Retaliation just saved Melee MEGA BIG TIME

You still have to - A: Know it's active and B: Press the button in the window of time its active.

So you have to always be looking at your skill bar and not the mobs - no thanks.

Lame design.
"
superbomb1967 wrote:
You still have to - A: Know it's active and B: Press the button in the window of time its active.

So you have to always be looking at your skill bar and not the mobs - no thanks.

Lame design.

Huh didn't it say there is an icon above your head if a retaliation skill is ready to use?

"
Mechanics

While a Retaliation skill is Usable, an icon will appear over your character's head to show that skill can be used.

found it on poewiki
you cant exert retaliation skills so they are bad you can get earthsatter do same ammount of dmg as retaliation skills
What they were going for, in my opinion and speculation, is to give us new juicy skills that are meant to entice you to build for Block, with Block being a defensive stat that allows you to close the gap between you and the enemy.

That still doesn't fix how the game in general is too fast, and I'm not talking about gameplay speed. Monsters move fast, attack fast, there's lots of Area of Denial stuff going on, etc. You are always on the move. You cannot really go AFK for a few seconds anywhere.

If you've ever been chunked/killed by a pack of tentacle dudes in Act 4 all attacking you at the same time, you know exactly what I'm talking about. GGG fixed Devourers and Leap Frogs all dumping on you simultaneously, among other ones, for that very reason, but there are still plenty of instances where this is not the case.

Thus, you will always have a major advantage by keeping your distance. As long as they don't introduce distance scaling, it will never not be.

Buffing melee damage is not the answer. While nice, it's not gonna solve the problem.
The retaliation skills are dog poop. If you are exerting a 6L ground slam and doing that much damage, then the boss is going to be dead before it has a chance to attack you with something that can be potentially blocked. You just wasted a 6L and several retaliation skill passives on a skill you didn't have a chance to use because you never met the condition to use it before the fight ended.

If everything else about this update wasn't so amazing and people weren't high on hype, there would likely be some serious complaining about how dumb the concept of retaliation skills are. They had a niche use before as a "passive" way to proc certain thing, and that was removed and replaced by just another button to press, except with a conditional requirement and cooldown that make it completely impractical in nearly all gameplay situations.
"
The retaliation skills are dog poop. If you are exerting a 6L ground slam and doing that much damage, then the boss is going to be dead before it has a chance to attack you with something that can be potentially blocked. You just wasted a 6L and several retaliation skill passives on a skill you didn't have a chance to use because you never met the condition to use it before the fight ended.

If everything else about this update wasn't so amazing and people weren't high on hype, there would likely be some serious complaining about how dumb the concept of retaliation skills are. They had a niche use before as a "passive" way to proc certain thing, and that was removed and replaced by just another button to press, except with a conditional requirement and cooldown that make it completely impractical in nearly all gameplay situations.

Not to really knock the dev's decisions because I love this game and have played it for a long time but I really wish they would take a page out of the OSRS Dev Team playbook and poll the community on upcoming changes. Not like, ask the community what changes to make but what the community thinks about changes they're working on or thinking about working on. Just multiple question style polls about your opinion on the devs doing whatever thing so they don't have to read 10,000 essays. There would still be a little division, but even so making the community feel involved in the changes that way to me is better than now: everyone outraging on reddit praying their fervent rage-fueled posts make it to the patch notes. This isn't really a dig at GGG in particular, I wish all video game developers with devoted communities could/would do this.
Last edited by Saf3tyhazard on Jul 24, 2024, 9:14:49 PM
I love how when something is functional and fun, people call it "OP", and "imbalanced".

Are PoE fan boys just naturally masochistic?
Didn’t any influencer make a build around hitting yourself with the new notable that activates retaliation skills with being hit instead? Just asking for a friend who is too lazy to make a good eye of innocence retaliation burn build. If someone did plz sauce
I'm a forum warrior, i was born to post, raised to defend my league. Now my post has been removed, chained and exiled by mods who Ban. Ban is my brother; i do not fear it. I see it in the eyes of men and beasts that i troll. It will take me to play the actual game when i am ready and i am not ready.
"
Pyrokar wrote:
Didn’t any influencer make a build around hitting yourself with the new notable that activates retaliation skills with being hit instead? Just asking for a friend who is too lazy to make a good eye of innocence retaliation burn build. If someone did plz sauce

if not wrong we could do that with hiltless (stop hitting yourself)

there's also scold's birdle which was used to make CWDT builds.

in anycase i feel too slot starved to bother
[Removed by Support]
"
I love how when something is functional and fun, people call it "OP", and "imbalanced".

Are PoE fan boys just naturally masochistic?

When people say that "GGG nerfed it because fun was detected" doesn't mean that they're upset that something lost it's functionality - the functionality almost never changes, but the power does. It means that they're angry that a thing which trivialized the game does not exist anymore.

Having enemies die without a fight is in it's actuality a less fun and functional journey than having meaningful fights with risk and growth.
Uploaded an awesome Exsanguinate Freeze Explosion build on the forums - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3508506

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info