[3.25] One shot Tectonic Slam Chieftain. Great Damage and Survivability. Melting all content.

"
Hi guys! I was choosing new build to play and found this one. But i see some people struggle with boss damage and defences. Does first crit version without chest is able to do most of content or you should invest much more in order to succeed?

If fighting sirus for 20 minutes is ok for you, then yes.
"
Hi, in the POB config the only random buff that we cannot control is the Ngamahu, even with that disabled we still have 4.8M DPS in the midcrit POB.

However if the build isn't played correctly (like not maintaining endurance charges, not warcry properly during boss), then of course the build isn't getting the damage that it should have.

Feel free to point out any buff in config and I am willing to explain why the buff can be maintained during boss fight.

Vaal Warchief, flasks, ngamahu are not maintanable on bosses.
Getting buff from rallying cry also sometimes problematic. Even maintaining regular warchief totems is hard because they are dying from aoe very quickly. Also, dps boosted a lot by phase run, which is also kind of trickery since we hit with phase run approximately every 4th attack, if we are not just staying afk for 4 seconds. Thus, the real dps is much lower then in pob(like 10 times) if we talking about bossfights. If im wrong please correct me. Btw this build is first time for me when I failed maven (all 6 portals gone) since she was introduced to the game, because damage is so inconsistent.
Last edited by UsualNickname on Feb 17, 2022, 6:32:55 AM
I've played around with OP's PoB and I think leaving Ngamahu's Flame on is somehwat fair, since the buff is up rather frequently.

Furthermore, not sure what the current consensus on this is, but builds have always showed off their burst DPS. If the build can achieve 18m DPS even for 5-7 seconds, it's kind of fair to advertise it as such. The biggest DPS window you have is in the very beginning of every boss fight, where the screen is not yet cluttered with degens and different attacks.

As for this particular build, it does rely on totems a lot for boss DPS. They make up almost 50% of it, which is I think is something that may be worth mentioning in the Pros/Cons section.

Also, getting crit capped appears to be essential. You attack once every 2 seconds, so the "DPS" as a metric is not really applicable here, but I don't see any option to display single hit damage only in PoB. It does get displayed on the "Calc" page though. Check OP's Min-Maxed PoB:

Non-crit hit WITH Ngamahu's buff is 2.831.817
Crit with Ngamahu's buff is 18.435.132

And it just hit me, that the actual DPS of the min-maxed version is roughly 9 million if you don't count the totems (Attack speed and attack speed buffs do increase your DPS in PoB, but those are just QoL buffs to us, you will not be attacking faster than every 1.7-1.8 seconds due to Fist of War).

I think I'll try to go a slightly different route than OP and fit in the new Mark on Hit support and make it my priority to hit 100% crit cap whatever the cost. Ideally without flasks, but that just might be impossible. Not scoring a crit on bosses feels terrible.

By the way, just to make sure I don't get misunderstood. No matter the DPS, a build that can do almost 20mil damage per slam while maintaining good defenses is an amazing build in my book.

The only thing I wish I understood earlier is that it doesn't really come together until you have the min-maxed weapon and good Crit Multi/Crit Chance jewels to cap out your crit chance. Almost makes me want to run Precision again just for that crit chance bonus.

It also may be worth it to invest into an elevated +Crit to Attacks chest.

EDIT: I found the option to change DPS calculation - you have to switch to Max Hit War Cry calculation mode. This is a much better representation of build's potential strength!

Having Rallying Cry up is somewhat unreliable, since it's very skill dependent and the uptime will vary from player to player, but lining up Intimidating Cry and Infernal Cry is pretty straightforward.

Last edited by CaptainKotenkin on Feb 17, 2022, 4:39:43 AM
About Ngamahu's Flame, instead of leaving it on on PoB you could just consider it as 50% more damage, since it's a buff that gives you 100% more damage half the time, so essentially it's like a 50% damage buff
"
About Ngamahu's Flame, instead of leaving it on on PoB you could just consider it as 50% more damage, since it's a buff that gives you 100% more damage half the time, so essentially it's like a 50% damage buff

Afraid that would be very misleading for the slow slammer playstyle. For a fast attacking build, it is indeed straight up a %more multiplier, for us it largely depends on whether you manage to line it up. With ideal timing, you can squeeze in 2 hits with a buff, but realistically you are looking at 1 buffed - 2 unbuffed slams, so we're down to a 30% more multiplier and even that is not guaranteed. What if you have to dodge a lot and are unlucky enough to squeeze your attacks in while the buff is inactive 4 times in a row?

I would either leave it up to show potential or turn it off completely and never rely on it. If it procs - amazing, lots of bonus damage. If not - well, expected.
"
Lordados wrote:
The new implicits are pretty sick, for example you can get exposure on gloves so you don't need the cluster. Also +max res implicit on chest is insane but I haven't rolled. I'm doing this build on SSF, it's a bit of a struggle not having a good staff with crit chance, chest with base crit, and curse on hit rings. The crit chance is really bad without those, I think I'm going to swap Fortify for Increased Crit Strikes, and get Fortify on the tree

The new exposure implicits are really good, it will spare us from using cluster jewels to get exposure
[3.19] Jenno's Staff Crit Lightning Conduit Elementalist - All Rounder Spell Caster Build.
[3.17] Ultimate Self-cast Flameblast Occulist. Pure Damage and Tankiness for End Game.
[3.17] One shot Tectonic Slam Chieftain. Great Damage and Survivability.
"
expanda wrote:
Hi guys! I was choosing new build to play and found this one. But i see some people struggle with boss damage and defences. Does first crit version without chest is able to do most of content or you should invest much more in order to succeed?

The first crit gear without chest is able to get you to those early end-game bosses like elder, shaper, awakener, etc.

In order to do challenging end-game content, it would need more investments.
[3.19] Jenno's Staff Crit Lightning Conduit Elementalist - All Rounder Spell Caster Build.
[3.17] Ultimate Self-cast Flameblast Occulist. Pure Damage and Tankiness for End Game.
"
UsualNickname wrote:
"
Hi, in the POB config the only random buff that we cannot control is the Ngamahu, even with that disabled we still have 4.8M DPS in the midcrit POB.

However if the build isn't played correctly (like not maintaining endurance charges, not warcry properly during boss), then of course the build isn't getting the damage that it should have.

Feel free to point out any buff in config and I am willing to explain why the buff can be maintained during boss fight.

Vaal Warchief, flasks, ngamahu are not maintanable on bosses.
Getting buff from rallying cry also sometimes problematic. Even maintaining regular warchief totems is hard because they are dying from aoe very quickly. Also, dps boosted a lot by phase run, which is also kind of trickery since we hit with phase run approximately every 4th attack, if we are not just staying afk for 4 seconds. Thus, the real dps is much lower then in pob(like 10 times) if we talking about bossfights. If im wrong please correct me. Btw this build is first time for me when I failed maven (all 6 portals gone) since she was introduced to the game, because damage is so inconsistent.

I think what you've mentioned here is a classic burst damage vs minimal damage scenario. While this applies to all builds, let me share how I view these buffs: if these buffs can be reliably controlled and provide benefit for a decent amount of time, then it is worthwhile to consider them.

In boss fights there are usually two phases:
a) burst phase (with consumable buffs like flask, vaal totem)
b) peace phase (without consumable buffs, but other periodic buffs can still apply)

Usually for small bosses like map boss, conqueror, we are able to finish the boss within phase (a) easily, even one-shot them. For big bosses, like Maven, Sirus, it is usually a combination of (a) and (b).

When the damage is low, then phase (b) will be relatively long and it definitely gives people the impression that the build isn't doing damage.

As you gear up further, one thing you will notice is: the duration of (b) becomes shorter and shorter, so that the damage is almost always calculated within (a) phase.

If you take a look at the simulacrum wave 30 video, the Kosis encounter from 1:00 to 1:20, we are basically always in burst damage phase.

Since this holds true even with wave 30 mods and 100% delirious condition (boss takes 96% less damage), all other game content will apply too. Therefore the burst dps is a fair measure that can represent the build.
Last edited by JennoJoyce on Feb 17, 2022, 11:49:31 AM
"
I've played around with OP's PoB and I think leaving Ngamahu's Flame on is somehwat fair, since the buff is up rather frequently.

Furthermore, not sure what the current consensus on this is, but builds have always showed off their burst DPS. If the build can achieve 18m DPS even for 5-7 seconds, it's kind of fair to advertise it as such. The biggest DPS window you have is in the very beginning of every boss fight, where the screen is not yet cluttered with degens and different attacks.

As for this particular build, it does rely on totems a lot for boss DPS. They make up almost 50% of it, which is I think is something that may be worth mentioning in the Pros/Cons section.

Also, getting crit capped appears to be essential. You attack once every 2 seconds, so the "DPS" as a metric is not really applicable here, but I don't see any option to display single hit damage only in PoB. It does get displayed on the "Calc" page though. Check OP's Min-Maxed PoB:

Non-crit hit WITH Ngamahu's buff is 2.831.817
Crit with Ngamahu's buff is 18.435.132

And it just hit me, that the actual DPS of the min-maxed version is roughly 9 million if you don't count the totems (Attack speed and attack speed buffs do increase your DPS in PoB, but those are just QoL buffs to us, you will not be attacking faster than every 1.7-1.8 seconds due to Fist of War).

I think I'll try to go a slightly different route than OP and fit in the new Mark on Hit support and make it my priority to hit 100% crit cap whatever the cost. Ideally without flasks, but that just might be impossible. Not scoring a crit on bosses feels terrible.

By the way, just to make sure I don't get misunderstood. No matter the DPS, a build that can do almost 20mil damage per slam while maintaining good defenses is an amazing build in my book.

The only thing I wish I understood earlier is that it doesn't really come together until you have the min-maxed weapon and good Crit Multi/Crit Chance jewels to cap out your crit chance. Almost makes me want to run Precision again just for that crit chance bonus.

It also may be worth it to invest into an elevated +Crit to Attacks chest.

EDIT: I found the option to change DPS calculation - you have to switch to Max Hit War Cry calculation mode. This is a much better representation of build's potential strength!

Having Rallying Cry up is somewhat unreliable, since it's very skill dependent and the uptime will vary from player to player, but lining up Intimidating Cry and Infernal Cry is pretty straightforward.

Hi thanks for the comment. The comment I made in previous thread regarding damage is related to your comment too.

On top of that, regarding the damage calculation, one way to measure in-game scenario of damage output in POB is:

1. in POB calculation mode, set warcry calculation mode as max
2. Get the combined total damage of tectonic slam, divide that by 1.8 (which is the fist of war cool down, that's our attack frequency in the simulacrum video too)
3. now change the warcry calculation mode to average again, and add DPS from totem and combust. Because totem will not benefit from exerted attack

I did that calculation with minmaxed POB and it results in about 46.6M DPS.
Last edited by JennoJoyce on Feb 17, 2022, 11:14:41 AM
"

Afraid that would be very misleading for the slow slammer playstyle. For a fast attacking build, it is indeed straight up a %more multiplier, for us it largely depends on whether you manage to line it up. With ideal timing, you can squeeze in 2 hits with a buff, but realistically you are looking at 1 buffed - 2 unbuffed slams, so we're down to a 30% more multiplier and even that is not guaranteed. What if you have to dodge a lot and are unlucky enough to squeeze your attacks in while the buff is inactive 4 times in a row?

I would either leave it up to show potential or turn it off completely and never rely on it. If it procs - amazing, lots of bonus damage. If not - well, expected.

I think this view of Ngamahu buff is inaccurate.

This is a pure RNG scenario, in a boss fight where the number of slams is large enough, this can be simply interpreted as each slam having 40% chance to apply the buff.

This can be easily verified if you go to the video, count the number of slams with buff and divide that by the total number of slams.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info