The Custom Avatar Art Gallery (updated 18th May, 2019)

"
VictorDoom wrote:
"
Charan wrote:
I'm much happier with how it's looking now. I've gone through the old thread and added titles/descriptions based on what people have said. Fiveby5's, in particular, is really significant.

i always thought that was marius from diablo 2 getting killed by baal from that cutscene..

Wow, the cowering definitely does resemble that infamous scene. Interesting observation...
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
"
ephetat wrote:
As the other thread was closed, I'm reposting the detailed background information on my avatar here, if anyone's interested.

Here's the full story.
My avatar was painted by the talented Kevin Hsu. Kevin did really fine work and was really patient with me as I provided lots of specific feedback... nevertheless worded as a non-artist.

---

Firstly, some backstory detail.
The woman in the avatar is a Witch, but not specifically Alira. The circlet is intended to give that away, of course. Her assassin is intended to be a Shadow, who actually specializes in Damage over Time -- the copious amount of blood is a reference to Puncture, and the facial expression on the Witch is supposed to be the effects of a Poison.
I originally thought to use a Heartbreaker as the dagger, but it wouldn't have made much sense as it's a caster item. And Bino's is, well, pretty much a butcher knife, and that didn't seem particularly graceful to me (it's really closer to an axe than a dagger).

---

The avatar is really a combination of two pieces of artwork that I like.
The (potentially) more obvious reference is the art for the Magic: the Gathering card, Assassinate.
Here's the artwork in greater detail:
Assassinate

For the less MtG-inclined, It's actually a reference to another card in both mechanics and artwork, called Royal Assassin. In any case, I really liked the vertigo-inducing perspective employed in this art work and knew I wanted to replicate it for my avatar.

The second influence is the macabre photography work of Jenni Tapanila, the Finnish artist known as suzi9mm. Back in 2004-05 I used to visit deviantArt regularly and suzi9mm was one of the top artists there. Her work is very inspiring, and the way she uses gore can sometimes be outright discomforting. I still squirm occassionaly when I view her work today.
Here's her gallery site.
The specific artwork I reference is one of her "scraps" called Kitty's selfportrait.
Kitty's selfportrait

It's pretty obvious how this one influences the avatar! But moreso than the blood -- which is really rather excessive in this image -- I was struck by the woman's fairly calm, sedated appearance. So I wanted the Witch to possess a similar expression, while slightly toning down the amount of blood so that it didn't dominate the image's color distribution, which revolves around shades of dark gray, white, and red.

I thought for sure your avatars was from the show Dexter it reminds me so much of that scene where
Spoiler
Dexter places Lilas paralyzed body into a body bag right before he drives a knife into her heart.

So I just finished paying for my conqueror pack you'll be seeing my name along with a custom avatar on this list one day!
IGN:Dethklok
lllllDanziGGlllll - 100 Ranger ~ HOGM
Mirror Service: View-thread/2479762
Old:870532
Last edited by Dethklok on May 29, 2014, 7:04:07 PM
"
So I just finished paying for my conqueror pack you'll be seeing my name along with a custom avatar on this list one day!

Grats! Thanks for the support :)
No longer a forum dweller, please use PM for contact purposes.
Hey Bex! Sticky this thread.
"
Moonyu wrote:

It's on the list above in the consolidated guides already. :)
“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”
—Leo Buscaglia

Contact support@grindinggear.com to report issues relating to the game or forum. Thanks!

My beloved pets....

Last edited by peachii on May 29, 2014, 5:20:13 PM
The Incandescent Heart

I Love the GGG artwork for my custom unique :D

Looking forward to seeing the 3D model one of these days.
"
Valley wrote:
The Incandescent Heart

I Love the GGG artwork for my custom unique :D

Looking forward to seeing the 3D model one of these days.

Looks really nice!
No longer a forum dweller, please use PM for contact purposes.
"
peachii wrote:
"
Moonyu wrote:

I would have never found it there. Stickied here (at least for awhile) makes much more sense to me.
"
Moonyu wrote:
"
peachii wrote:
"
Moonyu wrote:

I would have never found it there. Stickied here (at least for awhile) makes much more sense to me.

We all bump this thread (or technically the other one) so much that I'm pretty sure it's the thread with the most hits of just about anything on the forum (140,216 with 969 posts). Might take a break from first page for a week or two but it always finds its way back to the front page.

Hopefully all this wonderful artwork has enticed many, many people to get their own and go Diamond, Eternal or Conqueror. If you haven't already upgraded or purchased one, do so today to get on the list for the artwork. The sooner you get on it, the sooner you will have a new avatar!

In case anyone else missed it the sticky is here - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/376573
“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”
—Leo Buscaglia

Contact support@grindinggear.com to report issues relating to the game or forum. Thanks!

My beloved pets....

Added Valley; thanks for providing a title. :)
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info