ALL HAIL PRESIDENT TRUMP

So for the first time in a long time Congress did a thing: they passed a bipartisan bill calling for an end to US military interventionism in Yemen.

Trump vetoed it yesterday (it's 1AM where I am, so by "yesterday" I mean today, kind of). Just when you thought they were finally driven off, looks like neoconservative military-interventionist advisors have finally seized the ear of the President.

Of course, whenever Congress actually does something right, you can bet your ass it's not by a veto-proof majority.

Very disappointed in our President right now, when I wish I could have felt proud of our legislature.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
"
Xavderion wrote:
Those articles prove nothing, they're either hearsay or fake news. And you're spreading fake news about his father.

T/N: "I have completely closed my mind to any possibility of any bad news about Trump. I have absolutely zero interest in hearing any of it, and will reject it out of hand without further thought. I'm not interested in debate; I am a sycophant."

Sadly this is increasingly common within the republican party. It's such a convenient way of arguing, too! It's a shame it's batshit crazy from top to bottom.

But it's true, Trump is not racist. His father might've been, but it doesn't matter. And I don't give a single fuck about the Republican party.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

Racism is a form of stupid. For instance, let's say me and a racist were tasked with sorting people within a large group into tiers of intelligence. I would have each person take a standardized IQ test; the racist would sort the group by ethnicity, ranking them in some way (e.g. East Asians > Whites > Hispanics > other > Blacks). I am thoroughly convinced that my method, while perhaps not perfect, would grounp people better around their actual intelligence than the racists' method. Because my understanding is closer to reality than the racists', my way is smarter.

Is this bait? It must be bait.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
It wasn't intended as bait when I wrote it, but now that you've said what you've said, I feel an overwhelming anticipation in the hope that you'll bite.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Apr 17, 2019, 5:01:30 AM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
It wasn't intended as bait when I wrote it, but now that you've said what you've said, I feel an overwhelming anticipation in the hope that you'll bite.

There are topics which you can only discuss in private. This is one of those. I still wonder why you put out such low quality bait though.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
So for the first time in a long time Congress did a thing: they passed a bipartisan bill calling for an end to US military interventionism in Yemen.

Trump vetoed it yesterday (it's 1AM where I am, so by "yesterday" I mean today, kind of). Just when you thought they were finally driven off, looks like neoconservative military-interventionist advisors have finally seized the ear of the President.

Of course, whenever Congress actually does something right, you can bet your ass it's not by a veto-proof majority.

Very disappointed in our President right now, when I wish I could have felt proud of our legislature.

I have a very cynical theory. Here's two clues.

Trump has said he loves the Saudi's because he has made lots of money from them. https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/16/trump-says-no-financial-interests-in-saudi-arabia-but-makes-money.html What was the very first country that new President Trump visited? (hint:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_international_presidential_trips_made_by_Donald_Trump

P.S. Thank you so much for your last post. I'm still laughing about it.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
"
RPGlitch wrote:

Business insider gives you a link, right on that filibuster comment, as to why it wouldn't and didn't pass in the Senate.

So I'm sure it'll be easy to find a cite for a democratic filibuster.

Or a cite for a majority vote on the version with wall funding.

Or some basic understanding of why, when the republican senate passes a clean CR via a unanimous vote and the republican house rejects it because the republican president is going to veto it, it is not somehow the minority party's fault.

Ha ha. Ha ha ha. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Look, you can sound smart or reasonable all you want, but if you're this willing to twist extremely recent history, there's no point in continuing.

"
You are not right to say it was political infighting between republicans.

Y'know I threatened mocking laughter but this is honestly just sad. Almost as sad as the realization that you will probably vote in the next election. And possibly even breed.

"
"
Except by that logic, so does legal immigration. So does giving birth. So does literally any action taken that increases the population density of any given area, even if the population in question is statistically far less likely to commit crimes than the native population.

You are forgetting legal immigration...is legal.

This makes literally zero difference to your argument. Some legal immigrants commit crimes. Therefore legal immigration leads to crime. See why it's such a stupid fucking argument?

"
Again, why is talking about total crime bullshit? And why divide it by another statistic to make sense of it?

For general consideration, which of the following places would you prefer to live in?

1. A town with 100 people living there that sees, on average, 100 violent crimes every year
2. A town with 1,000 people living there that sees, on average, 200 violent crimes every year
3. A city with 10,000,000 people living there that sees, on average, 400 violent crimes every year

Now, if you're following GlitchRPG's absurdly stupid logic, you'd say the first town, because it has less violent crime. And you'd stay right away from the third place, because it has the most violent crime out of any of these places!

If you're not an idiot, you'll notice that in the first scenario, in an average year, a massive portion of the population is the victim of some form of violent crime, whereas in the third one, your odds of being the victim of a violent crime is up there with your odds of getting struck by lightning. We can intuitively tell that, despite the fact that the third place has more crimes than the first place, the first place is a lawless hellhole, and the third place is incredibly safe.

I hope that explains why "number of crimes" is a meaningless statistic if you're not dividing it by the general population. This is baby's first criminology course.

Now, there are obviously caveats (if you significantly increase the population but do nothing to hire more cops to accommodate that population, you'll run into trouble, because the raw number of crimes actually does matter compared to the raw number of cops, but this is because it's important to keep the number of cops proportional to the population), but anyone making the insanely stupid argument that illegal immigrants cause more crime because "more people = more crime" needs to get their head checked.
Luna's Blackguards - a guild of bronies - is now recruiting! If you're a fan of our favourite chromatic marshmallow equines, hit me up with an add or whisper, and I'll invite you!
IGN: HopeYouAreFireProof
Last edited by Budget_player_cadet on Apr 17, 2019, 5:40:52 AM
Also, for consideration, an excerpt from one of my favorite magazines.

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2019/01/the-death-of-europe-has-been-greatly-exaggerated

"
Arguing about public policy with someone whose anti-immigration is always uniquely frustrating, because your opponent has a trump card they wouldn’t otherwise be able to use in any normal debate; which is to say, “What if a whole gigantic population of people I don’t like simply vanished, taking their problems with them?” Take, for example, the issue of mass school shootings in the U.S. This is a complicated problem, and I might posit a variety of contributing factors that need to be examined: easy availability of firearms, lack of access to mental health support, toxic masculinity, the stultifying atmosphere of U.S. schools, and the attendant sense of powerlessness this creates in young people, etc. Now, imagine my opponent simply says to me, “This has gone too far. The problem is teenage boys. No more teenage boys. Get rid of them.” I might reply that there are a lot of teenage boys in the U.S., and most of them are not shooting anybody! And maybe the ones who are disposed to shoot people could be prevented from doing so if we reached them early enough! “No,” my opponent says, “that’s an unacceptable risk. There will be no more teenage shooters if we get rid of the teenagers. They have no right to be here. Their parents were foolish to have had them in the first place.” And of course, this is strictly correct; so what can I say?

This is approximately how it feels to argue about immigration.
I can agree with Murray that somebody murdering a journalist over a Muhammad cartoon is bad, or that someone plowing a truck into a crowd in the name of Allah is bad, or that the mass groping of women at a rock concert is bad. I can point out that these awful events have complex causes, and that attempting to prevent future incidents of the same kind will require a lot of thoughtful community work. Murray will simply say that all of the people who committed the above-cited crimes are immigrants or descendants of immigrants; therefore, the problem is immigration, and the solution is to restrict immigration. If there are no immigrants, there will be no murders or sexual assaults by immigrants. Problem solved.

If this line of thinking sounds reasonable to you, I am not sure I will get far persuading you otherwise. Extremist attacks, like school shootings, are an infrequent but terrifying phenomenon with a variety of social causes, and treating millions of Muslims (or immigrants generally) as somehow guilty of terrorism by proxy is not a proposition that any morally serious person could entertain. Extremism aside, I don’t much like to get into fights about whether immigrants commit more or fewer crimes than native-born people: I’ve written previously about how difficult it is to collect reliable data on this topic, and how much I dislike the underlying assumption that it is ever wise to treat demography as a proxy for criminality. Murray does bring up some clearly bogus figures: for example, that Sweden’s rape rate (thanks, he implies, to predatory migrants) is higher than Somalia’s. As countless weary commentators have repeatedly explained, Sweden’s reported rape rate is high because Sweden counts more forms of sexual assault as “rapes” than most countries, and because every separate instance of assault by a single perpetrator is counted as an individual case; to say nothing of the fact that there are comparatively fewer cultural barriers to reporting sexual assault in Sweden, relative to other countries internationally. The fact that Murray cited this figure without caveat is clear evidence of his bad faith.

That said, I myself make no assumptions about whether there are any crimes that immigrants or certain subsets of the immigrant population commit at higher rates than the native population. If it turned out to be true, or not true, I would be equally unsurprised. On the one hand, you might posit that immigrants are likely to commit fewer crimes because they don’t want to risk deportation. On the other hand, you might posit that many immigrants come from conflict zones or areas of extreme deprivation, and are now living apart from their family units and familiar community structures, and that this makes it more likely that they would commit crimes. (Data out of Germany show that the crime rate is quite low by international standards, but that non-Germans are questioned as suspects at a rate higher than their representation in the population… which is an inherently difficult figure to unpack. It could mean that immigrants are more likely to be suspected of crimes, or it could mean that immigrants are committing more crimes, or both.) Murray, like most anti-immigration commentators, can sow a lot of uncertainty about the scale of immigrant-perpetrated sexual assault by recounting anecdotes about women who were reluctant to reveal that their attackers were migrants, or government officials who were initially reluctant to believe stories of sex trafficking rings run by immigrants, thus implying that there may be mountains of unreported assaults looming in the background. I do think that because sexual assault is routinely underreported (and, even when reported, often not taken seriously) it is extremely hard to develop a clear picture of what’s actually going on in any country. I don’t think our intuitions are very reliable guides here, and for me, differential crimes rates across immigrant populations, even if they existed, would not be a reason for an otherwise stable and prosperous country to refuse to admit immigrants, any more than I think the fact that men commit exponentially more rapes and murders than women is a reason to precautionarily exile all men to a Martian penal colony.

Bolding mine.
Luna's Blackguards - a guild of bronies - is now recruiting! If you're a fan of our favourite chromatic marshmallow equines, hit me up with an add or whisper, and I'll invite you!
IGN: HopeYouAreFireProof
"
Or some basic understanding of why, when the republican senate passes a clean CR via a unanimous vote and the republican house rejects it because the republican president is going to veto it, it is not somehow the minority party's fault.

The original bill had a no border funding, so democrats had no reason to block it.

The second CR bill did.

I'm using the source you gave me, and I pointed out where I got it from.

As for the filibuster, it was not passed with enough votes, and risked a democratic filibuster.

Instead, of going through what they did in January, like morons and attempting to pass it (which would have been filibustered as said by democrats).

They were stalled.

It's why Trump held talks with Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi right after the failed vote. To guarantee they wouldn't filibuster it, if the Senate attempted to force it through.

The minority power had all the power in this position.

"
Y'know I threatened mocking laughter but this is honestly just sad. Almost as sad as the realization that you will probably vote in the next election. And possibly even breed.

[Removed by Support]

"
This makes literally zero difference to your argument. Some legal immigrants commit crimes. Therefore legal immigration leads to crime. See why it's such a stupid fucking argument?

All illegal immigrants are breaking the law, its the first thing they do when they cross illegally.

That's the difference.

It's why we deport them, if they are caught.

"
Now, there are obviously caveats (if you significantly increase the population but do nothing to hire more cops to accommodate that population, you'll run into trouble, because the raw number of crimes actually does matter compared to the raw number of cops, but this is because it's important to keep the number of cops proportional to the population), but anyone making the insanely stupid argument that illegal immigrants cause more crime because "more people = more crime" needs to get their head checked.

You literally got my point, but then talked yourself out of it.

So, I guess talking about total crimes actually does matter, and you are grandstanding.

Anyway, to correct your analogy.

"
1. A town with 100 people living there that sees, on average, 1 violent crimes every year.
2. A town with 1,000 people living there that sees, on average, 20 violent crimes every year
3. A city with 10,000,000 people living there that sees, on average, 400 violent crimes every year

I scaled each crime, to a more reasonable number. Now, let's add immigrants.

"
1. A town with 100 people living there now has 50 extra illegal immigrants and sees 2 crimes per year.
2. A small town with 1,000 people now has extra 500 illegal immigrant living there that sees, on average, 50 violent crimes every year
3. A city with 10,000,000 people has 10,000 illegal immigrants living there that sees, on average, 600 violent crimes every year.

Crime, increases in every single of these examples, hitting the smaller population the hardest, while the larger cities are less effected.

For example, case 1, the crime has increased from 1 to 2. Which is 2 times higher than what happened originally.

It's why smaller countries with large immigrant populations were affected the hardest, because they don't have the police force or infrastructure (education, housing, food) to deal with a larger influx of people.

In case 2, small town it's only 1.5 times higher.

In case 3, a city, crime only increased by .5

So, you can see a huge disconnect with richer, wealthier people not feeling the effects of immigration.

While the people living in the rural areas, feel hit the hardest, and that politicians are being righteous [Removed by Support]

Now, we can play with the numbers, but generally this is what happened across the board.

And it's why the right wing gained a lot of popularity after the migrant crisis.

"
Also, for consideration, an excerpt from one of my favorite magazines.

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2019/01/the-death-of-europe-has-been-greatly-exaggerated

Well, you know what I'm doing. Not reading this huge fucking long thing. lol

I already wasted enough time on that ridiculous opinion piece you linked.

If you have a point. Summarize.
(⌐■_■)
Last edited by Al_GGG on May 14, 2019, 6:14:34 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

Why are we in Yemen to begin with?

Never mind, I looked it up. We aren't even on the ground in Yemen.

Yeah, I'd have pulled support out, since it doesn't seem to matter whether we support the coalition or not. The war would still go on, even without our involvement.

And it doesn't even look like they'd fail, with that many countries involved.

The only real concern is whether or not that support is so critical, that it'd destabilize the region, or our relationships with the countries involved, that it comes to bite us in the ass later.
(⌐■_■)
Last edited by RPGlitch on Apr 17, 2019, 12:47:03 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info