Tales From an Alpha Tester Part 2

Great post guys, thanks for the additional hands on experience information, it makes for interesting reading.

It is also very encouraging to hear such positive comments from you all, especially from your previous standing as forum posters only. I'm sure many others besides myself are envious of your involvement, well deserved the way I see it.

Look forward to anything else you care to add as it comes to mind...
I used to be apathetic, now I just don't care.
"
Bartuc wrote:
Rhesos and permaximum, you guys should elaborate more on your experiences, even if you have nothing new to say. Just give us something more to read! :}

I'll try to write one at the weekend ;)
"
Rhesos wrote:
"
Bartuc wrote:
Rhesos and permaximum, you guys should elaborate more on your experiences, even if you have nothing new to say. Just give us something more to read! :}

I'll try to write one at the weekend ;)

I'm looking forward to reading it. Thanks in advance!
In since 0.8.0
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/kungfooe
God, I so want in on this.

I'd put in some serious hours, playi...err, TESTING the game for them. ;)
I think it is a tremendous boon to have people providing alpha feedback to the community. I have always been a fan of ARPGs and the last worthy successor I played was Titan Quest. I would happily pay for Path to Exile based on what I've seen - having it as a F2P game with options to support the game is a wonderful idea and should "flood the gates" with players to experience the game with.
Thought I'd throw in a couple of comments from my time in the alpha.

First off, a couple of people commented on some of the screenshots like this one, saying that the textures looked too shiny. I can say that this is is intended, and it does not look out of place in game. If you look closely enough at the screenie you might be able to see why.
There are also other areas that look merely "damp" rather than wet. I thought they had done a good job of achieving the damp-but-not-wet effect.

Secondly, I can say that the flask system works really well. It can act as a constraint not only on how recklessly you play, but also on skill usage. You cannot simply ignore mana costs and continuously chugg mana pots, as you can in some other games. A less powerful but also less mana-hungry ability can actually prove more effective due to the flask system.
It also means that the more often you use mana flasks, the more slowly your life flasks refill, due to the charges being distributed evenly.
As items, it is exciting to find one with some good mods that suit your character. A character with some great flasks is considerably more survivable/effective in combat than the same character with regular flasks.
I cannot wait. Honestly.
stalin was okay.
"
Malice wrote:
Thought I'd throw in a couple of comments from my time in the alpha.

First off, a couple of people commented on some of the screenshots like this one, saying that the textures looked too shiny. I can say that this is is intended, and it does not look out of place in game. If you look closely enough at the screenie you might be able to see why.
There are also other areas that look merely "damp" rather than wet. I thought they had done a good job of achieving the damp-but-not-wet effect.

Secondly, I can say that the flask system works really well. It can act as a constraint not only on how recklessly you play, but also on skill usage. You cannot simply ignore mana costs and continuously chugg mana pots, as you can in some other games. A less powerful but also less mana-hungry ability can actually prove more effective due to the flask system.
It also means that the more often you use mana flasks, the more slowly your life flasks refill, due to the charges being distributed evenly.
As items, it is exciting to find one with some good mods that suit your character. A character with some great flasks is considerably more survivable/effective in combat than the same character with regular flasks.

This is pretty interesting news. What sort of mods are we talking here?
RIP Bolto
"
Covert wrote:
This is pretty interesting news. What sort of mods are we talking here?

I'm not sure how much I can elaborate on the dev diary, but I will say that a lot of the mods change the amount or duration of the healing effect, or apply some sort of buff for the duration of the healing.
"
Malice wrote:

This is so true. One of the things I was the most curious about was how the health and mana situation would work out but I can honestly say that GGG has nailed this one. It will most likely take some time to become accustomed to it, but it plays sooooooooo much better than any other system I've used before.
In since 0.8.0
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/kungfooe

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info