Frametimes & multithreading 3.21.2 => 3.22 => 3.23

Its impressive how you manage to make client work worse and worse with each patch.

So 3.23 - horrible loading times, textures/3D models failing to load, even less fps in maps. GJ.
For the multi-threading extreme stutter bug...what made my game a little bit more playable were these steps.

I play on dx12, I go to in-game options and change to dx11....it will ask you to restart game so go ahead and restart...once back in town for a few seconds change it back to dx12. These steps for me anyway took some of the edge away from stuttering gameplay.

This will be another league for me spending more time trying to fix a problem than playing the game. I used to have perfect performance pre particle patch.

Having the same issues. With Vulkan and D12 I get random spikes of 19GB memory usage (from 7GB) and the game crashes. And D11 uses like 90% of CPU all the time with multithreading ON.
Same for me and my son. massive lag spikes. we just keep creating new area till we get a area without lag, takes around 5-10 trys to fix it.
Bump for 3.23 continued performance issues.

GPU: AMD 7900 XTX (Graphics Driver Stock Radeon v23.12.1 - Latest update as of this post)
CPU: AMD 7800X3D

Graphics Settings: All set to lowest (favoring performance)
Networking Mode: Predictive
Renderer: DX12 (Beta)

(If any other specs are needed let me know)

Here's a screenshot of the metrics when shield charging around my Hideout

It's the stuttering that are making this completely unplayable.

edit:

Here's after swapping to Vulkan (it feels very very slightly better. Still very sub-optimal..

edit 2: fixed (for now)

what i needed to do was a complete re-install of the game, and now it seems to have fixed the stuttering.

i used the (un)installer as well as a tool to remove all poe related files that could potentially linger post-uninstall. after that i restarted my machine and ran the installer and re-installed the game to my new drive (this last bit probably doesn't matter too much)

(this is using the default renderer - dx11)

edit 3: back to square 1 after being in game for 15 minutes :(

didn't change any settings since edit 2. i'm sad that nothing seems to be able to fix this at all

edit 4:

Seems the issue went away after seemingly just playing the game more and letting the shaders recompile (?) after about a night of playtime. My second session was a lot smoother. It sucks cuz it really does feel unplayable for hours on end but it does feel better on the subsequent playthroughs.
Last edited by ClumsyParasite on Dec 21, 2023, 9:45:49 AM
EDIT:

Since yesterday I am able to play. Thank you very much for all the effort you are putting in.

I did not change anything, reinstalled the game.

Allow me to apologize also for the tone in the post, also. After switching computer (not only cause poe), trying and trying different things and having same problems .. was not happy because I also said that at least for me this is the best RPG as of now.

Deleted the original content as I am nowhere proud of part of it.
Last edited by Lonesong on Dec 24, 2023, 11:32:37 AM
Another find i did discover today is that changing interrupt policy for the GPU help with this engine bug to offload some of the stress on CPU 0 so try changing the interrupt policy for the GPU to the (last core usually the best, CPU 0, 2, 4, 6 and so are the cores, don't put on threads)

here is a in-depth guide

(Warning if you have no idea of any of this don't do it. read and research first before anything)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGDRL87tg5s
Last edited by Ramymn on Dec 24, 2023, 9:27:30 PM
This issue still persist in the latest patch on older CPU's the workaround still works, the idea of it is that you have to get your CPU to work at a certain threshold with any background load not too much that it would take a performance hit but once this load is met the game engine behave like normal without frametime spikes.

Other feedback Dx12 is performing very good and it doesn't drop FPS as much as the other renderers when fighting a lot of monsters but still the FPS drops happens when things gets too much.

Keep up the good work!
Last edited by Ramymn on Mar 12, 2024, 6:53:23 PM
So, seems like this is now a forever state of the game. GGG either don't care about this problem and affected players or simply can't resovle it for months. Maybe both, as one doesn't exclude another.

I did some testing of the new League in 3.24 (which by itself is by far the worst league ever on par with Talisman and Synthesis), and while I can say there is a bit improved perfomance to loading zone time and FPS (not by much though, it just came back to old "normal" level), Engine Multi-threading is still bugged and forces you to run something on background (like Twitch or Youtube video) to keep your cores busy. Or manipulate your C-states which 99% of the players won't do ever (especially for just ONE old game). Otherwise it's just constant spikes/freezes.

Again, GGG created a problem for a lot of players and now they just refuse to solve it. It reminds me of the Blight tower bug (crashing your game to desktop when you try to click on a tower), which was present for like 4-5 years(!!!) in the game since Blight release, and was randomly solved few leagues ago with no mention in patch notes.

You could say - just buy 5000$ PC with top components (for an 11 years old game btw), but the problem is - while the bug mostly affects older gen CPUs, I've read quite a lot of posts from different people with very strong PC rigs across various forums over these months, and they have this exact problem too, so this would probably not solve the issue 100% for everybody.

It's a problem that never existed until 3.21.2 Crucible patch, and now thousands of players have to suffer seems like forever and beyond. That's just sad.
Bump.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info