[3.23] Lk's Cold DoT Ele [League-start to over 40m DoT] (Wildwood Primalist Update)

How to scale dmg on Occultist? I run occultist because of ES version (CI). What i miss againts elementalist is shock, that scale pretty well endgame. Is there any source of freeze? Cold mastery 5% inc dmg taken per freeze sec looks so cool and it could be the way againts bosses.

Thanks.
"
AnubixcZ wrote:
How to scale dmg on Occultist? I run occultist because of ES version (CI). What i miss againts elementalist is shock, that scale pretty well endgame. Is there any source of freeze? Cold mastery 5% inc dmg taken per freeze sec looks so cool and it could be the way againts bosses.

Thanks.

https://poe.ninja/challenge/builds?skill=Vortex,Creeping-Frost&item=!Eye-of-Malice&sort=dps&dps=Creeping-Frost

this URL shows the top dps-ers for the league running DD helm. my real dot dps is around 48m against bosses/guardians, i havent gone to import and figure out how the occultist top dps values are.

if you're running a mid-high budget elementalist, the frigid wake jewel pair is what enables us to freeze uniques/bosses. i've actually de-allocated the 5% inc dmg per freeze second as i felt it was gimmicky and at best "pob dps".

since this is an elementalist guide, i will only discuss briefly on how occultists gain damage, that is fundamentally different from elementalist:

auras - going CI/LL using shavronne's, you can reserve way more auras that can boost survivability/dps, using prism guardian (that reserve life). as a result, occultists, ever since cluster jewels in delirium, are pseudo aura stackers, with increased effect of curses/non-curse auras being significantly important to the build.

the downside is that GGG has consistently shown their intent toward nerfing such a playstyle, as aura stacking provides too much power for their liking. also, BIS cluster jewels and notables are extremely expensive. occultists as an ascendancy has waned in value, as there are good value substitute options to unholy authority (just taking whispers of doom - and now there is no more malediction), and profane bloom (like oriath's end/legacy of fury), and frigid wake (jewels).

on the other hand elementalist's ascendancy nodes are "hard to replace" or find substitutes - like as you mentioned about the shock (shaper of storms). heart of destruction mechanic plays very well into mapping/bossing, mastermind of discord is a good dps boost for exposure, and bastion of elements give good ehp and ability to do ele reflect maps.

the point of diminishing returns occurs way earlier in occultists compared to elementalist, due to gearing options in our chest as well. simply because occultists have to go CI/shavronne's if ES build. life based occultists may fare better, but will not be able to go down the aura stacking path.
"
Judaspriester wrote:
Darn... I shouldn't have thought about that body in the first place. Now my mind is already circling around possible recipies.

- get a 6l hunter base (starting at 15c)
- reforge caster via harvest for additional curse
- awakened orb to melt together with a +1 support redeemer chest (make sure both don't have other influenced mods in order to avoid ending up with the wrong ones on the new item)
- prefix cannot change + any stuff for decent suffixes
- (optional: enchant for alternate quality effect like + hp)
- double corrupt and pray

as long as you don't care about the other mods, you could get a chest ready to corrupt for like 70c (edit: or maybe more, would have to check the price for the harvest craft at home).
+2/+1 corrupt & + 1 support explicit would end up in +5 level to vortex and creeping. In addition the additional curse would save us 4 sp used for whispers of doom.

/edit: with the given recipie, you don't even need to tainted craft. The double corrupt would be the expensive part indeed.

/edit2: redeemer chest is more interesting than shaper since we have the chance(!) to get additonal effect for non-aura skills. even If i most likely wouldn't aim for it.

haha this would be really sick. maybe just a craft of exile simulator as we'd be broke in the game if we did this :P
"
SonsOfKorhal wrote:

haha this would be really sick. maybe just a craft of exile simulator as we'd be broke in the game if we did this :P

After work today I've got some days off. Depending on how good I'm making currency, I will invest into 3-5 specimen and take a look what will happen after vaaling.

Since I'm actually running "just" a +1 all carcass, a similar one with +1 support and additional curse would most likely already be an improvement. After I got very lucky with crafting again yesterday, compensating for the 11% all res the carcass offers, is an non issue for me.

If I really do this, I will post the results here.

About the craft:

Ended up with that ring with just lightning res as suffix. So I thought "hey, craft the necessary cold res on that ring, slam an ex on it and call it a day". I think you can imagine how surprised I was as the t2 fire res popped up. :D

/edit: sons, you said that you paid 75 div for your chest.
assuming 70c for the ready to vaal body + another 80c for the temple (so 150c in total), this would mean 110 tries.
Without checking the math in detail, hitting +2/+1 in 110 tries sounds somewhat reasonable. ;)
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.
Last edited by Judaspriester on May 9, 2023, 3:40:47 AM
"
Judaspriester wrote:
"
SonsOfKorhal wrote:

After work today I've got some days off. Depending on how good I'm making currency, I will invest into 3-5 specimen and take a look what will happen after vaaling.

Since I'm actually running "just" a +1 all carcass, a similar one with +1 support and additional curse would most likely already be an improvement. After I got very lucky with crafting again yesterday, compensating for the 11% all res the carcass offers, is an non issue for me.

If I really do this, I will post the results here.

About the craft:

Ended up with that ring with just lightning res as suffix. So I thought "hey, craft the necessary cold res on that ring, slam an ex on it and call it a day". I think you can imagine how surprised I was as the t2 fire res popped up. :D

/edit: sons, you said that you paid 75 div for your chest.
assuming 70c for the ready to vaal body + another 80c for the temple (so 150c in total), this would mean 110 tries.
Without checking the math in detail, hitting +2/+1 in 110 tries sounds somewhat reasonable. ;)

it's also about the time, given that we earn 5-8 div per hour, the "problem" with trade is that we think of efficiency. so how long will it take to buy 110 chests potentially 1 by 1, and then corrupt them 1 by 1 (even if buying temples from service providers).
"
SonsOfKorhal wrote:

it's also about the time, given that we earn 5-8 div per hour, the "problem" with trade is that we think of efficiency. so how long will it take to buy 110 chests potentially 1 by 1, and then corrupt them 1 by 1 (even if buying temples from service providers).

Well, that's true. Even if I play by far not efficient enough to earn 5-8 div/hour.

Anyway, If I get some spare currency, I'll try with a small batch. It's unlikely that I'll start another char this season, so a few div lost while crafting is something I can life with.
If it (against all odds) turn out that I will end up with more than 1 good corrupted chest, I'll give it to someone else that follows the build. ;)
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.
"
AnubixcZ wrote:

Thanks.

You could respec into Elementalist :)

On a serious note, you can get forbidden flame jewels for Shaper of Storms:
https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Crucible/rjW63mZHQ

You can also get shock from the "Shock enemies for 4 seconds when you focus" craft on rings.

Looking at your HC Crucible character, here are some quick tips:
1. If you get a lvl 21 vortex gem, your overall DPS will increase by ~14%.

2. I am not sure if your shield crucible modifier interacts with Zealot's Oath. I think it does, and you should remove it.

3. You have a spare socket on your wand. Add Culling Strike to your shield charge.

4. You can harvest craft your weapon for quality gives elemental damage
YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/@LkGG-Gaming
Devouring Diadem CDoT Elementalist Guide: www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3362183
Vaal Caress CDoT Trickster Guide: www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3450602
Last edited by LkGGz on May 9, 2023, 12:38:22 PM
Would you say this build is designed purely for mapping or can you switch DD for EoM if you want to do Pinnacle Bosses?
"
Zenocapri wrote:
Would you say this build is designed purely for mapping or can you switch DD for EoM if you want to do Pinnacle Bosses?

the decision to build around DD is not related to boss vs. mapping. DD can handle bossing just fine.

read here for a deeper discussion:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3362183/page/2#p24936007

to answer your question, yes you can switch to EoM for bossing, but it is rather troublesome, given that you will have to mitigate/adjust for the "losses" due to switching DD out. personally, I don't find that worth it. it is also arguable that depending on the fight mechanics, you are not always in range of the boss in order to make use of the powerful EoM modifier of "nearby enemies have 50% increased resistances".

CDoT excels in placing the DoTs and running around, i find it counter-intuitive to want to be near to the boss (where avoidable).

while the loss of dps of using DD compared to EoM is significant, it however is not build breaking, and we have more than sufficient dps to handle bosses. i find that building for dps while having DD is a more suitable overall approach.
Just squeezed out 20M dot, hit 38 challenges, and debating whether or not to grind out last 2.

Didn't go low life, largely because I got too attached to stupid sexy stygian I crafted in the first week. I mean just look at this thing:

If this is the end of my league, I give Cold DoT a 10/10 for crucible. Crucible trees felt impactful, there was always another upgrade to strive for, and it's flexible enough to fit a wide variety of drops/crafts.

Just my two cents to add one more comment to bump this treasure trove of knowledge and advice ever higher on the forums. Easily the best resource of Cold DoT I found this league!!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info