What's the problem with the campaign? Everything in the game is repetitive!

I've nothing much to contribute other than saying I enjoy running the campaign with a new class of character after league start. For anybody who truly hates it I'd suggest finding a way to make it more enjoyable, otherwise hate life if you want to run a second character onwards.

For me, I found a lot of enjoyment when I decided to make a deliberate effort to actually LEARN IT. Lolcohols videos were really helpful early on, and if by some miracle you suddenly get the ich to get even better we're fortunate to have a lot of resources in the PoE speedrunning community.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFB6Je37RhE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGP5Vz_s1Pw&t=2843s
Last edited by TempestMind on Mar 14, 2024, 9:26:10 PM
As a new/casual player with limited gaming time, I like the option of being able to skip the campaign. They could make it so you have to play the campaign w/ your 1st character each season/league, but once completed, any alts would be able to skip the campaign.

Skipping the campaign doesn't mean you start off at endgame with a fully leveled character. You would start at the beginning; lvl 1. All town hubs/acts would be available and you could move freely through them at your discretion. The natural difficulty increase to each act/area would serve as a progress/build check. Endgame could be locked behind a lvl requirement and/or beating act/final campaign boss.

What this do is remove the rigidity of the campaign and allowing players to lvl up in the acts (open world, per say). And honestly, aren't people who "speed" through the campaign essentially "skipping" parts of it? I think it could be argued they aren't playing the campaign as intended. And having the option to skip doesn't mean you have to. Masochists could continue to play the campaign.

If they are serious about making the game more accessible to new/casual players, then I think they should reconsider. Options are good and make a game more appealing to a larger player base.

Sorry for the long post. :)
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
"
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
i dont think it is ok because the campaign by its nature will be a more complex thing with a lot more considerations, you have to go here and do this to unlock that and you can sip this bit of dialogue and not talk to that guy but you have to talk to this guy cause it wont autocomplete otherwise and you can skip this quest and take this waypoint then use that to come back and do that quest after X because that is a more optimal strat etc...

youd lose all that. these complexities are what makes the race interesting
First of all, you don’t lose any of that. It’s not deletion of the campaign from the game. Nothing would be stopping you and any number of other players from racing through the campaign if that’s something you find interesting. Record your personal best. Improve it. Compare it. Share strategies. Enjoy! Seriously!

no, poe has a ladder, these people are racing to be first on that ladder of xp, first to reach specific parts of endgame content to farm them for economic gain etc. its not about them writing down their best time and comparing it, stop pretending you dont understand just to be contrary and because you dont personally care about that side of the game.
Okay, first of all, if you spend even thirty seconds thinking about solutions for every ten minutes of thinking about problems, you often get more constructive results. In this case, surely you would quickly note that if players can have options, so can ladders. If there is demand for one set of records focused on racing through the campaign and another for racing through <hypothetical alternate pathway> then that's a relatively simple addition.

Second, you accuse me of "pretending" but you're here talking about what "these people" must think. What if they don't? What if people who care about racing don't need there to be a separate ladder for every choice they take? Have you surveyed them? Were you appointed their spokesperson? Or are you also pretending?

To go back to my earlier example, we don't need a separate ladder for everyone who chooses to do the Fetid Pool sidequest, because throwing away inefficiencies is part of the point of a race. It's not actually a problem, at all, if the campaign isn't the most efficient thing for racers. Unless, again, it turns out there is demand for a campaign ladder, in which case it could be added.
Last edited by GusTheCrocodile on Mar 15, 2024, 5:15:59 PM
Ladder? Please. Even more people care about standard than ladder and standard is considered beyond dead.
"
Aynix wrote:
Ladder? Please. Even more people care about standard than ladder and standard is considered beyond dead.

What if you replaced the word ladder with poeninja? Granted that's not much of a ladder these days but still the api it uses wouldn't be needed if it were not for tracking ladders.
then go play an auto clicker game , sounds like that is perfect for you . no wasted time , you dont even have to be there.
"
sevens67 wrote:
"
Aynix wrote:

What if you replaced the word ladder with poeninja? Granted that's not much of a ladder these days but still the api it uses wouldn't be needed if it were not for tracking ladders.

If we talk solely about "ladder" part of poe.ninja its the same. Vast majority of people use poeninja to check how popular builds are, check prices of stuff etc. No one gives a shit who was first 100 Deadye etc.
Last edited by Aynix on Mar 15, 2024, 8:07:53 AM
"
campaign is always exactly the same

With a repetition period of many times longer than maps.

"
After adding activities

Lots of those activities are available during the campaign, especially the new league.

"
you guys seriously dont mind doing it 8 times in a row?

Maybe I would, admittedly I usually focus on 1 char only. Doing the campaign for an alt is more variation than anything else.

"
ITs horrible because its not about killing monsters

There's plenty of monster killing along the way. Maybe you like Ruthless mode because there you need more loot. I have a hard enough time getting by with just the normal mobs I encounter on the campaign.

"
Im 100% sure if they would try one league with no campaign for alts the retention would be best it ever was.

And some people really liked endless delve. Or did you feel like that was more about going from A to B too?
"
sevens67 wrote:
All the while there is an invisible clock clicking in the background whether it be how much time someone has to invest in the game, or the anxiety of being behind the curve of a trade economy which has real consequences.

Less than 1% of the players cares about this. And the 'consequences' is just getting better prices. You still get to play everything you want.
Last edited by RealRoodvlees on Mar 15, 2024, 1:56:59 PM
"
caboom wrote:
1) most builds require certain lvl to start working and the fastest way to do it is on the higher areas

2)there is nothing of value in the campaign. drops are bad and outside the ones that grant a skill point there is no point in doing side quest for some crappy rare.

1) So early game you play a different build that works at that level.
2) It's of value while you haven't build up a stash yet. You can play SSF.
3) Do people remember how this game got started? No endgame at all! It's like the Uncanny valley, where as the game gets better people get more frustrated with imperfection.
Last edited by RealRoodvlees on Mar 15, 2024, 1:56:25 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info