Contents of the 0.11.3 patch

Stop dying?
"
Stop dying?

Stop server desync?
Good luck!
So.. One more new skill..
What about more skills?
I originally posted the following in the Death Penalty Changes in 0.11.3 thread. Considering it is has ballooned to 77 pages, I'm not sure whether this post will be seen by GGG, so I'm adding it here for more exposure.

GGG, have you considered flipping the penalty into a positive?

You would remove the experience penalty entirely, and instead give a stacking XP buff. As you kill monsters, you receive a buff that grants +5% Increased Experience Gain and stacks up to three times, for a total of +15%. On death, all stacks are lost.

This means you never lose anything you have earned, but technically lose out on all that bonus experience while working toward regaining the full buff. The end result would be the same as the current death penalty if all monster XP was reduced by 15% across the board. Psychologically speaking, though, you wouldn't feel nearly as bad after you die.

The major mechanical difference is that dying repeatedly won't penalize you any further. Characters who are struggling can still progress, just at a slower pace. Playing well remains paramount for optimal efficiency, however.

-----

How about wrapping it up as a choice?

Blessing of Death
Again, you would remove the XP penalty completely, and a town NPC would offer a semi-permanent buff: You gain +10% bonus experience, and lose 20% experience on death.

The NPC could also cast a counter-hex on you that would remove the buff when you level or die. This would be to minimize any possible exploits, so you cannot turn the buff on/off without 'earning' it.

This system would turn a frustration into a choice. When those who take the buff die, they have only themselves to blame. It makes the loss of XP easier to accept, in much the same way as you accept, however grudgingly, the permanent loss of your character in a hardcore league -- because you had a choice.

Here is the original thread for this idea.

-----

Attrition and Bad Builds
I am glad to hear your reasoning for the XP penalty, GGG. Thank you, as it gives a foundation to base argumentation on.

"
Chris wrote:
The main reason for having a death penalty is so that players aren't able to attrition their way through every fight. We're okay with the strategy of throwing yourself at a boss several times if it's a little too hard for you (which allows us to have pretty challenging mandatory boss fights), but there needs to be a penalty so that this doesn't become a dominant strategy.

If a player hits a wall in their progression, what options do they have? They cannot conjure better gear out of thin air, reworking their passive tree is intentionally limited, and farming easier zones rewards less and less XP. No matter what they try against, say, Piety, a character like a Summoner will find their army repeatedly decimated. What can they do besides whittle her down through attrition?

Join a party? What else? What tools has GGG given players to overcome challenges beyond attrition? You don't want it to be a "dominant strategy", but what if it's the only strategy?

Is the game trying to motive those players to quit? Maybe it should pop up with this message after losing an entire bar of experience, to drive the point home: "You made a bad character, noob! Start over or GTFO!"

"
Chris wrote:
We (and many of our more hardcore players) are worried that a lower death penalty may reduce the importance of building characters correctly and playing carefully. However, there are hardcore leagues for players who want deaths to be extremely meaningful. The new values do still strongly discourage dying.

You don't have to use direct negative reinforcement to still emphasize the importance of well-built characters. Everyone intrinsically wants to kick ass and gain as much loot and XP as efficiently as possible. Achieving this is a reward unto itself. My above idea of a stacking buff that is lost on death reinforces the value of strong, survivable builds, but without severely penalizing less knowledgeable players who made one or more mistakes along the way.

As it stands right now, the XP penalty does not truly stop attrition. I can farm up a level before hitting a challenging boss, and attrition the f*ck out of it (because I can't drop levels at 0% XP). Later on in my career, when I'm farming casually in the 80s-90s and it has taken two hours to go up a single bar, and a Reflect pack with Added Damage crits on me the moment after I am cursed and I insta-die, well, that really has nothing to do with attrition, but I just paid the price of 6 hours for a mechanic that wasn't even intended for my situation.
"
Aux wrote:
So nice guys!

Very nice avatar picture, i am jelly.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
I think I proposed this somewhere: remove XP penalty, make gear degrade with use, and special degrade with death. Fix the damn economy if you will let items from HC slip into SC all the time. New players don't trade (at least for a period of time until they decide if they stay in PoE or not), older players don't need stuff. Don't make stuff degrade in HC leagues, just SC leagues.
yea, I know it like in D3. But that's one of the good things you can actually learn from D3.
"Path of Exile be a online Action RPG set up in tha dark fantasy ghetto of Wraeclast. Well shiiiit..."
- Uzicorn, for teh children.
"
Xentec6 wrote:
Im a child because i play softcore?

Lets see, STRESSFUL job, actually dealing with self righteous, self centered people....hint hint.

Id really love to see these hipster kripp-tool BOI's in real life, id love to see how they function and get by. Who tolerates these people? They act like they're so good but they all MAP HACK and bot, that moron gankstaboo SLIPPED and actually revealed he map hacks...well his party does....pathetic under your l33t skilled fa-sad you are just kiddies that download your tools from ownedcore lol.

Your phat l3wtz and lvl 95 on hardcore translates to NOTHING in real life, so why act like you are on some special level? The internet has created these detached people that no longer see a difference between real and digital, sad and one day your tattooed covered hipster ass will have to get real and at that point it's gonna suck, you cant deliver pizzas for the rest of your life kids.

Your Starbucks obama liberal utopia is a lie and aint gonna be here forever either.

EDIT: GGG is acting like a chicken with its head cut off, wasting time on worthless shit, and adding a new skill with so much broken crap out there now...they have lost focus.

well, that post ended a disskussion that never really started...

I would say Kripp would function quite nicely, and I don't care about hcks or whatnot. It is just a game and they are the "proplayers", so they need to be good at it, so they use every tool they are able to. As long a GGG does not prevent it...
"
Xentec6 wrote:
Im a child because i play softcore?

Lets see, STRESSFUL job, actually dealing with self righteous, self centered people....hint hint.

Id really love to see these hipster kripp-tool BOI's in real life, id love to see how they function and get by. Who tolerates these people? They act like they're so good but they all MAP HACK and bot, that moron gankstaboo SLIPPED and actually revealed he map hacks...well his party does....pathetic under your l33t skilled fa-sad you are just kiddies that download your tools from ownedcore lol.

Your phat l3wtz and lvl 95 on hardcore translates to NOTHING in real life, so why act like you are on some special level? The internet has created these detached people that no longer see a difference between real and digital, sad and one day your tattooed covered hipster ass will have to get real and at that point it's gonna suck, you cant deliver pizzas for the rest of your life kids.

Your Starbucks obama liberal utopia is a lie and aint gonna be here forever either.

EDIT: GGG is acting like a chicken with its head cut off, wasting time on worthless shit, and adding a new skill with so much broken crap out there now...they have lost focus.

LOL By far the best comment on this forum EVER !
"
Xentec6 wrote:

if its not gonna be here forever, it exists. if it´s a lie, it doesn´t....
"
Ludak021 wrote:
I think I proposed this somewhere: remove XP penalty, make gear degrade with use, and special degrade with death. Fix the damn economy if you will let items from HC slip into SC all the time. New players don't trade (at least for a period of time until they decide if they stay in PoE or not), older players don't need stuff. Don't make stuff degrade in HC leagues, just SC leagues.
yea, I know it like in D3. But that's one of the good things you can actually learn from D3.

the issue with degrading is once you are broke and all of your gear is busted it's pretty much re-roll time, unless you have multiple characters and farm for mats to repair your main--ewww.

I'm a softcore player, and I love the xp penalty. The drop in penalty is fine. I was a little disappointed at the initial numbers, but I feel 5/10 is just perfect.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info