Rain of Arrows

Rain of Arrows is a flat AoE. The arrow graphics are purely visual. It's one hit, it rolls for Accuracy, and can *easily* miss if you have shit for Accuracy.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Yes, it can miss. It's an Attack, it rolls for Accuracy, just like every other Attack that does not have Always Hits. This is very easy to see for yourself. Grab a shit bow on your Witch, start shooting high level monsters with Rain, watch as you miss half thet time.

Are you absolutely sure? I am on level 83 and my character screen says 55% chance to hit, but even if i try to reproduce a miss, i always hit.
Maybe my chance to hit is high enough to hit lvl 74 enemies and i just dont notice it when it misses one enemy inside of a huge pack once in a while.

"
The point is that RoA fires so many projectiles at once, that even with 40% accuracy you will almost always score a hit. Each projectile you see on the ground is an individual roll, and with the way evasion works in this game, all you need is 100/(100-x) number of projectiles in range to score a hit.

Im very interested in how exactly it works, because what you just wrote would mean that you could completely miss a target if no arrows fell on him, which sometimes happens (a small area will be void of arrows), which i dont think is true because i have seen enemies get hit by that empty space.
Last edited by gh0un on Mar 6, 2013, 8:16:59 AM
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Rain of Arrows is a flat AoE. The arrow graphics are purely visual. It's one hit, it rolls for Accuracy, and can *easily* miss if you have shit for Accuracy.

Interesting, although my personal observation seem to indicate otherwise. Perhaps not in the exact way that I've mentioned, but that right now, I have yet to score a miss on a target that is within the immediate center of the skill. This was true even back when I had only 70% accuracy, and I noted far more misses on my elemental hit than with RoA.

Edit: Just tested with my lvl 65 ranger. Accuracy listed: 77%. Monster subject: lvl 52 Drowned (zombie) from Stranded Shore. Actual accuracy against the monster: 90% (due to 1% displayed accuracy loss per level).

Used a crappy bow and took off all my elemental damage boosts. Killed 2 different Drowned monsters. 40 RoAs for the first, 35 RoAs for the second due to crits. Result: All 75 RoAs dealt damage.

Last edited by Zealflare on Mar 5, 2013, 5:21:54 PM
"
Zealflare wrote:
"
Vipermagi wrote:

Interesting, although my personal observation seem to indicate otherwise. Perhaps not in the exact way that I've mentioned, but that right now, I have yet to score a miss on a target that is within the immediate center of the skill. This was true even back when I had only 70% accuracy, and I noted far more misses on my elemental hit than with RoA.

Edit: Just tested with my lvl 65 ranger. Accuracy listed: 77%. Monster subject: lvl 52 Drowned (zombie) from Stranded Shore. Actual accuracy against the monster: 90% (due to 1% displayed accuracy loss per level).

Used a crappy bow and took off all my elemental damage boosts. Killed 2 different Drowned monsters. 40 RoAs for the first, 35 RoAs for the second due to crits. Result: All 75 RoAs dealt damage.

Definitely have a similar experience. I even have additional accuracy attached to my frenzy, and i still notice a lot of misses with frenzy, while i never see a proper miss with roa.
I assumed that was on purpose, and is imo the only reason the skill isnt the worst skill in the game right now.
Curious. I tried a couple days back and I did not have a 100% hit rate against monsters in the Broken Bridge. Just now, I can't miss.
In between these tests, I only swapped around some rings and my amulet. With the old set, I have zero damage bonuses from gear; the new set has some Elemental and Physical damage bonuses.
Switch back to the old set of rings/amulet, and I miss occasionally.

So I fucked around with gear a bit. The way I experienced this:
-Added Elemental damage from jewelry makes Rain of Arrows always hit
-Added Physical damage from jewelry does not prevent misses
-Quivers do not seem to cause always-hits behaviour? I didn't have a decent-damage quiver to test with, though.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Curious. I tried a couple days back and I did not have a 100% hit rate against monsters in the Broken Bridge. Just now, I can't miss.
In between these tests, I only swapped around some rings and my amulet. With the old set, I have zero damage bonuses from gear; the new set has some Elemental and Physical damage bonuses.
Switch back to the old set of rings/amulet, and I miss occasionally.

So I fucked around with gear a bit. The way I experienced this:
-Added Elemental damage from jewelry makes Rain of Arrows always hit
-Added Physical damage from jewelry does not prevent misses
-Quivers do not seem to cause always-hits behaviour? I didn't have a decent-damage quiver to test with, though.

Im using blackgleam, and i cant seem to miss.
Sometimes a roa wont damage something, but i think thats more of a desynch issue than having rolled a miss, because with such low amount of chance to hit i should see misses a lot more.
I target my attack at an enemy, but he isnt actually there, so i dont get a hit.
Sometimes the game will then resynch and show me the real position of the enemy (and he is somewhere completely else).

Anyways, as i already said, i thought this always hit mechanic was on purpose and personally i think thats the only reason the skill is even remotely viable.
It deals less damage than other similar ranged attacks and has a drawback on top of that with the attack being delayed, but since it always hits, you dont have to get accuracy and can get somewhat closer to the efficiency of other ranged attack skills.
It makes the skill somewhat unique in that sense, since you can itemize around its uniqueness to make it viable, which is always a great feature for skills to have.

edit:
Just tested taking all of the elemental dmg off from my gear (rings, amulets, blackgleam, added fire dmg support) and i still cant miss.
I think what you may have experienced a few days ago was the "desynch misses", which is happening a lot if you have a very small radius with RoA.
If the enemy has even a slight desynch, a small RoA radius can miss rather easily.
With my huge lvl 19 roa (and several passives that increase radius) it is almost impossible to miss a single target, even if he has some serious desynch issues (except if he is in another room than on your client side).

I still think this is on purpose though, and even if it isnt, GGG should consider making it a feature.
I played several high level characters with all kinds of skills, and roa definitely seemed to be the weakest (with similar gear) but then i noticed i couldnt miss, so i took out all accuracy (from gear and passives) and exchanged that for additional damage.
Doing this, i was able to make roa compete with other skills when it comes to ultra late end game (level 75+ maps), but even with that mechanic in mind and building my character around it, roa still isnt a lightning arrow. Maybe lightning arrow is just OP though.
Last edited by gh0un on Mar 6, 2013, 4:59:36 AM
"
gh0un wrote:
I think what you may have experienced a few days ago was the "desynch misses", which is happening a lot if you have a very small radius with RoA.

My method of testing prevents desynch being an issue; I single out one enemy (a bandit, bear or rock construct, in this case), and stand in melee range. Neither party moves at all during testing; the enemy simply can't move out of the AoE when firing.

And yes, Lightning Arrow is still simply a tad overpowered :P It hits up to four enemies per hit for practically no Mana, but at 70% damage admittedly. LA also has the best Elemental conversion (Shock is also ridiculously powerful), and benefits from all those tasty Projectile Support gems. Blarg.
I am fairly happy with RoA + WED + Conc effect + Increased area right now. 2.3k dps with my crappy gears, and only 31% projectile dmg/40% elemental dmg in passives.
The problem with RoA shooting and missing the landing, could be due desync in combination with shooting and holding the button while crossing impassible/blocked terrain. You still see the animation but not the landing. As for mana consumtion, I'm not sure if it's still used.

/me edit

What I also ment is that it happens when you hover above really small blocking objects in open terrains. This could be the 'annoying' part people encounter when using RoA.
Last edited by tr4nznrg on Mar 21, 2013, 2:58:26 AM
this spell is ok but, plz dat yellow colour and duration of arrows at ground is to long. my buddies flame me coze screen is yellow when dey play with me :( dey didnt see mobs... change colour mb moar transparent and duration when arrows impact is too long (with faster attack + mass attack speed ) its rly mess thx . sry for bad english :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info