So is Armour useless or not?

"
GameQB11 wrote:
i still dont understand armor in this game. its hard to tell who knows what they're talking about and who is just complaining. The mechanics post doesnt help either.

1. So you mean to tell me that armor doesn't do ANY damage reduction at higher levels? i thought it could do up to 90% damage reduction?

2. If it is true that armor doesnt reduce damage at higher levels, why did they do this? what is the logic behind making armor useless?

The mechanics thread is pretty clear...

reduction = armour / (armour + 12 * damage)

Put in some numbers, like a small hit of 250 damage and a big hit of 3000 damage with a standard armor amount, like 12,000.

Small Hit : 12000 / (12000 + 12 * 250) = 80% reduction
Medium Hit : 12000 / (12000 + 12 * 1000) = 50% reduction
Large Hit : 12000 / (12000 + 12 * 3000) = 25% reduction

I presume the intention behind this scaling mechanic was to help make sure Armor doesn't trump everything else (and apparently, according to Mark, it is realistic too).

It has it's niche against mitigating tons of smaller hits when surrounded. If you want to mitigate big boss hits, that's where Block/Evasion and even HP come into play. It helps facilitate an environment where you would want a good mix of these defenses.

|____________ G . L . O . W . Y . R . M ____________|
< My PoE career highlight, Being beat by Throzz, hehe >
||||||\\\\\~ http://tinyurl.com/2ndPlaceToThrozz ~/////||||||

Im making a little shadow that I play sometimes with my brother who just got the game and I decided to go iron reflexes, im not sure if its still a good idea after reading the first pages of this thread lol.

I was aware that the mechanics of armor wont protect me from big hits but do im losing that much surviviability by going IR?
Last edited by Tiguidou on Mar 5, 2013, 3:54:02 PM
"
Glowyrm wrote:
"
GameQB11 wrote:
i still dont understand armor in this game. its hard to tell who knows what they're talking about and who is just complaining. The mechanics post doesnt help either.

1. So you mean to tell me that armor doesn't do ANY damage reduction at higher levels? i thought it could do up to 90% damage reduction?

2. If it is true that armor doesnt reduce damage at higher levels, why did they do this? what is the logic behind making armor useless?

The mechanics thread is pretty clear...

reduction = armour / (armour + 12 * damage)

Put in some numbers, like a small hit of 250 damage and a big hit of 3000 damage with a standard armor amount, like 12,000.

Small Hit : 12000 / (12000 + 12 * 250) = 80% reduction
Medium Hit : 12000 / (12000 + 12 * 1000) = 50% reduction
Large Hit : 12000 / (12000 + 12 * 3000) = 25% reduction

I presume the intention behind this scaling mechanic was to help make sure Armor doesn't trump everything else (and apparently, according to Mark, it is realistic too).

It has it's niche against mitigating tons of smaller hits when surrounded. If you want to mitigate big boss hits, that's where Block/Evasion and even HP come into play. It helps facilitate an environment where you would want a good mix of these defenses.

Do you know how hard everything in mid-high level maps hit?

Wheres its niche in end game play? Please tell me, because it isn't protecting against the random and completely non-threatening white add mobs running around. No one cared about them to begin with. My CI witch doesn't even care about those.
Last edited by gildash on Mar 6, 2013, 1:08:26 AM
So does this mean a high evasion chance is better because you have a chance to just fully evade the attack?
"
Skeena wrote:
So does this mean a high evasion chance is better because you have a chance to just fully evade the attack?

No.

not at all
"
Skeena wrote:

I believe so. Especially when you get acrobatics, plus the keystone that doubles your chance to avoid projectiles. Then using enfeeble and maybe blind.... I can stand there and face tank on my ranger. At least single bosses. (not act bosses though)
In Wraeclast, if someone tries to kill you... you just kill them right back.
I find it interesting that the same analogy isn't used for resists.

"If you get hit by a torch you hardly feel it, but if you leaped into lava ...."
Redsilk: 78 Dualist
"
Tracker_X wrote:

"If you get hit by a torch you hardly feel it, but if you leaped into lava ...."

The problem with resists is that if higher elemental damage negated resists, then everything would kill you. Imagine trying to fight piety ball lightning if it shredded lightning resist. She would be impossible. The other thing is that resists don't go on ad infinitum. They have very defined caps.
"
DestroTheGod wrote:
"
Tracker_X wrote:

The problem with resists is that if higher elemental damage negated resists, then everything would kill you. Imagine trying to fight piety ball lightning if it shredded lightning resist. She would be impossible. The other thing is that resists don't go on ad infinitum. They have very defined caps.

Nothing stopping armour damage reduction being capped at 75% (or whatever).

I think what the developers were trying to do is to make the game dangerous, even with very high levels of equipment.

Assuming that armour did have a flat damage reduction of say 75%, them with capped resists, the game would become pretty boring because literally nothing could kill you unless you went afk.

They just got the balance wrong, since Act3 was introduced with much, much less testing than the other 2 acts. The same applies to high level maps.

Last edited by Altadoc on Mar 7, 2013, 1:41:03 AM
Armour is very usefull when playing a fast hitting melee class like a cleaver/dual striker. It's a great help against physical reflect mods. As you'll only reflect for small amounts , making armour block almost everything.
IGN : boxxboxx ( Domination )
http://www.youtube.com/user/Boxsalesman?feature=mhee

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info