[3.13]🏹 Poison Barrage-VF / Scourge Arrow / TR PF | Bottled Fortify | The Tankiest Ranger + High DPS

"

Hello, can anyone help me to improve my Toxic Rain single target DPS against conquerors and t16 bosses ?. (except awakened gem, gem level, gem quality and warlord chest base). Here's my pob https://pastebin.com/HccveU2W

Is there anyway to make TR pod explode faster ?

Less Duration Support (21/20) can be used to make pods explode faster. Although its paper DPS is lower than Awake Deadly Ailment (5/20), it's arguably more effective than regular deadly ailment.

Regarding upgrades, first of all, you nees a rare ring with despair on hit.

Second, I would focus on leveling up Awake Added Chaos damage (cheap) and Awake Unbound Ailment to level 5 ASAP. They significantly boost base poison damage and duration by a large amount. Grab a Coralito until you get lvl3+ Awake unbound Ailment. Cinderswallow is great. If you have a tight budget, try a Silver flask with +#% AS until you can afford cinderswallow.

In addition, Tailwind boots work great for Poison TR. You don't need +1 arrow in quiver, but Dying Sun with max AoE flask mod. Quiver should have either chaos Dot multi or Dot multi.

Apart from that, try to stack Viridian jewels with AS, chaos dot multi (and life if possible).
Poison Scourge Arrow/Toxic Rain + Blast Rain PF| Bottled Fortify:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2851574
--
Update time! I want to use this post to help people decide on gear choices, as I feel that the information on it is fairly scattered. Note : this is for the acrobatics version of the build using SA.

Preface - in the past 3 days, I have only died once - this includes doing:
sirus 8/all elderslayers, elder, all elder guardians, shaper, all shaper guardians, t16 delirium maps, multiple simulacrums, grand heists, heists, etc.

My one death was due to spilling a little water on my keyboard, so I took my headset off and was trying to clean it, and kept hitting blood rage - whoops!

Gear time! I've decided to go for a fairly high defensive version of the build, with great damage, boss killing abilities, and the only thing I really swap around is flasks for bosses

Let's talk about stat breakdowns for each piece of gear:

Helmet
Spoiler

The main and most important thing to aim for on a helmet is scourge arrow gets an extra pod - this actually adds a pod at all levels, and is a significant damage bonus. As an enchantment, this provides flexibility -

Most important prefixes: Life, life/evasion,
Somewhat important: % of physical damage from hits taken as cold (redeemer) % of physical taken as fire (crafted) or warlord.
Suffixes: Most important: focus increases ailment duration - this is a HUGE damage boost (close to 35-36% for me while it is up) even over its duration or 4/12 seconds, its close to 12% damage increase averaged out

Secondary in importance: Fortify has increased effect (Defensive - Crusader), nearby enemies have -9% chaos resist (Offensive - Hunter)
Helmet can also be used for resists, or accuracy, to shore up those stats.

Bow
Spoiler

Only one real option here, an ilvl 83+ elder bow

Stats to look for:
Mandatory:
adds # to # chaos damage
60% chance for poisons to deal 100% extra damage
Open prefix for 40% chaos damage over time multiplier

Secondary in importance:
Attack speed or attack speed + increased attack speed on kill
chance to poison on hit / poison damage
+1 projectile

tertiary important stats:
culling strike
life gain on hit (good defense)
blind on hit (Defense)
accuracy (offense)

Quiver
Spoiler

Note: If your bow DOES NOT HAVE +1 projectiles, you need it here.
In this case, you will use a shaper or warlord base quiver
Prioritize:
Prefixes:
Life
Bow attacks fire an additional arrow
Open prefix for adds # to # chaos damage
Adds # to # physical damage

Suffixes
Attack speed
Accuracy
Resists
Damage over time multiplier

IF you have +1 projectiles on bow, you can go with a quiver like mine, hunter base that has chaos damage over time multiplier and chance to poison on hit/increased poison damage

Chest Armour
Spoiler
The most important stat is -15 mana on attacks from warlord
Next in importance is Life, life and more life.
Base flat life, life/evasion, and the crafted 8% life are great.

If you can, +1 to level of socketed active gems (warlord)
1 endurance charge every second if you've been hit (warlord) are great as well.
You can also look for resists here as well

You can also try some awakening orb shenanigans to get:
crusader: nearby enemies explode dealing 3% of life as phys
Hunter: you can apply an additional curse, %increased max life
Redeemer: 10% chance to gain a frenzy charge on hit
+1 to level of socketed support gems

Gloves
Spoiler

Fenumus' weave are fantastic here, offering a great amount of damage along with a slow.

Try to get despair on hit or +1 frenzy charge as an implicit from corruption

Boots
Spoiler

Tailwind is awesome, and even with our rather low crit rate, it's up due to how many times we hit
Prioritize life, tailwind, resists, movement speed. With a double corrupt you can also look for +1 maximum endurance charges

Belt
Spoiler

Personally, I always appreciate a good stygian vise.
This is an awesome spot to get a ton of resists and life, and still have an abyssal jewel spot open for: life, resists, accuracy, attack speed, phys damage.

Some useful belt stats:
Life
%increased damage or effect of flasks (crafted)
Resists
Flask duration

Hunter: increased maximum life, %increased chaos damage

Amulet
Spoiler

The king of this spot is aul's uprising
I made a mistake early on of not realizing this, but corrected it. Malevolence is a fanstastic buff, and allows for the malevolence watchers eye in addition

Otherwise, amulet is a great source of Int, life, chaos damage over time multiplier and resists.

Rings
Spoiler

One ring without a doubt should be a circle of nostalgia with increased damage, and chaos resist during HOAG - look for a good implicit if you can!
Second ring is a great spot for despair on hit and resists

Hopefully this is a help to anyone not understanding how to prioritize some stats on gear
"
WolfieNa wrote:

1) Increased ailment duration while Focused:
People believe this mod only creates a burst DPS window.

In practice, it not only creates a DPS burst but also benefits the subsequent poison stacks. Let's say we have 5-sec poison duration and 7-sec poison duration without and with the Focus mod respectively. Below is an illustrated chart that shows the poison stacks in the chrono order with and without Focus.

<-7s -> <5s >
x-------o-----
xx-------oo---
xxx-------ooo-
xxxx-------ooo
xxxxx-------oo
xxxxxx-------o
xxxxxxx-------

x: one poison stack inflicted during Focus duration, which lasts 7sec.
o: one poison stack inflicted without Focus, which lasts 5sec.
-: poison stack dealing damage.

Multiple poison can stacks, so the Focus mod scales with the attack per sec (APS). This is the DPS burst with high APS. In addition, as you may see in the illustration above, Focus also benefits the subsequent poison stacks on a rolling window basis (look at the overlapped stacks above).

Hi, this will be a long post, hope somebody will read it and probably comment :)

So, all these poison related interactions have been bothering me for some time. I find them rather confusing when it comes to channeling skills and SCOURGE ARROW IN PARTICULAR.

Below I have printed some of the calculations PoB made for me and they are based on my current gear and skills (so dont laugh :D).
I FORGOT TO ENABLE FLASKS, Withered and some other dmg buffs in the simulation/calculations, but don't mind that, the example and questions are still valid (just number are a bit lower).

Firstly, and probably most importantly, notice that there is this HUGE drop of poison stacks at SA at MAX STAGES. I didn't know that untill I started to play with PoB more serously. The damage still goes UP, but this is not the point.

The point is, how the max poison stacks drop reflect the real gameplay, or as you said - IN PRACTICE.

So, below you can see some formulas and numbers. These are made solely to see what is the impact of INCREASED POISON DURATION with regards to SCOURGE ARROW.
The impact of physical dmg, attack speed, wither stacks, curses, etc... are not factored, though they, in reality, have their significant impact too. But in this case they are CONSTANTS and do not affect the end results.

##########

POB Calculations

Enchant is: 120% increased duration of ailments when focused and is to show the impact of poison duration effect.

No enchant/No focus, NO stages (chance to poison 100%)

Poison DPS: 9 084.1
Posion Duration: 3.98s
Dmg per Poison: 36 172
Max Poison Stacks: 24.2

Max Poison Stacks = 3.98(poison duration) x 0.97(hit chance) x 6.27(hit per second) = 24.2

Total Damage per Poison = 36 172
Total DPS inc. Poison = 243 699
--------
--------

No enchant/No focus, 5 stages (chance to poison 100%)

Poison DPS: 77 239
Posion Duration: 3.98s
Dmg per Poison: 307 564
Max Poison Stacks: 4.8

Max Poison Stacks = 3.98(poison duration) x 0.97(hit chance) x 6.27(hit per second) x 0.2 (dps multi for skill) = 4.8

Total Damage per Poison = 307 564
Total DPS inc. Poison = 414 460

########################
########################

ENCHANT/FOCUS, NO stages (chance to poison 100%)

Poison DPS: 9 084.1
Posion Duration: 6.14s
Dmg per Poison: 55 813
Max Poison Stacks: 37.4

Max Poison Stacks = 6.14(poison duration) x 0.97(hit chance) x 6.27(hit per second) = 37.4

Total Damage per Poison = 55 813
Total DPS inc. Poison = 363 155

ENCHANT/FOCUS, 5 stages (chance to poison 100%)

Poison DPS: 77 239
Posion Duration: 6.14s
Dmg per Poison: 474 568
Max Poison Stacks: 7.5

Max Poison Stacks = 6.14(poison duration) x 0.97(hit chance) x 6.27(hit per second) x 0.2 (dps multi for skill) = 7.5

Total Damage per Poison = 474 568
Total DPS inc. Poison = 617 600

##############

Questions and conclusion for REAL game play scenario in which you can shoout SA at MAX STAGES let say every 1.5 - 2 sec (at the best), assuming you are not standing in one place shooting which will be faster (still cant facetank high dmg bosses), but jumping and kiting and etc...

And regarding SA in particular:

- Seems that poison duration is probably the main contributor affecting MAX poison stacks. Which on the other hand is the main contributor to the end damage output (more duration->>more stacks->>more dmg as per the example):

No enchant/No focus, 5 stages: Total Damage per Poison = 307 564
ENCHANT/FOCUS, 5 stages: Total Damage per Poison = 474 568
...which is roughly more than 50% damage increase.

- How many max staged SA shots would take to get to max 7(8) stacks? Meaning, does one 5 pod, nicely aimed SA, will get you to max poison stacks?

- If NO, then maybe two? I.e. Asking about the probability max staged 5 pods SA projectiles to apply poison.

- OK, so we shot let say 2 SA and we are at max 7-8 poison stages. THis means shooting during next 6s (until 1st stack expire) will only refresh the duration, it will not add new poison stacks (meaning will not increase the poison dmg)

-For the ones that USE the Focus Enchant is probably a good idea NOT TO SHOOT for 5-6 seconds after the Focus has expired or they will "over-write" the damage and do less. Not sure id this is the case tho..

- Does any of this make any sence :) Any further comments, insights, comments... :)

Sorry for any spell errors, i will fix them when or If i see some (not an native eng speaker).
Last edited by Jinxxxed on Oct 7, 2020, 5:45:25 PM
"
Questions and conclusion for REAL game play scenario in which you can shoout SA at MAX STAGES let say every 1.5 - 2 sec (at the best), assuming you are not standing in one place shooting which will be faster (still cant facetank high dmg bosses), but jumping and kiting and etc...

To give you an idea, in town I can get 11-12 full 5 stack SAs off in a 10 second window - this is without my 4 frenzy charges. This is why attack speed is a key DPS factor.

"

And regarding SA in particular:

- Seems that poison duration is probably the main contributor affecting MAX poison stacks. Which on the other hand is the main contributor to the end damage output.

- How many max staged SA shots would take to get to max 7(8) stacks? Meaning, does one 5 pod, nicely aimed SA, will get you to max poison stacks?

- If NO, then maybe two? I.e. Asking about the probability max staged 5 pods SA projectiles to apply poison.

- OK, so we shot let say 2 SA and we are at max 7-8 poison stages. THis means shooting during next 6s (until 1st stack expire) will only refresh the duration, it will not add new poison stacks (meaning will not increase the poison dmg)

There are no max poisons you can have on a target, its a factor of how often you hit them, and how many times you can hit them within a window. My "max" poison stacks is 86.8 according to POB, which is most likely a calculation of 1 shot + 6 pods = 7 poisons per attack within a particular duration

Without focus its 61.9

Poison duration / (#poisons * attack speed?)

Each poison's damage is dependent on how hard you hit

Last edited by Slottm on Oct 7, 2020, 5:39:09 PM
My numbers are from (red circle):

Are yours from there too?

Also, about poison duration, according to PoB, it is a little more complicated:

In addition, with regards to channeling skills and SA in particular, I dont think attack speed is any factor in DPS. It is a factor how quick you charge to 5 stages.
It probably is a main factor with regards to other poison non channeling skills/builds like Cobra Lash/Pestilence Strike/Viper Strike/ etc...
Last edited by Jinxxxed on Oct 7, 2020, 6:39:49 PM

Something might be extremely wrong with your POB or setup...
Last edited by Slottm on Oct 7, 2020, 6:31:51 PM
"
My one death was due to spilling a little water on my keyboard, so I took my headset off and was trying to clean it, and kept hitting blood rage - whoops!

I had to comment on this before reading the rest.

Congrats on finding a new way to die! I'm sure someone else has done this before, but personal firsts are always very cool!!

This is a game in which it is so easy to die that it really means something when you find a way that takes serious effort!!!
Last edited by GreyLensman on Oct 7, 2020, 6:35:12 PM
"
Slottm wrote:

Something might be extremely wrong with your POB or setup...

I have selected - Skill Part->Release at 5 stages. Yours is Thorn arrows.. not sure what this is.
I am not arguing, just trying to clarify the setup :)
Last edited by Jinxxxed on Oct 7, 2020, 6:38:15 PM
"
Jinxxxed wrote:
My numbers are from (red circle):

Are yours from there too?

Also, about poison duration, according to PoB, it is a little more complicated:

In addition, with regards to channeling skills and SA in particular, I dont think attack speed is any factor in DPS. It is a factor how quick you charge to 5 stages.
With regard to other poison skills/builds like Cobra Lash/Pestilence Strike/Viper Strike/ etc... it probabli is.

Ah, ok so every scourge arrow has: the initial hit, then thorn pods. Each stacks poisons a little differently, but our damage is kind of the sum of both in some way. Even with release at 5, im still have 17-18 max stacks

Hello ive gotten this far now and managed to kill my first sirus with this build, i felt like my dps was low but managed to survive quite well.

My question is what should i now focus on to get most return out of my chaos investments in to the build?

Any help would be appreciated ive moved to the phase acro tree.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info