So is Armour useless or not?

Well you can make armor capped at 75% but kind of non linear.

10.000 Armor - 50%
20.000 Armor - 60%
40.000 Armor - 70%
100.000 Armor - 75%

Would solve a lot of problems i guess.

Or give armor some type of downside.

1% Armor Reduction - 0,1% Damge done reduction
50% Armor Reduction - 10% Damage done reduction
60% Armor Reduction - 20% Damage done reduction
70% Armor Reduction - 30% Damage done reduction
75% Armor reduction - 50% Damage done reduction

So everyboy can make his/her way.

Hard armored - low damage tank
Low armored - high damage glass canon

Guess both wouldnt be ideal and trying to find a balance would be king.

Armor isnt useless. The issue is that it is never, ever more desirable than additional life. If you have a choice between a chest piece that has 400 armor and 100 life, and a chest piece with 1500 armor and 0 life, there are very few situations where the additional armor will help you survive better than the additional life.

Additionally, armor is designed to fail where it counts. It is good for tanking lots of hits from normal mobs, but you dont need armor to tank normal mobs. Any build can be surrounded by weak enemies and sustain their life via leech. PoE's inherent design makes it so that you arent in danger unless you're having large portions of health removed in 1 hit, and armor is designed to be crap for that purpose.

I have yet to hear GGG actually address this design flaw.
IGN: Iolar
Someone wrote that there was big differences between 10k and 5> armour,
I agree with this.

For marauders, armour is indespensable as they get hit by many archers.If only evation, you would get killed in one sec.

For Bosses you can use evation.

There is chest with armour/evation and the requirments to equip them are not so high.

I am using a 1000 armour/1000 evation chest, with about 8000 integrated armour and 15% chace to evade when with aura etc.

I found 2 chests with 1000 armour/1000 evation before, so they are not so rare I guess, and even more common chests with 700 armour/700 evation would work fine for Lv.50 to 70.

Both armour and evation is working very fine to me.
Glad I've found this thread. For me, as a shield marauder, it brought some bad news :(

The most itching thoughts are:
1. Why saying "45% dmg reduction", "70% dmg reduction" et cetera? This is just a misleading number.
2. Toothpick/tree analogy is fine as a concept - but as a part of the game, its fucked up. If you use that, then ether bring me some tree defending armors, or just add some actual description for that stat, like [doesn't work on bosses].
3. So, making a shield marauder is a complete race to the moon?

Sign. Why don't you like us melee maras?
Put on your red shoes and dance the blues.
Last edited by Bozon on Mar 8, 2013, 3:54:44 AM
Shield marauder here too.

Several things comes to my mind.

First, this inefficiency of armor vs heavy hits mean that a beginning marauder who chose to pick armor nodes like me is just going to get toasted later on and will either have to spend countless orbs of regrets or to just plain re-roll a new character.

As obviously armor bonus nodes doesn't even worth +10 Str nodes,
based on what is said in this thread they are wasted skill points.

Now then what is the point of full armor piece with full armor as core defensive bonus ?
They look dedicated for marauder but instead it seem we should use those dedicated to duelist ?

Even more regarding shield,
if shield block is effective and worth using for tanky builds;
Then why would you ever pick any armor shield over avoidance ones ?

Regarding this it looks like you are just better off staking life and avoidance than armor.
As is armor looks more like a stat that you can always take as a plus but definitely not stack.

Well, this is yet just resulting in me re-rolling,
for my build is not going to fair well in higher difficulties :(

I'm, well, pretty disappointed ...
"
Sneakypaw wrote:

Like Hellpyre said, get some Evasion too and evoid getting the REAL big hits (crit).

How intelligent it is to rely on luck
"
BRavich wrote:
Armor isnt useless. The issue is that it is never, ever more desirable than additional life.
I have yet to hear GGG actually address this design flaw.

I would say the problem this way, it seems pathetic

EDIT: sorry doublepost, can't remove it lol awesome
Last edited by XtremuZ on Mar 7, 2013, 6:56:59 PM
As a pulsar, I am debating on either dropping my pure armor chests which are impossible to get the links I need in turn for a pure es chest.

Kind of scared at the gigantic loss of armor though.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info