So is Armour useless or not?

"
boof wrote:
Yeah armor is soooo worthless. Never mind that evreyone and their dog packs at least one granite flask. They just do it to show off how badass they are for carrying useless flasks.

Neither me nor my dog use granites, thanks. :D
GGG - Why you no?
"
Nonsensei436 wrote:
"
Trapperkeeper wrote:
"
Nonsensei436 wrote:
Wait so armor doesn't work on boss fights?

WTF

Sheesh.. this is how false info starts to spread.

Armor works the same no matter who you are fighting. Check the mechanics thread. The formula for damage reduction doesn't depend on if you are fighting a boss or not.

And yet regardless of if its on a my mara with 45% mitigation or my ranger with 0 mitigation, overseer still brings me down to almost dead in one hit.

Something doesn't seem right.

what's not right is getting hit by the oversoul's destruction ball
"
Tygerwoody wrote:
Until armor affects big hits, I'll never use it again.

On closed beta, I had 4000 hps 15k armor(yes 15,000) without flasks.

Here I have 4600 hps, 2k armor. Almost the exact same build as I had in closed beta.

Funny because 10 seconds of basic math shows that you are obviously NOT more tanky now, but that's okay. Just go on being retarded in public.
"
JoannaDark wrote:
"
boof wrote:
Yeah armor is soooo worthless. Never mind that evreyone and their dog packs at least one granite flask. They just do it to show off how badass they are for carrying useless flasks.

Neither me nor my dog use granites, thanks. :D

You are obviously not badass enough to carry a useless flask that doesn't help at all. Keep at it, you'll get there.
"
Kerchunk wrote:
"
Tygerwoody wrote:
Until armor affects big hits, I'll never use it again.

On closed beta, I had 4000 hps 15k armor(yes 15,000) without flasks.

Here I have 4600 hps, 2k armor. Almost the exact same build as I had in closed beta.

Funny because 10 seconds of basic math shows that you are obviously NOT more tanky now, but that's okay. Just go on being retarded in public.

Maybe i read wrong, but I dont think he referred to being *more tanky*, but instead, he said, it was unnoticeable losing that amount of armor. Theres a problem within that.
GGG - Why you no?
i still dont understand armor in this game. its hard to tell who knows what they're talking about and who is just complaining. The mechanics post doesnt help either.

1. So you mean to tell me that armor doesn't do ANY damage reduction at higher levels? i thought it could do up to 90% damage reduction?

2. If it is true that armor doesnt reduce damage at higher levels, why did they do this? what is the logic behind making armor useless?
I made my shadow strictly melee and dying in 1-2 hits was pretty lame.
I used whirling blades most of the time when there's many mobs, it helped a lot because I had life on hit.

Though at higher levels, nearly everything 2 shot you and it doesn't matter with the life leach. I've been using some range but I wanted to focus on melee since I put practically all my passives into it. I went back to using range and holy crap. I can kill things with ease without putting any passives into it. Not just one, but many many many mobs at once.

Melee in this game is just weak and made me felt that it was a big waste of time. Though, I would have to say, single target hitting with melee is still the fastest. As long as it isn't certain bosses then it's okay because the mobs do not hit that fast.

The granite flask is noticeable though. I wouldn't say armor is 100% useless because it does add more hit absorption. Still, melee feels useless to me.

I started a witch and soloed to merciless as a level 45-46 and it sucks getting shit 12+ levels higher(don't feel like I need to grind levels to proceed, it should already give me the levels while playing the zone). So the game felt boring and ultimately I play a lot less now. 0 hour in 1 week so far. I do run around always with 135-180 magic find and around 35 quant find. Changing it up, there's no difference.

But wanted to say, melee is lacking big time and it's a put off to melee'rs in pretty much forcing range play.
Last edited by kingj0n on Mar 4, 2013, 4:29:43 PM
"
GameQB11 wrote:
i still dont understand armor in this game. its hard to tell who knows what they're talking about and who is just complaining. The mechanics post doesnt help either.

1. So you mean to tell me that armor doesn't do ANY damage reduction at higher levels? i thought it could do up to 90% damage reduction?

2. If it is true that armor doesnt reduce damage at higher levels, why did they do this? what is the logic behind making armor useless?

1. Its effectiveness is inversely proportional to the damage dealt to you, thus is it amazing at soaking up many smaller hits but does almost nothing for really big attacks. The problem does not lie with armour but rather the damage output that mobs are doing compounded with insane mods like Haste and Substantial Physical Damage.

2. Refer to 1.

Nobody should be tanking Vaal's slam anyway. It does 12,000 damage in Merciless with a very obvious telegraphed attack. If you insist on saying that its unfair for melee, you would also need to know that it has a terrible horizontal range thus sidestepping the slam avoids it completely.
Last edited by Lyralei on Mar 4, 2013, 4:30:30 PM
"
GameQB11 wrote:

getting 1 shot by a big crit isn't the only thing that kills you

getting hit by a bunch of flicker strike or leap mobs can also kill you, and all it takes is a second of not paying attention which is going to happen eventually, armor is going to save you in this case
"
1235 wrote:
"
GameQB11 wrote:

getting 1 shot by a big crit isn't the only thing that kills you

getting hit by a bunch of flicker strike or leap mobs can also kill you, and all it takes is a second of not paying attention which is going to happen eventually, armor is going to save you in this case

Actually no.
If you are talking about normal and cruel then maybe.
You talk about merciless then no armor will save you from 5 goat mean leaping on top of you.

and yes armor is not that useful unless you endurance charge it "using it as a base value before the charges" which will actually make a big difference.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info