What's the problem with the campaign? Everything in the game is repetitive!

"
Waitubold wrote:
"
caboom wrote:
2)there is nothing of value in the campaign.

Except for bunch of fun. People are too obsessed with optimal progression.

for me theres nothing optimal in my thinking, i want an alternate method for levelling because the thought of doing that campaign yet again feels horrible, i want to play the game, i wanna level a character and spend 100s of hours playing maps with it, the thought of going through those 10 acts makes my skin crawl to the point where a number of leagues ive just decided not to play the game. even tho if i could have got to maps id have loved to play it for 100 hours.

i hate playing that campaign with a passion, i loath it, i think the way arpg campaigns are made in general is trash and even the ones that are alright, i think poe has one of the better ones, its ok, but no story based quest mode for me is ever going to hold up to repeating it as many times as i have.

i absolutely despise playing it.
"
Waitubold wrote:
"
caboom wrote:

what is fun depends on the player, cant speak for everyone but i imagin that for the majority fun is watching their character become stronger or to see if it can deal with certain content and for that they will take the path of least resistance to achive their objective as fast as posible.

as said before campaign offers nothing of value when compared to higher area

self found league fan

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/324242/page/1

"
caboom wrote:
2 things come to mind

1) most builds require certain lvl to start working and the fastest way to do it is on the higher areas

2)there is nothing of value in the campaign. drops are bad and outside the ones that grant a skill point there is no point in doing side quest for some crappy rare.

exactly. i usually have like 2-3 chaos orbs drop in the whole campaign. then i start doing chaos recipe in tier 1 maps.(at league start only) i get nada from campaign

also usually league mechanic is pointless in the campaign. i'm sure there were a couple that were useful to do but for the most part league mechanic gets skipped in the campaign. just no point that early on
Last edited by Lyutsifer665 on Mar 14, 2024, 1:29:10 AM
I am sick and tired of this campaign discussion.

- it is part of the natural character progression
- you have to start SOMEWHERE, and it cant be maps as they are itemized
- we're having more and more 4-month leagues, if you cant find the time to run the campaign for once in that period, I dont know what to tell you
- if you need 10 hours to complete the campaign, maybe take it as a challenge and start learning to do it faster. 5 hours is very reasonable for seasoned players, faster in team.
"
Vennto wrote:
I am sick and tired of this campaign discussion.

- it is part of the natural character progression
- you have to start SOMEWHERE, and it cant be maps as they are itemized
- we're having more and more 4-month leagues, if you cant find the time to run the campaign for once in that period, I dont know what to tell you
- if you need 10 hours to complete the campaign, maybe take it as a challenge and start learning to do it faster. 5 hours is very reasonable for seasoned players, faster in team.

people dont just want to play one build...this game has like 100 skill gems (maybe more). even if it takes 5 hours and someone wants to play 5 builds then thats 25 hours already just in he campaign
you could never have a campaign skip for the first character of a season anyway. it would be a weird dynamic because no matter how hard you try to balance it one way would be slightly faster than the other and the league start is essentially a race environment. a whole aspect of racing is that its the campaign, its knowing the method to it all.

maybe im wrong but in my mind an alternate levelling method has to start at lvl1, has to take a comparable amount of time to the campaign and you cant do it on the first character in a league. it could only be for levelling up alts after you have killed kitava, maybe even achieved some stuff in endgame, uber lab or something.

its not my place to say what a credible idea is or isnt for the game, im not a dev. people can make whatever suggestions they want, power to them. but in my mind i dont rly see an alternate levelling method as a credible idea if it doesnt meet those basic requirements, it would be absurd.
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
you could never have a campaign skip for the first character of a season anyway. it would be a weird dynamic because no matter how hard you try to balance it one way would be slightly faster than the other and the league start is essentially a race environment. a whole aspect of racing is that its the campaign, its knowing the method to it all.
I don't think this is a sound argument.

It's like saying you could never have an optional quest for a respec point in the Fetid Pool available to the first character in the league, because the league start is essentially a race environment and racers will always skip that quest because that's faster.

I mean yeah, they will. But so what? Nothing bad happens if all the people interested in treating the start of the league as a race skip that quest. Those players are already optimising all sorts of things and consistently making some choices over others. It doesn't mean you have to remove those choices. They're still there for all the rest of the people who aren't racers.

If you have an alternate leveling method, I agree, all the people who treat the game as a race will use it almost every time. But that's okay. You put options in the game intending them to be used, it's not a problem.
"
Waitubold wrote:
"
caboom wrote:

That always happens and especially content creators fuel this.
I just watched a video "Is Monkey Teams a waste of time?" - MT is a challenge in Bloons TD6 where you can only use a set of 3 different random towers + a hero.
The guy on YT claims that the reward is so bad that it is a waste of time.
But IMO it's completely wrong. Playing the game in the first place is a waste of time (same with PoE and any other game). That's the point.

I also like the campaign in PoE. Where else do you get better gear and more power so fast.
Your gems level like crazy, you're showered in Books of Skill, you get a level up every few minutes and see your character grow.
I'd even say it is much too easy. Perhaps if GGG made the campaign harder people would feel that it is more meaningful.
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
The whole argument about the champaign being boring and repetitive is stupid.

It takes at most a weekend to get to maps, less if you actual play a lot, most of the fun feeling game play for me comes from around level 40 to 80ish (or higher deepening on how your build is doing)

But yeah, if someone is playing this game and complains that doing something again and again is boring they should really question why they are playing...because you are playing a style of game that IS by definition repetitive.
And removing one of the only things that breaks up mapping means it is more repetitive and thus more boring.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
"
Waitubold wrote:

"
Aynix wrote:
Im 100% sure if they would try one league with no campaign for alts the retention would be best it ever was.

Not only am I not convinced, I think the opposite might well be true: trivializing character progression might just trivialize the entire game, resulting in worse retention. And since the only way to test that is to make drastic changes to one of the most successful ARPGs in the market, in a way that might just kill it completely, I'd say it's not worth the risk. Since Jonathan's already said that they're not going to do it, I'd guess that they're seeing the same risk.

Oh yeah? Just like trivializing getting good gear will make people leave faster? Oh wait, Harvest proved that its not true.
Just like shitting loot left and right and trivilizing getting anything because everyone is so rich and things like MB or HH are dirt cheap will also make people leave faster because it trivialized the game? Oh right, Afflictiuon proved its not true.
It was many time proved that PoE player dont give a fuck about "meaningful stuff". They just want to have fun.
You know whats the funniest? Every time GGG was proved wrong they scrap the entire thing that proved them wrong and pretend it never happened. Look at current state of harvest. Same thing will happen to affliction (if it even will stay in the game at all). Ofc GGG will never remove campaign, even as a test, because it would just show them that they wasted insane amount of time on something people dont even care about. Untill they dont test it they can all live in delusion where PoE playerbase care about the campaign.
Last edited by Aynix on Mar 14, 2024, 4:56:29 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info