time for 20% death penalty

Honestly the exp penalty is just annoying and pointless, losing portals is already enough of a punishment in this game. And losing all your portals to a boss invitation loses you SO much time and currency too, just delete the exp penalty and the people who want pain can just go play hc ssf ruthless.

I don't care either way though, I'm playing my 200 mil dps zhp zero defences glass-cannon totem build that can melt ubers and any boss, I've died over 300 times and only got to lvl95 with normal mapping, now I'm almost 99 and aiming for 100 from only running Sanctum all day. The bosses give lots of exp, leveled several sets of gems to 20 already.

So even if the exp penalty was 20% players like me would just buy a 5-way carry or do sanctum all day lol. Can't die if I delete the boss in 0.1 seconds and don't let it do a single mechanic or attack.
"
Toforto wrote:
Honestly the exp penalty is just annoying and pointless, losing portals is already enough of a punishment in this game. And losing all your portals to a boss invitation loses you SO much time and currency too, just delete the exp penalty and the people who want pain can just go play hc ssf ruthless.

I don't care either way though, I'm playing my 200 mil dps zhp zero defences glass-cannon totem build that can melt ubers and any boss, I've died over 300 times and only got to lvl95 with normal mapping, now I'm almost 99 and aiming for 100 from only running Sanctum all day. The bosses give lots of exp, leveled several sets of gems to 20 already.

So even if the exp penalty was 20% players like me would just buy a 5-way carry or do sanctum all day lol. Can't die if I delete the boss in 0.1 seconds and don't let it do a single mechanic or attack.

"Can't die if I delete the boss in 0.1 seconds and don't let it do a single mechanic or attack."

This sentence says a lot about the game as it looks for many players today

Why should GGG even create an interesting type of gameplay, e.g. a cool final Boss?

Since a gamer like you doesn't pay attention to it anyway, just whant to have super power without no effort
"
"Can't die if I delete the boss in 0.1 seconds and don't let it do a single mechanic or attack."

Why should GGG even create an interesting type of gameplay, e.g. a cool final Boss?

Since a gamer like you doesn't pay attention to it anyway, just whant to have super power without no effort

Well yes, blowing up the screen and being super powerful is fun in games. It's fun for a lot of people, why do you think the majority of players are in sc trade. The tradeoff for me playing a build like that is my character is made of paper and a few bad altar mods make anything oneshot me in maps, and that's fine. And I always die to any endgame pinnacle atlas boss, or any of the maven boss invitations. I kill them eventually but they still kill me a few times lol

I also attempted uber uber elder and uber sirus this league and failed them both, simply ran out of portals because I died to too many attacks and unskippable phases. So no, I can't really do all the content, I can barely even get up to wave 20 simulacrum before I start dying. I can barely do flawless breachstones with like 6 seconds left. And if I die once in that breachstone then its over.

So no amount of divines invested into a glass-cannon build can make up for lack of skill, I'm 5/7 ubers because I simply suck at uber elder and sirus.
"
Toforto wrote:
"

Well yes, blowing up the screen and being super powerful is fun in games. It's fun for a lot of people, why do you think the majority of players are in sc trade. The tradeoff for me playing a build like that is my character is made of paper and a few bad altar mods make anything oneshot me in maps, and that's fine. And I always die to any endgame pinnacle atlas boss, or any of the maven boss invitations. I kill them eventually but they still kill me a few times lol

I also attempted uber uber elder and uber sirus this league and failed them both, simply ran out of portals because I died to too many attacks and unskippable phases. So no, I can't really do all the content, I can barely even get up to wave 20 simulacrum before I start dying. I can barely do flawless breachstones with like 6 seconds left. And if I die once in that breachstone then its over.

So no amount of divines invested into a glass-cannon build can make up for lack of skill, I'm 5/7 ubers because I simply suck at uber elder and sirus.

"So no amount of divines invested into a glass-cannon build can make up for lack of skill, I'm 5/7 ubers because I simply suck at uber elder and sirus."

You're right here, but it just shows that you want to bypass learning the boss mechanics by using ultra dmg, without any defense.
"
mentos1308 wrote:

"So no amount of divines invested into a glass-cannon build can make up for lack of skill, I'm 5/7 ubers because I simply suck at uber elder and sirus."

You're right here, but it just shows that you want to bypass learning the boss mechanics by using ultra dmg, without any defense.

GGG is at least half to blame for that. They keep putting mechanics on those bosses that simply disable any kind of defense you might have and they cluster the screen with so much shit in bad visibility that dodging it is extremely difficult even on a good day. Even most streamers who literally play this game as a job struggle with uber bosses depending on build/dps.

People wouldn't be so hellbend on skipping mechanics if GGG put some effort into making fun and engaging mechanics that reward you for making a balanced build instead of just pushing DPS checks.
I think we are a bit far past that Baharoth, power creeps miles beyond their ability to develop non-glass cannon content and honestly Ubers didn't help as they are already seen as "mandatory" it seems to many players despite the intention being that they are for bored people who already trash everything.

I give GGG plenty of slack on this one, aspirational content is unbelievably difficult to get right always failing to player mentality or straight poor balance.

Or both.
"
vio wrote:
but back to the xp penalty: players are levelling to 100 easily in safe groups doing legion runs or whatever.
this needs fixing cause there should be only one: safe xp or great rewards. why do players get massive xp and items for their solely purpose of buffing the one who deals damage without taking any risks?

The game is too fast to construct any sort of real group interactions at this point.

Could you imagine target casting effects on allies? Haha.
They want players to feel rewarded for grouping but can't force effort out of it so it's free.

They don't even really need skills to create better group interactions either. By comparison in beta there was more interaction simply because there was substance between the player and enemies. Most builds had some kinda flaw. Melee needed range to take out GMP. Range benefited greatly with a Slam melee up front. Very basic interactions that are just gone.

The flaws has festered so long it's clear as day in something like Melee Vs Range.
"Never trust floating women." -Officer Kirac
"
Draegnarrr wrote:
I think we are a bit far past that Baharoth, power creeps miles beyond their ability to develop non-glass cannon content and honestly Ubers didn't help as they are already seen as "mandatory" it seems to many players despite the intention being that they are for bored people who already trash everything.

I give GGG plenty of slack on this one, aspirational content is unbelievably difficult to get right always failing to player mentality or straight poor balance.

Or both.

Imo it isn't so much powercreep but the exponential damage scaling getting out of control. If damage scaling was linear they could keep introducing powercreep for decades to come and we wouldn't get half the dps numbers we have now. I guess they at least somewhat realize that themselves seeing how they removed damage supports in POE2 but why not fix it for the main game? It would solve SOOOOO many problems with balance in this game if they just did that.

As for ubers, just don't make them share fragments with the regular versions and gate highly desireable loot behind them if you want them to be aspirational content. Halls of the Gramdmasters is a perfect example of aspirational content done right. You don't have to do it for any reason except that you might want to. With 40+ divine drop gated behind ubers you can't blame people for feeling like they have to farm that.
Last edited by Baharoth15 on Sep 30, 2023, 3:13:55 AM
I mean that is still power creep lol but I agree with your whole post tbh including about the Ubers, though I think you'd find people would complain in droves that it wasn't "worth" doing.

Player mentality just isn't the same as it was in this regard.
Yes it's still powercreep. Thing is, they can't remove powercreep from a game that aims to release new content 3-4 times a year. The next best thing to do would be to limit it's impact. Right now everytime they introduce a new scaling vector dps multiplies several times over especially on the top end. If it would just increase by like 10% instead there wouldn't be as much of a problem. It would also mean that the dps floor and ceiling are closer together. You can't balance content in a game where player dps varies between 500k and 5 billion. If it's 500k to 5 million you can.
Last edited by Baharoth15 on Sep 30, 2023, 4:02:29 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info