After playing the demos today - PoE2 makes combat a lot more fun

"
Reinhart wrote:

Personally I don't think the characters movement are too slow but it is very tiresome to watch a streamer whack at a rare mob for 3 minutes.

You can't make promotional footage any other way, I realise it means you can't get a good judgement yourself from said footage but it just isn't possible unless your margins for combat are tiny.

Even games with very tight stats like Dark Souls look stupid when played in an optimised way instead of a promotional way. Its a showcase, and that means the setup and animations have to be displayed too.

If you had a showcase of me doing Act1 everyone would meme about how fucking dumb the game looked lmao. Basically you'd have to play it and optimise to find out what the pacing is really like, rares might die in 1-3 hits still.
"
Draegnarrr wrote:
"
Reinhart wrote:

Personally I don't think the characters movement are too slow but it is very tiresome to watch a streamer whack at a rare mob for 3 minutes.

You can't make promotional footage any other way, I realise it means you can't get a good judgement yourself from said footage but it just isn't possible unless your margins for combat are tiny.

Strange then how come this 2019 promotional video looks much better than the current version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBQAqgoJySE

Heart of Purity

Awarded 'Silverblade' to Talent Competition Winner 2020.
POE turned into a ratrace for the most div/hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFO4E5OKSE
But Im now sad that POE1 will be left with horrible close combat. With people now saying "Just play POE1" and then people saying "Just play POE2".

Great times ahead for feedback and any kind of discussion.
"
Reinhart wrote:
"
Draegnarrr wrote:
"
Reinhart wrote:

Strange then how come this 2019 promotional video looks much better than the current version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBQAqgoJySE

Because POE2 is its own game now. So they can slow it right down and not effect POE1 moving forward.
-
Last edited by BluValk on Dec 8, 2023, 7:30:06 AM
So finally maybe it will have a really nice gameplay and not just zoom click zoom click zoom click

And for those who like outdated zoom, they will have poe 1

Poe 2 may have a rough start generally a lot of people will criticize them but really a good player and one who really likes this game should be happy he gets 2 games for the price of 1
gosh people are exaggerating with 10min boss fights. it was 3min for the 1st one with the monk and 2min with the 2nd one with monk + sorc. and that was with the scuffed builds and not 100% best skill.

as much as i enjoy poe1, it suffered from a lack meaningful action combat. there are 3 main complaints i had when trying to recruit friends into poe:
1. its too complicated
2. graphics were aging
3. combat was boring as shit

what made poe1 great is not the zoom zoom. it was the incredibly deep and unique systems to build a character and the ways to do it in the endgame. the zoom zoom only feels great because its the only way to make the dogshit combat release any dopamine.

its clear to me what poe2 is. its to make a another poe game that builds on poe1's strengths, while improving QoL to combat its complicated systems, competitive graphics + animations, and most importantly... make combat fun by adding mechanical depth.

and heres the important part... its all in attempt to GROW the path of exile brand by making it more appealing for more gamer types. cause lets face it. doesnt matter if you are whining now, ya still gonna download that poe2 client and try it out no matter how salty you are (its a tale as old as time).

its a smart move to split it in retrospect. everyone will try it out and if you truly dont like the changes when you get your paws on it. you still have the original to play with your hearts content.

- - - - - - - -

OP im happy to hear the feedback from someone who got to play the demo. tho i really think rare mobs should be easier to kill by at least 25% - 50% and modifiers like life regen be completely removed. i get that they want combat to feel juicy at all times, but it only really needs to exist in its best form during boss fights.
"
BluValk wrote:
"
PoE2 is slower so far - but it makes the combat(especially in boss fights) dynamic, challenging, and fun.

Ok, but who`s playing POE for that?

Me, for one. Did you play PoE back in open beta or 1.0? The game was much different than now and I'm glad PoE 2 will be going that direction and doing it much better than before. If you want to blow up mobs the second you see them you can continue to play PoE 1 or even go play D3.
I know that they slowed gameplay to show us skill effects etc. but God this looks painfull. Mathil stunlocked for 5 sec, Preach fighting immortal rare mob, Ziz getting interrupted all the time. They need to show us how it plays in endgame or Poe2 will get the same backlash as D4. Slower for sake of being more tedious and not fun.
Let's face it Poe 1 got so fast not on accident, players wanted to go fast so game got faster and faster. There is a reason why rampage and HH are so popular during maping. If you are fast then you get even faster and you ramp up to the point of finishing 1 map a minute. This is what most of players want and what pushed Poe in front of other hack and slash games.
Dodges and slow metodical gameplay is good in Souls games, but those games award you for avoiding mobs and only killing bosses. H'n's games demand you kill as many mobs as fast you can.
"
Shini wrote:
I know that they slowed gameplay to show us skill effects etc. but God this looks painfull. Mathil stunlocked for 5 sec, Preach fighting immortal rare mob, Ziz getting interrupted all the time. They need to show us how it plays in endgame or Poe2 will get the same backlash as D4. Slower for sake of being more tedious and not fun.
Let's face it Poe 1 got so fast not on accident, players wanted to go fast so game got faster and faster. There is a reason why rampage and HH are so popular during maping. If you are fast then you get even faster and you ramp up to the point of finishing 1 map a minute. This is what most of players want and what pushed Poe in front of other hack and slash games.
Dodges and slow metodical gameplay is good in Souls games, but those games award you for avoiding mobs and only killing bosses. H'n's games demand you kill as many mobs as fast you can.

Hmmm that's why poe 1 will be separated from poe 2 but I'm sure that the later gamplay will be faster than the ones in the video they presented and you know why? people who start playing poe 2 and after a while start to understand how best to scale dmg, this speeds up this endgame. A lot will depend on how the game is developed later, Poe 1 is so fast because they added so many mechanics to it and they wanted to hide how poe 1 was clumsy at first and they succeeded

Now they want to show us that maybe something more can be done...

You just have to give them a chance, I think you might be surprised how much fun you can have with it

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info