I've got a theory -- GGG is trying to get rid of most of us.

POEs/GGGs problem is that they've made two massive direction changes over the course of it's life time.
The game started as a hardcore game for a niche audience with focus on grindiness and difficulty. GGG then dropped that topic entirely and went full blown powercreep for almost a decade reducing the game to a walking simulator bar any difficulty, this fact brought in a LARGE amount of players, way beyond what their initial target audience was, and those players played this game for years because of what it was, not because of what it was intended to be in the beginning.
Then after 3.13 GGG decided to make a 180 again and go back to where they initially started by nerfing everything and it's mother into the dust over the course of 2 years now.
If they weren't greedy and money driven they could have just openly announced that direction change, made ruthless the new main game and be done with it. But they are human after all so they try to get their vision while keeping as many players who don't want the vision around for as long as possible, hence the "small nerfs bit by bit approach" players have been complaining about for 2 years now.

The result will be a game alienating large parts of it's playerbase for years to come until all the players realise what's going on and draw a line by leaving and the game shrinking itself back to the niche game it was supposed to be early on.
Last edited by Baharoth15 on Apr 18, 2023, 8:33:27 AM
People telling others that should play other games or that they like the current patch should just complete switch to ruthless.

You're not playing an arpg on ruthless. ssf, macrocore, ruthless.. and yet people still playing trade and hate loot or drops and gaslight the fuck out of others that disagree with their views.. hilarious.
"Parade your victories, hide your defeats. Mortals are so insecure."

Once you break the cycle of fear no angels or demons can whisper you their sweet nothing words.

Retired since crucible.(Not a free tester anymore for a multi billion dollar company).
"
Baharoth15 wrote:

Then after 3.13 GGG decided to make a 180 again and go back to where they initially started by nerfing everything and it's mother into the dust over the course of 2 years now.

You forgot to mention why they did it though.
Its not like they didnt try to explain.

In fact they clearly stated in the 3.15 reveal, that the goal as reducing the powercreep significantly, which would in turn allow them to add future powercreep and live up to their vision: A game that can be played for decades to come.

3.15 however did cause a level of outrage that GGG clearly didnt expect and I think they are instead taking babysteps to achieve the initial goal of reducing the powercreep - which is also why the recent leagues didnt go core, if I had to guess.

My understanding is, that they are trying to reduce the playerpower and will continue to do so until PoE 2 is launched.
Afterwards they will likely start adding to the playerpower again incrementially just like they did in the past.

I wouldnt be too worried about the direction the game is taking right now but it will most likely be a bumpy ride for some time to come.
I would be ok with nerfing players because of too much power creep, but buffing mobs because players are too strong is the definition of power creep.
"I'm programmed to say something that is kind and uplifting at this point, but there is apparently an error that is working in my favor."
"
Alternalo wrote:
I would be ok with nerfing players because of too much power creep, but buffing mobs because players are too strong is the definition of power creep.

I see it this way: Some players want to fight monsters, and some just want to steamroll them. I like blowing up crowds of trash mobs as much as the next guy, but I also enjoy an occasional challenge from a tough rare that takes me longer to kill.

And you aren't required to kill every monster you encounter; if the speed bump is too high, move on to the next batch. =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
"
Raycheetah wrote:
occasional challenge from a tough rare that takes me longer to kill.

They added some cool new mechanics on rares recently but it's overshadowed by they only seem more difficult to kill because they have ridiculous hp multiplier or regen, and when they stack damage you can see the best geared players die in a single shot, it's rather lame than engaging.

Old POE had it's boundaries which i miss nowdays, it feels like they went completely off the rail with stacking so many mechanics which they seem to have no control over anymore, and the result is the following:

- They introduce a new mechanic in every new league.
- Some ppl find a way to make a single broken op build based on that.
- In the next patch GGG balances the mobs around this build.
- They nerf the build to oblivion.

And then they repeat this in the next league. You can see that this will never solve their power creep issue, and would've been better solution if they leave the mobs as is (before all the buffs made to them) and only touch player power back to a manageable state, the result would be the same but more consistent pace than we have right now.
"I'm programmed to say something that is kind and uplifting at this point, but there is apparently an error that is working in my favor."
Maybe they want this game to be a 1%-fest, while the masses play POE Mobile instead, where they can push their monetization BS a lot more without the fear of a big backlash?
Ninja.
Well, one things for sure from reading some of these replies. If the goal of GGG isn't to get rid of those who don't like the direction of the game, it's the goal of some of the other players.

Either get in line and agree with them or get out.

I always get a chuckle out of people with hypocritical attitudes like that when they themselves suggest changes to the game in other threads. You can't make this stuff up haha.
“If freedom of [censored] is taken away, then [censored] and [censored] we may be led, like [censored] to the [censored].” - George Washington
"
Baharoth15 wrote:
GGG is trying to get rid of most of us.

They aren't actively trying to get rid of the players, they just don't care if half of them quit.
"
Baharoth15 wrote:
POEs/GGGs problem is that they've made two massive direction changes over the course of it's life time.
The game started as a hardcore game for a niche audience with focus on grindiness and difficulty. GGG then dropped that topic entirely and went full blown powercreep for almost a decade reducing the game to a walking simulator bar any difficulty, this fact brought in a LARGE amount of players, way beyond what their initial target audience was, and those players played this game for years because of what it was, not because of what it was intended to be in the beginning.
If they weren't greedy and money driven they could have just openly announced that direction change, made ruthless the new main game and be done with it. But they are human after all so they try to get their vision while keeping as many players who don't want the vision around for as long as possible, hence the "small nerfs bit by bit approach" players have been complaining about for 2 years now.

The result will be a game alienating large parts of it's playerbase for years to come until all the players realise what's going on and draw a line by leaving and the game shrinking itself back to the niche game it was supposed to be early on.

The part this leaves out is that with the large amount of players also came a large amount of money, on which GGG expanded into a fairly large company.

Seeing how few people play ruthless, making that the main game mode would make the company insolvent relatively quickly, so GGG is walking the line of ruthlessization of the game slowly because if the playerbase, most notably, the paying one, isn't willing to follow, then GGG would be terminating itself.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info