The case for FFA Loot

I think many people don't understand that this game is MEANT to be with FFA loot.
It's ok if you don't like FFA for several reasons, but those reasons are exactly why it is in the game. It's not something that needs to be fixed, it's something you don't like about the game.

And I don't like the idea of offering options for this. The whole online game structure is about persistance, about giving everyone the same experience and problems to deal with.

The only possibility I see for it, is in custom leagues that are bought and set up by players.
But not in the main Default/Hardcore leagues.
"
golem09 wrote:
I think many people don't understand that this game is MEANT to be with FFA loot.
It's ok if you don't like FFA for several reasons, but those reasons are exactly why it is in the game. It's not something that needs to be fixed, it's something you don't like about the game.
FFA loot is not an integral part of the game.
WoW Erenor really hit the nail on the head IMO.

In the modern gaming world the static and boring molded gameplay desined to be fair to all no matter what is a huge let down for me.

Risk vs reward

Any thing that lets a players incress thare reward by risking the very reward they are trying to get has a ton of gameplay benifts to enchance compitition, skill , playstyle , and efficency. The FFA loot system is a breath of fresh air is a boring game world. Makes me remember when u had to be good at games, it was not just handed to u on a plater, u could fail.

The other reason that comes to my mind witch no 1 ususaly brings up is that in PoE u can get the best gear over time without ever actualy looting any high end drop or orbs. So lossing a high end orb or really nice gear that droped with great stats is a delay to a player. Not something that forces him to "win" on a drop war. Eventualy they will get the drop/or the crafted gear they need. Now if they losse that to a more skilled player , bad luck, ninja player, or a friend behind your back, they still can get to a goal and still get what they need. FFA loot dose not remove thare ability to "win" it just incresses thare will to become better.

The FFA system ATM will still alow a player/group of players to set up a locked loot system with a code of conduct if they wish between players. Yes thare will be bad boys but this is the internet im sure that's no suprise.

Just a sec let me grab a beer...@#*@ Ok how did I die this time

Learn the rules, it's the only way to exploit them.
"
SirSid wrote:
WoW Erenor really hit the nail on the head IMO.

In the modern gaming world the static and boring molded gameplay desined to be fair to all no matter what is a huge let down for me.

Risk vs reward

Any thing that lets a players incress thare reward by risking the very reward they are trying to get has a ton of gameplay benifts to enchance compitition, skill , playstyle , and efficency. The FFA loot system is a breath of fresh air is a boring game world. Makes me remember when u had to be good at games, it was not just handed to u on a plater, u could fail.

The other reason that comes to my mind witch no 1 ususaly brings up is that in PoE u can get the best gear over time without ever actualy looting any high end drop or orbs. So lossing a high end orb or really nice gear that droped with great stats is a delay to a player. Not something that forces him to "win" on a drop war. Eventualy they will get the drop/or the crafted gear they need. Now if they losse that to a more skilled player , bad luck, ninja player, or a friend behind your back, they still can get to a goal and still get what they need. FFA loot dose not remove thare ability to "win" it just incresses thare will to become better.

The FFA system ATM will still alow a player/group of players to set up a locked loot system with a code of conduct if they wish between players. Yes thare will be bad boys but this is the internet im sure that's no suprise.

Reward: +0.5 shares of loot per player. Risk: -1 shares of loot per player. Sounds like bad odds to me.
Last edited by Strill on Oct 21, 2012, 12:44:50 AM
"
golem09 wrote:

How so? It wouldn't be any less great without competeing over loot drops. If FFA loot is so important to the game experience then why are so many players playing solo? I disagree that it is ok that people are playing solo because of a loot system. That is not good for the game.

"
golem09 wrote:

It doesn't need to be fixed but the question is why can't there be more options for those who don't like it? Its a big problem for some people that can be easily rectified with a simple option to extend the timer, or get rid of the timer.

"
golem09 wrote:

And I don't like the idea of offering options for this. The whole online game structure is about persistance, about giving everyone the same experience and problems to deal with.

How exactly is everyone having the same experience? A lot of people play solo, a lot of people play only with friends, a lot of people play public and set their own rules. These are different experiences.

"
golem09 wrote:

The only possibility I see for it, is in custom leagues that are bought and set up by players.
But not in the main Default/Hardcore leagues.

Leagues are fine but I don't see why this can't be better in default.
Standard Forever
I tried group play today for the first time, ding Fellshrine farming runs.

I didn't think I'd like it, but I found FFA loot added a lot of fun to the multiplayer.

Yes, you get ninja'd sometimes. But there are also times you manage you get one over your teammates. It's very satisfying sitting on a piece of loot and stealing it from right under your teammate's nose, and laughing "sucker!" to yourself.

It means you have to pay attention. It's not just holding down a button, waiting until everything dies, then cleaning up. You can't get away with rolling through everything on autopilot.

It makes the game more fun for me and I'm glad GGG is sticking with it.
Last edited by BurnOutBrighter on Oct 23, 2012, 1:36:03 AM
Yeah those guys standing on loot with my name on it are the main reason I don't like FFA much. Not because they get the loot but because they could be killing some monsters meanwhile. Lately I think the timers need to be either a lot longer or removed completely. These short timers are the worst of so called FFA system.
✠ ✠
I really do not understand why some ppl are so hard assed about an ingame option to change loot system the way you like.

You still could FFA loot with your group, if the group wishes to. No problem. Noone gets hurt.

Me personally i just never grp randomly, because of FFA loot. And i never will. For me it takes out the fun almost completely. And i know, there are many other players that feel this way about FFA and random groups, too.

So why no option for a different loot system? Doesn't hurt anyone, does it?

The argument that noone would play FFA anymore is totally ignorant, i think. First of all, i think enough players would still like and choose FFA looting. Secondly, IF noone would play FFA loot anymore, it would still be the vast majority of players who choose to do so.
The way it is now: A part (big or small, doesn't matter) of the community wants FFA loot to be the only option. All others are fucked. Sounds like Kindergarten to me.

It's time for a change.
DMT:

Load universe into a gun.
Aim at brain.
Fire.
That is precisely what baffles me - why is the toggle such a bad idea? It seems to me like most of FFA folks would feel bad that there is someone somewhere playing in a party with a diffrent loot option setting. Mindblowing.
Be ready. You're not paranoid, you're PREPARED.

I quit this game every few months and so should you to continue playing it in the future.

The device is believed to have been dropped
thumbs up for deviating from a threads intention
(doing it myself somewhere else as well...)

I will be posting on this later on the evening I guess.
In short:

– I believe a lot of people have yet to make positive experiences with FFA looting. Get out there and make them!

- Disabling FFA or giving certain options has an huge design impact (and im sure this has been discussed somewhere else so I'll be looking for the right topic and link it here). The first step was made with the timer.

Just realize that now we talk about "my loot". This is not possible without your name showing up on it in the first place.

I believe this to be the main reason for a movement towards instanced loot. Since I know d2 and I'm not sure how many people do, I always see the loot as "the loot" and not "my loot". But this whole discussion thing is totally changing the way I perceive this feature!

In the early days you would complain about people that where merciless at grabbing all the stuff really really fast (or using pickit). And that's ok that way - find people at your pace or befriend the fast ones. That's been what I was doing.

This topic really is emotional (also to me). Not because of the whole loot thing, but it reflects how we perceive "da loot" (our loot? my loot? the loot?) as well as partyplay and the reasons for it in general.

Too many times numbers "+0,5/-1" hop into the discussion, when we really should first determine what we are talking about.

cu later,
ere
Erenor / Kaenro / Xharos / Darksidious / Apoorman / Tarparina

To see whether I'm currently online: poestatistics.com/users/erenor
Last edited by Erenor on Oct 21, 2012, 8:28:04 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info