I've got a theory -- GGG is trying to get rid of most of us.

"
Gulch wrote:
"
Baharoth15 wrote:
GGG is trying to get rid of most of us.

They aren't actively trying to get rid of the players, they just don't care if half of them quit.

CW has definitely said that they fully expect people to try the game and not like it. That's the F2P model. Understandable. Percentage conversions with retention and monetization rates. All based on the volumes of players that F2P models generate.

The main issue as I see it is that GGG is caught in a pickle. They want the casual money from a wider scope of players, but in reality they don't want to design or develop the game around them... like at all. It creates this dilemma of revenue over philosophy. It's become more prevalent imo since CW & some founders cashed out. Now they want the game more like what they envisioned many years ago (IE Ruthless), but dont want to shrink the company scope. *Tencent might have say in that as well.

One of the consequences of this problem is the community and player divide. GGG has gone mostly silent, and when they do communicate, it's mishandled, or disseminated poorly. Like saying this league didn't have many nerfs, or they kept the 6 best masteries for example. Just poor optics and hurts their credibility. It's a self inflicted wound, and they fact they don't own that is annoying. They fostered this situation with their own actions.

I know things are all hands on deck for PoE2, but really this development problem is going to carryover. They cannot continue to mass market for casuals (for the money), and then design the game to be actively hostile to that type of player, without expecting friction. It's not that complicated.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Diablo IV has shown that having REAL combat game play is fun.

Path of Exile needs to slow down to get some of that, but there are always idle cookie clicker games for the ZOOMERS.
"
JakeCourtney wrote:
Diablo IV has shown that having REAL combat game play is fun.

Path of Exile needs to slow down to get some of that, but there are always idle cookie clicker games for the ZOOMERS.

The combat can only carry the game so far and for so long. The itemization in D4 is atrocious. Crafting... well that's not great either. Skills are meh and being mana starved after every 2nd attack then having to cast your basic skill 4-5 times to fill back up with mana isn't my idea of fun.
The paragon system is kind of blah and doesn't really offer anything spectacular.
Are they going to make big changes for release? I highly doubt it.
Personally after playing the betas, I can't see myself playing the game for more than a couple of weeks unless they do in fact make some big changes. It's disappointing as I was really looking forward to something special.
What's wrong with you people? They just had the most successful league start ever and at this moment on Steam alone there are 107.500 players online. Add to that the number of people playing the stand alone version and you have a highly successful game!

Stop whining and join the others who are having fun in game!
"
wullack wrote:
What's wrong with you people? They just had the most successful league start ever and at this moment on Steam alone there are 107.500 players online. Add to that the number of people playing the stand alone version and you have a highly successful game!

Stop whining and join the others who are having fun in game!

Sounds strange when you're not playing the league while the people you're complaining about actually are.
Last edited by Xyel on Apr 18, 2023, 4:23:08 PM
I highly doubt they really care either way at this point.

They made their money and are pretty good with a small amount of players. But they also aren't making their game worse simply because they don't want you to play.

You, or we, are not important enough to drive off from the game or keep.
Last edited by trixxar on Apr 18, 2023, 4:24:05 PM
there is a classic adage that applies here .

Never attribute to malice what stupidity can explain.

The people in charge at GGG are no longer the ones that understand the game in any meaningful way.

You can just tell so many changes have that middle manager i had to have my hand in this feel. Gutted breach for example what purpose does it serve?

Anyhow its not a conspiracy its just dumb , ignorant , and lacking in creativity from the people that now control the decisions.
"
Orbaal wrote:
My understanding is, that they are trying to reduce the playerpower and will continue to do so until PoE 2 is launched.
Afterwards they will likely start adding to the playerpower again incrementially just like they did in the past.

Recombs were stronger than Harvest, so was Lake. Crucible has even stronger power creep. If they want to reduce overall player power level, sure they achieved that, but when it comes to medium to high end power creep, they consistently fail to know what the f they are doing.
Ruthless should be [Removed by Support].
Last edited by AdRonZh3Ro on Apr 18, 2023, 5:25:16 PM
"
AdRonZh3Ro wrote:
"
Orbaal wrote:
My understanding is, that they are trying to reduce the playerpower and will continue to do so until PoE 2 is launched.
Afterwards they will likely start adding to the playerpower again incrementially just like they did in the past.

Recombs were stronger than Harvest, so was Lake. Crucible has even stronger power creep. If they want to reduce overall player power level, sure they achieved that, but when it comes to medium to high end power creep, they consistently fail to know what the f they are doing.

Yeah but those didnt go core.

So its just temporary creep that doesnt matter, doesnt need to be balanced or reasonable or anything.
Just throw it out there, let the playerbase have some fun with it and move on.

Thats the point I was trying to make.
Last edited by Orbaal on Apr 18, 2023, 5:40:05 PM
"
Artaniz wrote:
there is a classic adage that applies here .

Never attribute to malice what stupidity can explain.

The people in charge at GGG are no longer the ones that understand the game in any meaningful way.

You can just tell so many changes have that middle manager i had to have my hand in this feel. Gutted breach for example what purpose does it serve?

Anyhow its not a conspiracy its just dumb , ignorant , and lacking in creativity from the people that now control the decisions.
Well, supposedly Chris stepped into league design after everyone complained about Heist, and soon after that was when the game suddenly started going downhill and suddenly hostile to players. Before that it felt like the game was in the hands of people that were probably developing PoE for awhile and weren't as attached to trying to keep the game purist hardcore experience, they just wanted to add more things to it and explore different ideas which is why you would sometimes get weird things like Harvest or Heist.

"
They stopped putting league mechanics into core so whatever powercreep Crucible adds to the top end is pretty much irrelevant to the future of the game unless they decide to prove me wrong.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info