage your energy shield takes, or only damage dealt to health? Just wondering if getting hybrid armor/es is a waste and i should focus on one or the other.
I had a decent chunk of armour for Vaal Cruel and that ceiling claimed my 48 in HC.

I was aiming for effective health vs stacking mass health. But that didn't seem to work.

What I had roughly (if I can recall)
~1100 Health Points << not my intention to stack HP
~240 Energy Shield
~46% Damage Reduction << is this too low?
~75% Fire,Cold,Lightning Resist
etc,

Knowing now that armour isn't as effective for the strong hitting foes -- makes me feel empty inside.

I would like to see Physical Damage Absorption on gear - like Astramentis unique

To have Physical Damage Absorption that only works on hard hitting foes.

Be interesting to see whats to come next few patches.

Cheers,
Suggestions
>Alt 'Entrance' & 'Quest NPC'|http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26332090/subtledoorANDquest.png
>Alt 'Character Panel'|http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26332090/Stats.png

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info