System Requirements for PoE is a joke

"
SL4Y3R wrote:
Why would the devs, of any game, assume you're running an emulator? The min specs, AS THEY ARE LISTED, is what matters.

They wouldn't and and shouldn't... they don't care IF the pixel is being shaded, they just care about its speed of being shaded. That is the point, its not IF it can run but how well it can. That is what minimal specs are, performance requirements. That is why they are listed as that, that hardware was at one point tested and determined to provide an acceptable level of performance in a series of tests (just barely). They then went and added detection methods to block anything below that point during development because that was their target performance level during it.

If it was really just to get it running then they would include swift shader in the application folder to allow those without hardware shaders to run them them in software wrappers at horrid fps rates (depends on cpu speed)... but it isn't. Its about a minimal level of hardware acceleration to get those shaders running at a set level of expected framerates.

edit - the problem we're running into now is that those minimal specs were tested back prior to closed beta, back when there were just the two acts. Since then they added act 3, act 3x, blood rain, the rain in the gardens, shocked ground, fracture mod, burning ground, and a LOT more... they need to rerun those tests to certify what is the new benchmark minimal specs as of the current state of the game.

I just see them as unwilling to do that because they likely won't like what the results would be....

AND to provide an example: I have a really old spare pc with a 2.2ghz p4 and a 256mb PCI (not pcie) card that can boot the game and run most of it at 28-33fps. It is well below the posted minimal specs but can boot the game and run most of it fine... however at the time of testing their minimal posted requirements it would not be able to provide the fps needed on vaal to consider it playable, thus its below minimal requirements (both mine and yours). So if minimal requires are as you say (just to boot the game up) then this system would not be able to do so because its that far below the minimal specs (and it wouldn't run any areas at 33 fps).
Last edited by Jiero on Mar 23, 2014, 2:41:18 PM
POINTLESS DISCUSSION.

Everybody with common IT sense knows that a tested system with those minimal specs does not give you any guarantees as there are too many factors to take into account, many of them cannot be predicted in advance (like end user environment etc etc).

And those minimal specs shouldn't guarantee anything because nobody knows what "minimal" exactly means and there is no law for it either.

So minimal only means that it's likely you can start and play the game with a system that meets those specs, assuming that you don't run into technical problems and knowing that the word "play" is undefined.

WIKIPEDIA:
"

System requirements

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

To be used efficiently, all computer software needs certain hardware components or other software resources to be present on a computer.[1] These prerequisites are known as (computer) system requirements and are often used as a guideline as opposed to an absolute rule.

Last edited by Startkabels on Mar 23, 2014, 12:54:45 PM
"
Jiero wrote:
I said minimal requirements is not a matter of simply starting up the game and is a matter of perfomance (fps)* ...

You basically said, this gpu has acceptable performance and thus meets minimal requirements... somehow making me wrong in saying that a card needs to have decent performance to be considered minimal requirements? You do know that is exactly what I said, which is why you used the word playable instead of saying it will simply start the game up.

If a game is playable on a dated midrange APU that is roughly equivalent to the minimum system requirements (and it is), then to say "system requirements for PoE are a joke" is itself a joke.

The minimum system requirements for this game are fine. The optimization of this game for high end rigs is not. Those are two different issues, and yourself and OP/this topic are confusing them.
The 352nd character to hit Level 100 in Standard
The 82nd character to hit Delve 1000 in Standard
Last edited by tackle70 on Mar 23, 2014, 2:58:09 PM
"
tackle70 wrote:
"
Jiero wrote:
I said minimal requirements is not a matter of simply starting up the game and is a matter of perfomance (fps)* ...

You basically said, this gpu has acceptable performance and thus meets minimal requirements... somehow making me wrong in saying that a card needs to have decent performance to be considered minimal requirements? You do know that is exactly what I said, which is why you used the word playable instead of saying it will simply start the game up.

If a game is playable on a dated midrange APU that is roughly equivalent to the minimum system requirements (and it is), then to say "system requirements for PoE are a joke" is itself a joke.

The minimum system requirements for this game are fine. The optimization of this game for high end rigs is not. Those are two different issues, and yourself and OP/this topic are confusing them.

That wasn't what I was talking about in that quote. I was stating to those that said minimal requirements being the bare minimal just to just start the game (and had nothing to do with fps) that it wasn't. And that is why I provided an example of this pc running the game at 33fps at times.

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=1399&game=Path+of+Exile&p_make=Intel&p_deriv=Pentium+4+2.20GHz&gc_make=Nvidia&gc_deriv=GeForce+6200&ram=2&checkSubmit=#systemRequirements

Both cpu and gpu are well below what the minimal specs are, yet the game boots and runs most areas at 20+ fps when solo. As soon at its gets to vaal it drops drop to like 4fps (and with render ahead its still sorta playable). CPU is considered half of what the game needs at posted minimal specs and gpu is a quarter of the minimal requirements.

So yes, minimal specs are not bare minimal as to just start the game... but they are also no longer relevant with everything that has been added to the game since they were posted and they need re-evaluated per the current state of the game.

That pc could run the game in closed beta perfectly fine... now take it into the game as it currently is and it won't be playable anymore. The gardens alone would be hell on it...

edit - in other words minimal requirements are simple issues of numbers, such as the fill rate of your gpu or its memory bandwidth. You monitor the game for its resource usage and then set the minimal requirements to hardware that can meet those numbers and add on a little cushion to maintain fps rates at what is considered standard for gameplay quality.
Last edited by Jiero on Mar 23, 2014, 3:32:23 PM
That's right, they take examples from a predefined system that meets those core specifications.
However a system is a lot more than that, so that doesn't give you any guarantees.

The game is not very optimized though and there are FPS and desync issues with this game, also in me own experience.

I experienced lots of FPS spikes running this game on a dual core E7500 CPU and Ati HD4850 GPU and occasionally desync.

Now on i5, AMD R9 290
Last edited by Startkabels on Mar 23, 2014, 4:24:08 PM
I agree with OP on this one. The recommended requirements should be close to the top end specs.
I guess, I shouldn't even bother to try and play PoE on a laptop with i3, 6 gigs of ram and Intel HD 4000 :(
"
TankJr wrote:
I guess, I shouldn't even bother to try and play PoE on a laptop with i3, 6 gigs of ram and Intel HD 4000 :(

I have an older desktop that has a intel 4k hd built in (replaced with a newer pcie card but still) and it really runs this game horridly (runs other stuff just fine...). Solo in most areas (IE no rain, elemental ground, corrupted areas or any of the other known trouble areas) I get 30-40 fps but add a team or a few of the known fps killers and it tanks to the single to low double digit fps rates... add both it it tanks below 1 fps at times. And since the mobile intel hd 4k is slightly worse then the desktop one, I'd be wary of even trying it with the new changes to some starter areas bosses that look to be utter framerate killers (and the corrupted areas will kill that card anyway). And chances are you'll either run into frame rate killers often enough or end up using places that have them as your

Cpu wise and ram wise, you'll be perfectly fine but that hard drive read speed and the gpu pretty much will make this unplayable for you.

Sorry but ya, that laptop wouldn't be an enjoyable experience with this game at all. Stuttering low fps rate + desync + one shot kills + disconnects due to low fps rate will make this more painful then fun.

edit : also I would ignore the minimal specs on places on gamedebate as they haven't been accurate since beta... pretty much now the recommended specs there are closer to the new minimal specs and even then just barely anymore and likely even the recommended specs there will be below minimal with the new additions coming out.
Last edited by Jiero on Aug 14, 2014, 2:19:49 PM
even tho i have a amd 6core thats water cooled with 32 gig ddr3 ram windows 10 and 12tb worth of ssd i cant run partys with more than 3 people running discharge builds it littarlly bogs down hardcore i have old gpu by most standards its a msi radeon 4890 but still thats pretty op in comparisson to a majority of the gpus in laptops BTW this game is mot suited for a laptop unless youi have some serious gpu power and a really good processor cooler
I'm using a Q9550 quad core @ 2.83 ghz and a 6790 radeon HD card.

My processor runs fine it won't even get above 60%.

But I have some drops with some effects. I play with shadows off and AA x2 or x4 (not sure, I don't even notice anti aliasing). I play at 1920 * 1080.

I still have frequent drops, especially on some effects. For example if I cast one ice crash I have no drops but if I do them very fast 3 times in a row it causes a frame drop to 45ish from 60 with vsync on (60hz monitor).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info