The Custom Avatar Art Gallery (updated 18th May, 2019)

"
"
Charan wrote:
I'm much happier with how it's looking now. I've gone through the old thread and added titles/descriptions based on what people have said. Fiveby5's, in particular, is really significant.

This isn't quite on topic with avatars but after reading Fiveby5's blurb and seeing a higher resolution image of it. This just further enforces that the Shadow is incompetent which explains why he ended up exiled as he did.

Oh, that is IT. You're fucking with the wrong umbra now, amigo.

Spoiler
Time to get that new avatar of the Shadow silencing the Scion...
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
This looks really great Charan, as always thanks for the hard work on it.

These artworks really deserve to be show cased as you have them, they are all just wonderfully different.
“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”
—Leo Buscaglia

Contact support@grindinggear.com to report issues relating to the game or forum. Thanks!

My beloved pets....

Ooh! I'm loving the descriptions. Some of my favorite ones are even more amazing now with the stories behind them. And how come only some of these have high res versions? (I was told you don't normally get one?) I would love to see more...

"
Xenest wrote:
This image is similar to one of the few angel tattoos on my arm. I believe that there comes a point in everyone's life where they discover their own Guardian Angel. The feeling of having someone or something watching over you, protecting you, is so great I can't even describe it. You must feel it for yourself, then you will know.

Hope this isn't too off topic, but I would love to see your tattoos.
Last edited by feyith on May 29, 2014, 2:07:16 AM

I need to submit something to GGG... :S

Just waiting for perfection to strike me.
+1 Shavs Project -----> /1075009
+1 Acuity Project ----> /990159
#1 6 t1 Wand FOE BITE (5 perfect mods) SOLD /1031745
The Tale of Foe Bite --->>> http://tinyurl.com/o6ox7an
Last edited by JakeAlmighty on May 29, 2014, 2:25:58 AM
"
feyith wrote:
Ooh! I'm loving the descriptions. Some of my favorite ones are even more amazing now with the stories behind them. And how come only some of these have high res versions? (I was told you don't normally get one?) I would love to see more...

"
Xenest wrote:
This image is similar to one of the few angel tattoos on my arm. I believe that there comes a point in everyone's life where they discover their own Guardian Angel. The feeling of having someone or something watching over you, protecting you, is so great I can't even describe it. You must feel it for yourself, then you will know.

Hope this isn't too off topic, but I would love to see your tattoos.

The early closed beta avatars, some of the first ones made, came with High-res larger versions. They no longer do.
“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”
—Leo Buscaglia

Contact support@grindinggear.com to report issues relating to the game or forum. Thanks!

My beloved pets....

How can I get one?
Nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Imho high-res should still be an option by paying the difference (considering hig-res version increases the cost).
No longer a forum dweller, please use PM for contact purposes.
"
rockmassif wrote:
How can I get one?

https://www.pathofexile.com/purchase

Conqueror Pack.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
As the other thread was closed, I'm reposting the detailed background information on my avatar here, if anyone's interested.

Here's the full story.
My avatar was painted by the talented Kevin Hsu. Kevin did really fine work and was really patient with me as I provided lots of specific feedback... nevertheless worded as a non-artist.

---

Firstly, some backstory detail.
The woman in the avatar is a Witch, but not specifically Alira. The circlet is intended to give that away, of course. Her assassin is intended to be a Shadow, who actually specializes in Damage over Time -- the copious amount of blood is a reference to Puncture, and the facial expression on the Witch is supposed to be the effects of a Poison.
I originally thought to use a Heartbreaker as the dagger, but it wouldn't have made much sense as it's a caster item. And Bino's is, well, pretty much a butcher knife, and that didn't seem particularly graceful to me (it's really closer to an axe than a dagger).

---

The avatar is really a combination of two pieces of artwork that I like.
The (potentially) more obvious reference is the art for the Magic: the Gathering card, Assassinate.
Here's the artwork in greater detail:
Assassinate

For the less MtG-inclined, It's actually a reference to another card in both mechanics and artwork, called Royal Assassin. In any case, I really liked the vertigo-inducing perspective employed in this art work and knew I wanted to replicate it for my avatar.

The second influence is the macabre photography work of Jenni Tapanila, the Finnish artist known as suzi9mm. Back in 2004-05 I used to visit deviantArt regularly and suzi9mm was one of the top artists there. Her work is very inspiring, and the way she uses gore can sometimes be outright discomforting. I still squirm occassionaly when I view her work today.
Here's her gallery site.
The specific artwork I reference is one of her "scraps" called Kitty's selfportrait.
Kitty's selfportrait

It's pretty obvious how this one influences the avatar! But moreso than the blood -- which is really rather excessive in this image -- I was struck by the woman's fairly calm, sedated appearance. So I wanted the Witch to possess a similar expression, while slightly toning down the amount of blood so that it didn't dominate the image's color distribution, which revolves around shades of dark gray, white, and red.
Have you made a cool build using The Coming Calamity? Let me know!
"
Charan wrote:
I'm much happier with how it's looking now. I've gone through the old thread and added titles/descriptions based on what people have said. Fiveby5's, in particular, is really significant.

i always thought that was marius from diablo 2 getting killed by baal from that cutscene..
I carve and sell real animal skulls, check out my work here: https://www.instagram.com/victorseiche/
https://www.facebook.com/victorseicheart/
World first Uber Atziri as 2h and 2h RT build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1058950
Highest level char in Closed Beta, Wytchfindergeneral

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info