Latency spikes and disconnects

read the thread more thoroughly and contact your ISP.
They said they are not going to fix it anytime soon. Also they said that they hate online gamers anyway and are preparing a wave of contract terminations with customers who are obvious online gamers. Wouldn't say though on what grounds since they want to keep it secret until the deal is done.
same issue. i play a sumoner this has ruind the game for me. i am now done.
also to say its not our problum. or its not GGG problum is bullshit. i was told the out of memory issue was also not GGG problum and look how that went.
Last edited by xxWarcallsxx on Sep 15, 2013, 8:38:22 AM
Same issue here - i will have to contact my ISP :((
60% loss on : ix-15-547.tcore1.PVU-Paris.as6453.net

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| WinMTR statistics |
| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
| 192.168.0.254 - 0 | 27 | 27 | 0 | 0 | 2 | 1 |
| carnot-8-82-230-187-254.fbx.proxad.net - 0 | 27 | 27 | 20 | 22 | 28 | 21 |
| 78.254.13.126 - 0 | 27 | 27 | 19 | 20 | 35 | 20 |
| p16-49m-1-v912.intf.nra.proxad.net - 0 | 27 | 27 | 20 | 22 | 27 | 21 |
| th2-9k-1.intf.routers.proxad.net - 0 | 27 | 27 | 21 | 22 | 28 | 21 |
| ix-15-547.tcore1.PVU-Paris.as6453.net - 63 | 8 | 3 | 0 | 22 | 24 | 21 |
| 80.231.153.66 - 37 | 11 | 7 | 28 | 30 | 34 | 30 |
| ae-70-70.csw2.Paris1.Level3.net - 18 | 17 | 14 | 30 | 34 | 44 | 37 |
| ae-71-71.ebr1.Paris1.Level3.net - 11 | 19 | 17 | 28 | 31 | 36 | 32 |
| ae-47-47.ebr1.London1.Level3.net - 16 | 19 | 16 | 27 | 32 | 47 | 35 |
| ae-58-113.csw1.London1.Level3.net - 11 | 19 | 17 | 27 | 29 | 37 | 28 |
| ae-121-3507.edge4.London1.Level3.net - 20 | 15 | 12 | 28 | 33 | 49 | 33 |
| SOFTLAYER-T.edge4.London1.Level3.net - 16 | 19 | 16 | 31 | 34 | 40 | 32 |
| ae0.bbr02.eq01.ams02.networklayer.com - 37 | 11 | 7 | 0 | 36 | 38 | 37 |
| ae6.dar01.sr01.ams01.networklayer.com - 31 | 13 | 9 | 0 | 36 | 39 | 39 |
| po1.fcr01.sr01.ams01.networklayer.com - 5 | 23 | 22 | 32 | 52 | 250 | 38 |
|37.58.67.210-static.reverse.softlayer.com - 19 | 16 | 13 | 0 | 35 | 41 | 41 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider
Last edited by Kulte2a on Sep 15, 2013, 1:54:17 PM
"
TylerRand wrote:
They said they are not going to fix it anytime soon. Also they said that they hate online gamers anyway and are preparing a wave of contract terminations with customers who are obvious online gamers. Wouldn't say though on what grounds since they want to keep it secret until the deal is done.

I sincerely hope you are joking. Since when is it against an ISP contract to do online gaming? And what does DTAG care? Bandwidth is bandwidth.. and online games use a LOT less bandwidth than a lot of other activities.

"
xxWarcallsxx wrote:
same issue. i play a sumoner this has ruind the game for me. i am now done.
also to say its not our problum. or its not GGG problum is bullshit. i was told the out of memory issue was also not GGG problum and look how that went.

The results speak for themselves. Look at the amount of packet loss and latency coming through DTAG and Level3. You either don't have a clue what you're talking about, or are blind to what is right in front of you. In the case of the packet loss in this thread, it is specifically a DTAG and Level3 issue (I suspect DTAG more than anything else). As for the OutOfMemory issue, that wasn't a GGG issue either. It was because you were either running with too low of ram, or you were on a 32-bit OS. So I can't see how you can claim "look how that went". GGG did some stuff to address some of the problems by reducing the size of art assets by 40%. It helped some, but not all. They didn't HAVE to do that though. They chose to in order to help out people with older machines. So get your facts straight before you want to throw a tantrum.
Even sorting through the inventory is currently a pain. I was exaggerating about what telecom said but it wasn't far off from reality.

It probably should be the company providing the servers to GGG that should be calling DTAG as business customers since there is nothing wrong with the consumer internet connection as such.

Anyway this problem is a couple weeks old already and I'm kinda tiered of firing up the game to check latency and quit again.

Also it would be nice to read a follow up from GGG -after they have requested and received those RMT reports- to see what they think about it.

"
TylerRand wrote:
Even sorting through the inventory is currently a pain. I was exaggerating about what telecom said but it wasn't far off from reality.

It probably should be the company providing the servers to GGG that should be calling DTAG as business customers since there is nothing wrong with the consumer internet connection as such.

Anyway this problem is a couple weeks old already and I'm kinda tiered of firing up the game to check latency and quit again.

Also it would be nice to read a follow up from GGG -after they have requested and received those RMT reports- to see what they think about it.

Glad to hear that your ISP isn't actually terminating customers for online gaming. That would be absolutely inexcusable and I can't imagine them staying in business long if that is really how they would treat their customers.

As for the contacting DTAG, the problem is MANY hops before it even gets to the GGG network. While they COULD contact them, the issue is well before their network and they have no obligation to GGG since they aren't the carrier in any of that. The only obligation they have there is to their customers which is why I request that everyone with this problem using DTAG to contact them and report it so it gets escalated due to the high volume of calls on the topic.

GGG generally doesn't respond to things that have already been responded to when they agree with the results. I honestly don't think GGG will tell you anything different than what has already been said. The traces clearly show an issue within DTAG and Level3. There is not much that can be said to dispute that for anyone who even remotely understands the output from the trace.

It is quite frankly appalling that DTAG could even look at those traces and claim ignorance or that it isn't a priority for them to fix. We're not talking about a minor gateway problem here. We're talking about a larger issue with them connecting to the Level3 backbone. I would imagine that the problem would affect almost anyone routing through those nodes, regardless of them being a residential or business customer.
Well I just thought that whoever is providing the EU servers to GGG has an obligation towards GGG to ensure a proper communication between their servers and the end user and since those people will undoubtedly have some contract with DTAG (the largest ISP in Germany) they would have more luck talking with some kind of professional network support.

But this is something that I have dreamed up and is probably not even close to reality since I have no idea about networking.

Anyway DTAG customer support in my case only cared about my internet connection working, which it does. So after explaining that the problem lies with this one connection and those IP's of which I understand little myself they asked me if I tried resetting my router etc.

They then promised to report the problem and said bye.
"
TylerRand wrote:
Well I just thought that whoever is providing the EU servers to GGG has an obligation towards GGG to ensure a proper communication between their servers and the end user and since those people will undoubtedly have some contract with DTAG (the largest ISP in Germany) they would have more luck talking with some kind of professional network support.

The internet is a very large place, and it would be REALLY hard for any datacenter to guarantee uptime beyond their own network. That would be like NetworkLayer saying that they guarantee ever user in the world will always have guaranteed access to their servers. It's just not something they can provide... since it relies on a LOT of other outside carriers and networks.

NetworkLayer owns quite a lot of network, and their network is VERY large, but it still relies on a lot of smaller carrier networks to get from their network into the ISP and eventually to the end-user. If the end-user were a direct customer of NetworkLayer then NetworkLayer would be the only entity involved, and all traffic would stay within the network owned and maintained by them. In that case and only that case can they control the whole chain of devices up to the Server and end-user network. As soon as the packet leaves NetworkLayer's network, they are under no further obligation to ensure service delivery, nor can they control any of it at that point.

"
TylerRand wrote:
Anyway DTAG customer support in my case only cared about my internet connection working, which it does. So after explaining that the problem lies with this one connection and those IP's of which I understand little myself they asked me if I tried resetting my router etc.

They then promised to report the problem and said bye.

Really, you shouldn't be expected to know what it all means. I wrote up a guide in a different thread a bit ago (which is linked here) if you care to learn about what it all means.. but the end result is that it is clear there is an issue within DTAG, and all they should require is a copy of the traces and escalation to their network team. That is all they should require from you. Yes you have service to your gateway, and that's fine to some degree... but the trace shows signs of trouble within their network that they need to resolve separate from your gateway connectivity (that your devices are working correctly).
Last edited by Drakier on Sep 16, 2013, 3:34:22 PM
I figured that it's gonna be much more difficult than I imagined.

I read through your post about the WinMTR report though and understand it much better now.

I ran it again and will write an email to DTAG containig the results now that I know what to tell them specifically.

Thanks for the quality info.

Hope this is getting resolved soon.

Edit:

I also localized the problem IP (217.243.216.202) and found it to be in a very, very rural area. Other games seem also to have suffered the same problems with this hop (GW2, WoW dating back to march).
Last edited by TylerRand on Sep 16, 2013, 4:19:57 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info