unique items *no longer updated*

"
Sheriff_K wrote:
]It does have a drawback. Having to link all your Utility Skills with Blood Magic. And Axe passives are more out of the way than Sword ones, so you're not really gaining or losing any passives by not getting the Blood Magic Passive.

so i have to put blood magic on my enfeeble/temp chains/insert curse here and enduring cry if its used (of course it is, melee can't play without it), who cares.

there are no other utility skills used by melee. leap slam is a melee attack, so is shield charge, so is cleave and lightning strike and cyclone and flicker strike. there aren't any other melee attacks that are difficult to use due to mana cost, and this lets you completely ignore all mana nodes and essentially gives you a free gem slot if you were one of the people who had to use mana leech.

oh and it does more damage than most endgame rares (not all, but most) in addition to all of that, and provides a massive amount of defense as everything you hit will be chilled for the maximum duration, might as well put elemental prolif on there and just chill entire screens at once.

"
Sheriff_K wrote:
]As for the Belt, aside from the Chill/Freeze, which you can easily use a Dream Fragments for (Though that doesn't protect you from Chill like this Belt does), but the other stats on the Belt are easy to get ON TOP of Resists.

you can't get that much ES on top of resists on any belt. it isn't easy even with the max roll available, and the more important part is, its a unique. there will be MANY of these out there, and very very few endgame ES belts with better stats, let alone those that are actually for sale. its common-ness (yes, this even applies to lioneyes which is a lot more common than other endgame rare bows that are better, primarily because there aren't any) is why it will be so overpowered. can you roll a better rare? maybe, it'd be hard. why not just buy one of these for 1/10th the price instead?

"
Sheriff_K wrote:
]And the Boots, the Supporter who made it wanted to add more drawbacks, but GGG didn't want to as they believe that wouldn't make it balanced correctly. So it isn't op, and was balanced by GGG.

this is the most terrifying thing i've read.

the creator didn't think the boots had enough drawbacks (he was right, btw) and ggg disagreed and let them into the game in their current mindbogglingly overpowered mandatory for all builds that ever use frenzy charges state (while simultaneously buffing low life shavs RF even more, brilliant) because they felt the item wouldn't be strong enough.

i thought ggg had a design concept of not making uniques that are just best in slot and better than everything else like they were in diablo 2. i mean, i remember reading it, but it doesn't seem to be applying here.
"
streelok wrote:

right nowm Arachnid Nest map 71lvl

That image is an optical illusion.. I can't tell if the blade is pointing at me or away O,o
"
Aux wrote:
"
pneuma wrote:
Far from it: their unique upsides reduce or remove the problems that a build using the base item would normally face. CI not having to care about chill/freeze? A fast attacking build not having to worry about mana? Ick.

Characters not having to worry about chill / ground chill? Icetomb
Characters with CI not wanting to be frozen? Dream Fragments
Characters with or without CI not wanting to get stunned? Eye of Chayula
Characters with low-life not wanting to die to chaos damage? Shaveronne's Wrappings
Characters with Righteous Fire not wanting to take as much fire damage? Rise of the Phoenix
Characters that Discharge that don't want the run Enduring Cry? Voll's Devotion

I can keep going, but what you are basically saying that every single one of these items doesn't belong in the game, because it allows a certain spec to do something it normally couldn't which I'm assuming is exactly what you think.

And I'd like to reiterate that I basically insisted on adding a pretty hefty penalty, and was told that it wasn't necessary and would messy up the item.

Isn't it interesting that some of the uniques on your list have severe drawbacks, as far as both stats and penalties are concerned, while others are rock solid or even really good items on top of providing the advantage in question? Particularly the newer, high level ones?
"
Aux wrote:
"
pneuma wrote:
Far from it: their unique upsides reduce or remove the problems that a build using the base item would normally face. CI not having to care about chill/freeze? A fast attacking build not having to worry about mana? Ick.

Characters not having to worry about chill / ground chill? Icetomb
Characters with CI not wanting to be frozen? Dream Fragments
Characters with or without CI not wanting to get stunned? Eye of Chayula
Characters with low-life not wanting to die to chaos damage? Shaveronne's Wrappings
Characters with Righteous Fire not wanting to take as much fire damage? Rise of the Phoenix
Characters that Discharge that don't want the run Enduring Cry? Voll's Devotion

I can keep going, but what you are basically saying that every single one of these items doesn't belong in the game, because it allows a certain spec to do something it normally couldn't which I'm assuming is exactly what you think.

Firstly, please don't ignore my bold. That was the nail upon which I hung that entire argument.

The only thing in that list I have a problem with is Shavronne's Wrappings because it doesn't have a downside. The rest all involve tradeoffs, either explicitly or implicitly by not having key stats comparable to a rare.

I know you're fishing; dying to get me to understand that your unique really is balanced. All I see is power creep through no fault of your own.
Last edited by pneuma on Jul 5, 2013, 9:32:38 PM
"
Jeragi wrote:
is this a new Belt?

That belt is INSANE.

Axe is pretty cool, but 1h axe is probably the worst type of weapon currently.

Chest is garbage since you need to be CI to use it and if you use it as CI you lose a huge amount of ES.
Last edited by Nycro on Jul 5, 2013, 9:37:27 PM
It strikes me as quite odd that you expect a low level unique to be on the same power level as a high level one. No one wants to design a unique that matches the power level of Deodre's Tenure or Hrimsorrow, let's get real. The game is built around making your build strong over time, whether it be with or without the strong uniques. Everyone cries whenever anything better than Araku Tiki get's released insisting that everyone who can yse it will. Hellbringer and Thunderfist immediately come to mind and all the hype was almost immediately squashed.

This will be my last post however, as I would rather be in game killing monsters. In the end, everyone will their opinion as they are entitled to.

edit: clarity
IGN: Aux
Last edited by Aux on Jul 5, 2013, 9:51:09 PM
"
Aux wrote:
It strikes me as quite odd that you expect a high level unique to be on the same power level as a low level one. No one wants to design a unique that matches the power level of Deodre's Tenure or Hrimsorrow, let's get real. The game is built around making your build strong over time, whether it be with or without the strong uniques. Everyone cries whenever anything better than Araku Tiki get's released insisting that everyone who can yse it will. Hellbringer and Thunderfist immediately come to mind and all the hype was almost immediately squashed.

This will be my last post however, as I would rather be in game killing monsters. In the end, everyone will their opinion as they are entitled to.

you're completely right, endgame uniques should be shittier than low level uniques.

wait, thats the opposite of what you were saying? well damn, i guess i read your post wrong.

the problem with endgame uniques being on a higher 'power level' is that endgame uniques can be used FOREVER. you will never replace lioneyes glare because it has a massive upside (can't miss, can still crit, for zero passives) and there aren't any rare bows that compare. you'll never stop using shavronnes because there isn't a better chest in the entire game for anything ever except kaoms for life builds, with shavs you get more than twice the damage of a CI player with less skill points invested into it and wondertraps and all the other low life massive bonuses without any of the whole 'die instantly from chaos' downside that makes such a massive boon difficult to use. did i mention its also got no drawbacks?
the axe, and the belt, have no drawbacks. none. there isn't any reason you wouldn't want to equip them.

there are some uniques that are poorly designed, some that are obviously just there for flavor because nobody in their right mind would use them for ANY build, and then theres these new ones and a surprisingly large amount of the high level ones that are just so stupendously powerful and offer stuff that in some cases can't be gotten from rares (see shavronnes, lioneyes, taryns, volls devo etc) that you absolutely must use them forever.

my favorite uniques are the ones that are tremendously powerful for the right build and mediocre or crappy for others. geofri's baptism is a wonderful unique, it is very good for a 2h physical build that is already going for resolute technique as that removes the downside. bones of ullr really need more movement speed but i'm a mspd junkie so thats probably just my personal taste, they're excellent boots for summoners but you CAN play without them, they're not required, and they're useless for any other build. i want more of these kinds of uniques, and less of the other 3 types that just make me groan every time i see them. this patch just introduced 4 more uniques that made me groan, 3 of which are lioneyes-tier ridiculous and one looks SO cool but is rather poor and won't scale well and is limited to CI only and i'll still want to wear one every so often once it gets its unique art for the sheer awesome factor of its appearance, but it is otherwise a worthless unique like crown of thorns and kaltenhalt and fairgrave's tricorn and kaoms sign and god knows how many other uniques (mostly weapons) that are all worthless with a hint of cool.
"
Aux wrote:
It strikes me as quite odd that you expect a high level unique to be on the same power level as a low level one.
I had never considered level to have anything to do with it. Facebreakers are a "low level" unique. Blackgleam is a "low level" unique. The only difference is between having the player make intelligent choices or opt for big numbers with no downsides.

"
Aux wrote:
No one wants to design a unique that matches the power level of Deodre's Tenure or Hrimsorrow, let's get real.
That's a shame. It's also the source of the power creep.

"
Aux wrote:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and the game suffers all the same. The current style of itemization is exactly what I came to PoE to avoid.
Example of well done unique:

These uniques can be used from the moment you equip them, all the way to end game (with the right build). These uniques rock.

An axe or belt (specifically the axe) that has NO downsides, and can/will be used throughout the entire length of the character should not exist. It's not interesting. It doesn't make you think. It's basically an "I win" item. These should not exist in any shape or form.

Again, it's a shame.

P.S. While the belt is on the REALLY REALLY REALLY strong side (meaning it should have a downside), it's the axe I despise the most.
What's amusing to me is for all the talk of how OP or broken an item is for x or y build, you're still not coming remotely close to the current state of discharge builds.

You could have 15 of those axes strapped to your forehead as a cleaver or you could look like a mummy with those belts wrapping your entire body as a CI wander and yet still a discharger is going to run through the game 100x faster.

So I guess all I'm saying is if you want to complain, there's better things to do it on.
A list of all my builds and guides - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1099189
Twitch.tv/Mathil1 streaming daily

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info