0.9.11 One-week Hardcore Ladder Race

Its a serious PITA to breech into top 10. Been bouncing between 10-13 for the last two days -_-.
Only a bit more than 2 days to go, had a lot of fun in this race so far and I wish everyone good luck now that we're nearing the finish line. Hopefully I can make it to 50 by the end, maybe a bit more. Too bad The International 2 gonna cut down my playtime hard, kinda unfortunate that it falls on the same weekend as the end of this race.
IGN: Yeph
Rip Jid and duolc.

This race seems much more competitive than the last one was, despite all the deaths. I think the entire top 10 this race will be 70+. I'm pretty much out of the running for the top 10 I think unless 5+ of the current people die.

GL to everyone going into the final weekend.
4th character, once again got all the way back up to top 20, think i was 15th or 14th when my internet went out. Dead when I log in 1 hour later after they fix it.

Tired of dying to things out of my control. It's a waste of time to try a long term race when random teleporting mobs/Vaal and internet crashes mean your character is auto-killed.

Too much luck involved, takes away from the skill.

Have fun guys. Hope your internet stays up.
Even when they minimize every possible issue regarding latency and general internet instability the races will still be 50% planning 50% luck. It's the nature of ARPGs, just going to have to have fun with it. I know I was having an immense amount of fun competing in the top spots on the ladder, it was cut short unfortunately but it was also the first time I've ever played a game 12 hours straight with a few short breaks in between. My focus never wavered even a little cause every time I typed /ladder and saw that I was gaining on someone I just needed to clear fellshrine a few more times.

I definitely would have made another character or maybe even several more characters if I was down on my luck, but this week is extraordinarily busy for me and I need my sleep.

Would be best if they did Default style long term races. Hard to test balance in Maps and Merciless and such when 80% of the playerbase doesn't even get there in these races. Then they're only left with Default league where a ton of legacy items drive the DPS to high levels.

Basically, they can't get an accurate read on balance when the vast majority of players aren't getting to end game with non-legacy gear. A 2 week non-hardcore race would gather a lot of balance data.
How Fusings Work: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/38585/page/3#p1451934

IGN: TheHammer
"
TehHammer wrote:
Would be best if they did Default style long term races. Hard to test balance in Maps and Merciless and such when 80% of the playerbase doesn't even get there in these races. Then they're only left with Default league where a ton of legacy items drive the DPS to high levels.

Basically, they can't get an accurate read on balance when the vast majority of players aren't getting to end game with non-legacy gear. A 2 week non-hardcore race would gather a lot of balance data.

I have to disagree. Everybody with a little time on their hands should be able to reach endgame in a 2 week event (like the one that was held few weeks ago). Also Hardcore tells you a lot more about balance than default. Since at default you can compensate everything with just dying and trying again.
Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.

Hardcore to the bone.
"
Hellskin wrote:
I have to disagree. Everybody with a little time on their hands should be able to reach endgame in a 2 week event (like the one that was held few weeks ago). Also Hardcore tells you a lot more about balance than default. Since at default you can compensate everything with just dying and trying again.
You can disagree, but look at the ladder standings. How many people are at an end game level currently? 25 to 35. And how many people play the game? How many builds are in that group of 25 to 35? A whole lot of life heavy builds, not a whole lot of variety (16 of the top 35 are marauders - 45%+, 9 of the top 20, 45%).

You really can't judge balance well when everyone builds defensively and the top end offensive builds aren't going to be seen. You NEED to allow people to die so that you can see how the builds that focus more on offense do at higher levels.
How Fusings Work: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/38585/page/3#p1451934

IGN: TheHammer
Last edited by TehHammer on Aug 31, 2012, 4:26:21 PM
"
TehHammer wrote:
"
Hellskin wrote:
You can disagree, but look at the ladder standings. How many people are at an end game level currently? 25 to 35. And how many people play the game? How many builds are in that group of 25 to 35? A whole lot of life heavy builds, not a whole lot of variety (16 of the top 35 are marauders - 45%+, 9 of the top 20, 45%).

You really can't judge balance well when everyone builds defensively and the top end offensive builds aren't going to be seen. You NEED to allow people to die so that you can see how the builds that focus more on offense do at higher levels.

You've got a point for the current (still running) event. I was refering to the 2 week event because it would allow more people (and a bigger diversaty of builds) to reach endgame.

I do not feel like compensating lack of durability with just dying and trying again. Path of Exile is about being exiled and about survival of the fittest. I have enjoyed this 1 week event more than any other previous event also because the progression has been much harder this time around. Wether thats caused by chanse or changes made in patches I don't know. But I really like it.
Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.

Hardcore to the bone.
And the your internet goes down for a few and they get no data because you died while not even there and wasted your time.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info